Author Topic: Difference between Nikon Gold and Monarch?  (Read 702 times)

Offline dodgydoug

• Trade Count: (0)
Difference between Nikon Gold and Monarch?
« on: May 04, 2003, 08:47:14 AM »
Hi everyone,  I know the Nikon Gold has a side mounted parallax adj. is that the only difference between it and the Monarch?  I am asking because the spec. of the model I am looking at says it has a constant 4 in. eye relief, and the Monarch in the same power range has a slightly varying eye relief.  Also the Gold is about 3 oz. heavier.  This may be due to the mechanism used for the side parallax adj.  
And while you thinking about scopes, any views about the Monarch Gold vs. the Zeiss Conquest?  They are priced about the same.  Which would you choose and why?
Thanks for your help

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 12:34:12 PM »
dodgydoug,

The Monarch Gold is a 30mm Tube.  That along with the side parallex is the only difference.  Comparing the Gold to the Zeiss is a little unfair because of the Nikon being a 30mm tube.  I can tell you that the Gold is a very impressive scope.  Bright and very clear.  Would highly recommend one.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline dodgydoug

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 04:47:35 PM »
Thanks Jon,
That is what I thought but wanted to make sure.
I am leaning hard towards a Zeiss Conquest in 3.5-10x  I don't think parallax will be a problem since I will be mounting the scope on an Anschultz 1717 using it for squirrel, and ground hog(out to 150 yards).  I own a Monarch, which I like very much, and have it mounted to a 6mmBR pistol.  I am sure the Nikon Gold would work well, but I thought it might be nice to have a german scope for a german gun!  Still thinking it over though and keeping an open mind.  If you have an opinion about the parallax issue please share it with me.
Thanks again for your input.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 04:25:18 AM »
Another thing that you may need to take into consideration is that scope rings for a 30mm tube are generally more expensive than 1" rings.  More importantly, however, is the problem of finding the 30mm rings that you want for a particular rifle.  I had a hard time finding 30mm high SILVER rings for my Tikka.  As a result, I bought a scope with a 1" tube (which, BTW, happens to be a Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40mm that I bought from the optic zone.)

Zachary