Author Topic: metric vs imperial systems  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: metric vs imperial systems
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
 Gotta admit, I can see one good reason to stay with imperial in the US...

About a year ago I noticed a guy I work with in the parking lot. He had the seat off of his Harley, fiddling around with something under there. I asked him what was up and he said it wouldn't start; battery cable had come loose. He needed a 9/16 wrench and went beck into the shop to get one.

It didn't fit and he said "S#1T!" I leaned over him and muttered "Hmmm.... Must be Metric, eh?

Suffice it to say that I learned one should never to say that to a biker with a broken Harley, lest one wants to be beaten to death with a 9/16 wrench.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2010, 03:40:13 AM »
Many individual components are made under contract, and the newer the Harley, the more likely these will be imported. Things like brake calipers, ignition modules, gauges, etc.

Mine is a '92, it has very few metric components, and I keep the appropriate wrenches in the toolbag.

10mm, 12mm, and 13mm are all I've ever needed on the road.

The nut on the starter's positive terminal is 13mm. 1/2" is too small, 9/16" is too big, and there's no room for an adjustable wrench.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
For what it's worth the medical community went metric long ago, no real problems everyone adjusts easily.  New grads who are taught in metric from the beginning
have no problems at all.  I date to the era when minim, drams, fluid oz., and such were standard  and an unadulterated nightmare to work with.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
2x4's in the 50s were
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »
1 5/8" x3 5/8"    when remodeling it is always a trial to get things matched up .

Sub Flooring is odd ball now also . I have a slight rise where the new meets the old . Soon it shows a wear line on the surface .   
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
I got to admit that I prefer certain measurements in metric, the other in Standard. ie, Temperature in Fahrenheit because it is a smaller unit. Speed on a boat in knots please and depths in feet, or fathom, distance in nautical miles.  Windspeed in mph not km/h.

Tools in metric that isn't even a debate. Weight: whichever way it comes, I have no prference but lets make sure the ton is identified as either metric, short or long

Depth of snow in inches please rather then cm however.............preferably no snow period.  Metric decimals over fractions of any kind.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.