Author Topic: which rings  (Read 1095 times)

Offline flitz

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
which rings
« on: January 14, 2007, 02:56:29 AM »
would like to know which rings work best on the handi scope rail.
what are most of you using?also would like to scope it with the
mueller apv4.5x14x40.they say it is for smaller caliber rifles.this
would be on a 223 would that be considered small or are they
talking .17 and .22

thanks flitz
TO THE HUNT

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: which rings
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 04:11:03 AM »
I use a lot of diffrent rings on my handis , depending on the oct. bell of the scope you will need mid. high , high or extra high to clear the hammer . at around $ 20 a set the Weavers are hard to beat and work well .

Just my .02 worth

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MTGlass

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:39:22 AM »
Not to hijack this thread, but I've been meaning to ask the same question.  More specifically too, do any of the rings that work on the Handi rail have a mechanical windage adjustment, like Leupold and many others do?  I'm referring to the two large screws on either side of the rear ring.

I ask because I prefer to mechanically center the windage crosshair in the scope, then mechanically align the scope axis as close to parallel as possible with the bore axis before going to the laser for final bore sighting.

This process works great with rings that can be turned in the bases.  Will I be able to use it on Handis too?

Thanks,

MTGlass

Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:42:01 AM »
I use the Leupold Rifleman #55870 rings. High enough for any scope I've ever used and I've never used the hammer spur extension piece on any of my rifles, shotguns, or muzzy. Not too high to make them uncomfortable or inefficient to use.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:51:40 AM »
I have used alot of diff rings but mostly use the same ones as lik2hunt uses

MTGlass i think millot(sp?) has wind adjustment on there weaver style rings. Screw in each side individually so you can losen one a bit & tighten the other. Hope this helps
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:54:33 AM »
MTGlass, I am in the minority here but I like and use the Millet Angle Locs, the ones ONE HOLE 4570  mentioned. They have the adjustment you refer to and as long as you are careful and not mechanically challanged I feel they work extremely well for the money. Others here disagree but they work and work well for me. There are however many other good rings out there, the Weavers are inexpensive and strong and the Leupold Rifleman rings are said to be nice for the money also...<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 05:37:30 AM »
I use medium Burris Signature Zee rings almost exclusively which can be used with the offset inserts so the scope can have the reticle mechanically centered and then the scope mounted and bore sighted without ever touching the turret adjustments. They also won't damage a scope and ring lapping isn't required, unlike conventional rings.

The Mueller APV is just that, All Purpose Variable, will work on high power calibers just as well as rimfire, several members at RFC have used them on .308Winchester, 6mm-284 and such with no problems. Give Rich a call at Mueller and get his opinion on it.

Tim

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155790&highlight=APV+centerfire
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 05:54:15 AM »
Burris Signature Zee rings ;)

McLernon

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:35:46 AM »
I use leupold rifleman from Wal-mart. All but 1 are the highs one is medium.

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you.
 I have added both the Millet angle Loc and Burris Zee to my Midway wish list.  I'll prpbably start a new thread about how to align the Zee rings if I decide to go that route.

Cordially,

MTGlass
Cordially,

MTGlass

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
Unless Midway has a sale on rings, Midsouth has better prices and less shipping on just about anything they carry, and they're a GBO sponsor!! ;)

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 06:25:44 AM »
Quick,

Thanks for the tip.  Looks like MidSouth won't honor my C&R license for dealer pricing as Midway & Brownells do.  I'll still do a little Window shopping before I order.

Cordially,

MTGlass
Cordially,

MTGlass

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 07:40:01 AM »
I like to go to my local gun shop and we find the rings that will mount the lowest.
That way its only 10 feet to take back the ones that don't fit.
Also they can bore sight when done usually free with purchase.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 09:59:59 AM »
With the self-aligning feature of the Burris Signature Zee rings you never have to lap the rings to prevent scope tube damage!!!

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »
I have a bunch of scopes that have been mounted in Signature Zees, none have so much as an inkling of any marks from rings, I fully believe that a lot of scope problems are caused by dented tubes caused by improper mountng in rings, either from not being lapped, or ring misalignment. If there's a dent on the outside, what's the displaced metal doing to the inner workings of the scope and even more to the point, alignment of the rear tube to the front tube and the lenses in each end. ???

Tim

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 10:17:29 AM »
Excellent post Quick ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mc

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »
I have read up on a whole bunch of rings when I bought my glass for my handi.  I went with a Burris fulfield II 4.5 - 24 x 42.  I looked at the signature zee rings and have heard nothing but good things.  This is reinforced by the fact I am absolutely satisfied with my optics from them.  I ended up going with a set of weaver rings that was supplied by my local gun shop.  H&R sent me the wrong rifle ( blued instead of stainless), but the shop I go to locally are pretty stand up guys and threw in the rings with the bore sighting because of my inconvenience.  So I went with the freebies.  That is the only reason that I changed my mind.
TJM

Offline northjdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »
I just purchased some Leupold QRW (quick release weaver) rings. They're a bit spendy but in theory they should allow me to move a scope between several rifles and as long as I'm consistant with how I attach and as long as I make a note of the scope settings for each gun they should be little difficutly to zero. That's the idea anyway. I got the medium rings (.850 height) for my Buckmasters 4.5x 14 and they clear just fine because the hammer isn't at the widest part of the scope tube.
Inches make champions.

Vince Lombardi

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 01:48:53 PM »
The leupold QRWs get another vote from me. I've tried all kinds of rings (weaver std and quads, millet angle-locs) and these are the only design (along with warne) which are rock solid and do not leave marks on the tube. As far as the windage adjustment idea, I understand the concept, but believe it introduces more variables. With a strong weaver style mount with one side clamp, each ring has a definite home on the mount. On a hunt with other designs, such as the angleloc, you can't even think of tightening the screws without sighting in again. Lots of personal experience has shown that you can remove the scope in good quick release rings and return it without a POI shift of more than 1/2". Also, significant windage adjustments are not necessary on a properly made rifle (bore axis true with receiver) with properly installed bases. NEF/HR bases are usually spot on when done by the factory. With the QRWs I have absolutely no doubts in them, but yes they are heavy and more costly.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 07:02:24 PM »

I'm not meaning to hijack this but to let you know you can get a dealer price from Brownell's. I get a dealer price from my wife's consulting business. It's not even firearms related but Brownell's told me that as long as it's a business they'll give the discount.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
Sometime ago I purchased many sets of Tasco aluminum rings that I think are labled "high" All of our handis and Trackers have these on them. They came with the friction tape inside the ring bearing surface and these have worked great for me. I think I paid $2.oo per set. They are the same ones that cdnn sells as there target sports brand if I recall rightly........

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 01:24:24 AM »
IMHO, the Millet Angle Loc rings have caused more damage to scopes than any other ring. The Burris rings are excellent!
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline northjdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 02:32:15 PM »
I wanted to post an update. I purchased some Leupold QRW rings 2 weeks ago. I had zeroed my Buckmasters 4-14 on my hm2 then moved it to another rifle. I carefully moved it back to the Hm2 and checked my zero at the range. I was within 1/4" at 50yards. So, it appears that these rings will do what they're supposed to do.
Inches make champions.

Vince Lombardi

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
I have several sets of Millet Angle Loc rings and heve never damaged a scope with them or have them fail me. Perhaps it's not the rings but the user (i.e. - the nut behind the wheel) who tries to crank them all aound in different directions instead of using them as they were designed to be used....<><.... ::)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley