Author Topic: accurate loads for AR15  (Read 1433 times)

Offline mtnbkr1

• Trade Count: (0)
accurate loads for AR15
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:48:13 AM »
Hey guys,I've got a DPMS 16" ss bull upper on an oly arms lower.I don't have a match trigger yet ,but I've done the trigger job mentioned on this forum.I've topped  this with a nikon buckmaster 4.5x14x40 scope.I went out today and shot groups with different ammo to see what ,if any,factory ammo shot well through the rifle.I had some white box remington fmj,some green box rem psp and some win supremes with the ballistic tip bullets.Groups were five shot groups from 100 yds off a bench.The remington ammo would put 3 rounds tight and two flyers,this is with both the fmj and the psp.Groups ran from 1-1/4 to 2.5" with the fmj's and ball tips shooting the best.Smallest of two groups shot with ball tips was 5/8" and largest was 1-1/4".Suprisingly the fmj's shot better than the psp bullets.Also shot some gun show reloads,five shot group was 2.5",crappy to say the least.All bullets were 55 grainers.Guess this should be mildly encouraging since it seemed to shoot the ballistic tips pretty well.And for cheap fmj ammo 1-1/4 isn't too bad either.I've seen alot better on here though.Any body care to share some wisdom with me on this subject.I know I should try different weights as well as brands.I also intend to reload this round and would like to do it on a Dillon progressive.Any one know of a powder that shoots and meters well.Thanks for any help.

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
Re: accurate loads for AR15
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:27:11 AM »
I have a dpms bull 16". I havn't found anything that beats hornady 55gr. v-max for factory ammo yet. Well under an inch at 100yds. I'm currently reloading and trying to find a load it likes. I have about 20 different loads worked up right now and will probably get to test this weekend. So far everything I've tried has been around 1 1/4 in. at 100 yards. I'll post my findings here for you after I test them.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 04:13:12 AM »
H-335 meters very well. I have a DPMS AP4 carbine that absolutely loves the 60 gr. V-Max. I will be doing more testing after deer season, but so far this seems to be the load. (1/2" to 3/4" @ 100 yds.) :)

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:37:06 AM »
Ditto on the H-335. I also like the Sierra 55gr spitzer.  KN

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 11:53:40 AM »
I like H-335 also for my best accuracy/hunting load I use 55 gr V-max.  You didn't mention how many rounds you have through the rifle yet but I wouldn't start accuracy testing until I had fired at least 200 rounds or more through the gun.  In my experience with ARs it seems to take this to get everything settled in and accuracy seems to get drastically better after this happens.

Offline mtnbkr1

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »
I'm not real sure how many rounds,because I bought it from an engineer friend of mine.One thing is for sure though,it was well cared for although he didn't use it much.He is absolutely anal about breakin and care.Much like myself I guess.Post up the accuracy results guys,I'd appreciate it.I just ordered some nosler 55 gr bal tips,55 grn hornady v-max and some 69 grn sierra bthp.I'll let ya'll know.

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 07:25:02 AM »
My bushy likes H-335 with 52 gr Sierra Hollow Point Matchkings.  About 1/2" @ 100 yards. 

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 05:19:21 AM »
both of my bushys like benchmark.   i have been shooting 55 grain fmjs with both benchmark and varget,  but benchmark is definately a more accurate powderi n my two guns.  prints nice little clover-leafs @100yards

Offline Wingman26

• Avid Poster
    • Wingman 26 Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »
Also shot some gun show reloads,five shot group was 2.5",crappy to say the least.

I've seen alot better on here though.Any body care to share some wisdom with me on this subject.I know I should try different weights as well as brands.I also intend to reload this round and would like to do it on a Dillon progressive.Any one know of a powder that shoots and meters well.Thanks for any help.

Stay away from gun show reloads, they can be dangerous!  It's not worth the risk of the destruction of your rifle, or the risk of personal injury shooting junk reloads from gun shows.

I've used AA2230 with great results, also AA2460, I've also had good results with H335, all of those meter beautifully.

John
Site Staff  http://mp-pistol.com/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
I just got done testing 20 different loads. My most accurate loads were
55gr v-max 25.3 gr. varget
55gr v-max 26gr varget
55gr. sp 25.3gr h335
52gr hpbt 26gr h335
68gr hpbt 23.5gr varget
All of these loads held 3/4 in. or under at 100 yards.
The most accurate load was 52gr hpbt 26gr varget. 5 shots all touching.
A2460 didn't do well at all. 1in. groups at best.

These were shot out of my DPMS 16" bull barrel flat top. 6-24x40 Tasco scope.