Author Topic: wheels for carraiges  (Read 786 times)

Offline Don Krag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
wheels for carraiges
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »
I'll be needing to make some wheels in the 24" - 18" range. What size wood do y'all generally start with for the spokes? How about the hub assemblies? I really like the looks of the CW era ones. Is there somewhere on-line I can find dimensions for these for different carraiges? These won't be for replicas or any specific type. Just for the "cool" factor and structurally sound for a 1.25 " bore, 18" length gun (~40-50 lbs).
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: wheels for carraiges
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »
Is your gun a howitzer or a gun?  That is, how many calibers (bore diameters) long is the barrel?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 04:49:29 PM »
Don go to the Cannon supplies list at the top of the board and look at the links for carriage wheels. One of the links is to a website where you gan get books on making wheels.

If look under cannon plans on the list you will find Antique Ordnance Publishers (AOP)  The sell full scale drawings of Cannons and carriages.  You can scale from those drawings.

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:30:49 AM »
All my blanks are 1.25" bore, 18" long. After the plug, the bore length is 16.5"...so 13.2 bore dia long. These aren't meant to be any type of replica and will be mounted more like a 16th century carraige, but with spoked wheels.

Guess I missed the wheel link up there :-[.

Thanks!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:48:31 AM »
I was trying to determine if you needed 12 spoke wheels (howitzer) or 14 spoke wheels (gun.)  Sounds like 14 spokes would be better.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »
I never noticed that. I'm guessing the differences are due to the weight of the respective cannons?
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com