Author Topic: 1860 Army with Stock  (Read 1363 times)

Offline mec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
1860 Army with Stock
« on: October 03, 2004, 04:47:27 AM »
Dixie Gun Works sells these warning that minor fitting may be necessary.  Ours fit Uberti and ASM Armies without any modification.  The rig is fired with the support hand under the grip/frame and behind the cylinder gap for obvious reasons. It's a steady hold with the downside being the fuzzy sight picture resulting from having the sight notch closer to the eye.

Colt addressed this on some revolvers by mounting the rear sight on the barrel.
The stock is mounted by placing the brass fitting down over the extended screw/studs on the army and 61 navy frames, aligning the hook with the cut in the butt of the revolver and tightening.  

I found marginal improvement over my one-handed shooting and would imagine that stockless, two handed shooting would be more accurate because of the clearer sight picture at arm's length.  The stock would be an advantage to the less-practiced handgun shot or on revolvers with heavy trigger pulls.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
1860 Army with Stock
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 02:08:54 AM »
I have one of those.  It did require a lot of fitting to the Pietta that I have, but it was worth it.  With it, I have matched my Henry Rifle at 50 and 75 yards.   Both giving 2.5 to 3 in groupings.   They are a sweet accesory for these guns.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
1860 Army with Stock
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 06:26:57 AM »
In that case, I need to practice with it and maybe attach an apeture to my shooting glasses. It is a neat feeling rig.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
1860 Army with Stock
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 07:00:39 AM »
Well, I am not too bad of a rifle shot, lousy with pistol.  I have heard all kinds of remarks about Pietta, but the three I regularly shoot are tack drivers, just not in my hands.  With the 1860 in question, my mother in law put all six shots touching each other at twenty yards.  Kind of left me in the lerch, I can't blame the pistol anymore. Won't be upsetting the  mother in law or my wife.      :D

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
1860 Army with Stock
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 08:29:32 AM »
wimmens shooters are a big problem.  They have this nasty way of out shooting us.

Pietta has switched to cnc manufacture and a lot of people are reporting significant improvement. The lemats I've used have been reliable and accurate if you discount the original design flaws which can be blamed on LeMat rather than pietta.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
1860 Army with Stock
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 02:01:19 AM »
Glad to hear that about the Lemats.  While watching Cold Mountain, I kept pausing the DVD to give my wife pertinent details about the history, especially when the main character has a lemat.   She finally told me she doesn't like dvds because of the special features and I can get a lemat for my 39th birthday if I would turn my special features off and just let her watch the movie.   I have eight months to go before I get one.  I keep reminding her so she won't forget.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
1860 Army with Stock
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 03:27:24 AM »
I got a pretty comprehensive spare parts kit through VTI Gunparts.  Before that, there were almost no lemat parts available.  VTI plans to stock the parts this month or mayby November 2004.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline missouri dave

• Avid Poster
Re: 1860 Army with Stock
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
I've been fascinated with these detachable stocked revolvers for years. My question is, if you put a cartridge conversion cylinder in one of these WITH the stock in place have you violated in firearms laws????
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline missouri dave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:04:39 AM »
Another thought I just had....Can you hunt with one of these revolvers with the stock attached????
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Fiveshooter

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 05:27:55 PM »
I've been fascinated with these detachable stocked revolvers for years. My question is, if you put a cartridge conversion cylinder in one of these WITH the stock in place have you violated in firearms laws????
Unless the barrel is over 16 inches it would be a violation of federal firearms law to have a shoulder stock on a revolver coverted to fire cartridge rounds.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 06:08:54 AM »
Dave you're thinkin what I'm thinkin...............now the next step is to get that .45 Colt conversion kit. I already have the shoulder stock for the Uberti 1860 I have, but it didn't fit like it was supposed to.........I had to massage the grip panels to make it work. What a shame...........the finish on those grip panels is sweet, JD45

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »
Back when I was in high school metals class, I made an attachable shoulder stock for my repro Colt 1860.  It was not nearly as pretty as the commercial shoulder stocks, but worked.  Anyway, I would hunt rabbits with it and did pretty good.  This was in South Dakota during the 1970's.