Author Topic: Getting a new scope need help  (Read 644 times)

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
Getting a new scope need help
« on: January 21, 2007, 05:39:20 PM »
Im looking at getting a new scope before the end of the month. The two scopes I'm looking at are the Nikon Monarch Scope 4-12x 40mm Adjustable Objective BDC Reticle Matte. I can get it till the end of the month for $280 normal retail is $355. The other scope is the Mueller 3-10x44mm Tac II w/Tactical Knobs its $300. Ive heard good things about both but I have never had a chance to look thru one. Has anybody had a chance to look thru either or both scopes? I going to put the scope on a NEF 223. I do some bench shooting but that is mostly working up loads. Ill be mainly hunting with it both day and night.
Which one would you get? And why?

Ron

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Getting a new scope need help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:51:21 AM »
Steal $100 from the cookie jar and buy a Ziess from the optic zone.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Ahab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:51:56 AM »
Steal $100 from the cookie jar and buy a Ziess from the optic zone.

I have the Nikon and the Zeiss. The Nikon is a great scope for the money and I like the BDC feature ,it's mounted on a .257WBY. The Zeiss is on a 7mm-08 and is slightly better optically but not by much. While I don't own a Mueller, I have looked thru them and while they appear to be similar, I thought they may just be less bright than the Nikon Monarch. I think you would be happy with the Monarch.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:22:15 AM »
Nikon monarch for the money...all the way.

If you can spend a little more, then get the Conquest from theopticzone.

Another choice is the Bushnell Elite 4200 series.

I don't know much about the Mueller, but I have a lot of experience with Nikon Monarchs, Elite 4200s, and Zeiss Conquests, and recommend them highly.

The BDL reticle is a personal preference for anyone, so I can't comment on that.

Zachary

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:31:11 AM »
I've had several Monarchs.  Very pleased with all of them, and I can recommend them easily.  Never even laid eyes on a Meuller, so I can't say anything about them.  Before I bought my first Monarch, I compared it to a Zeiss Conquest, and couldn't see enough difference to lay out the extra $$$.  Also you might think about the Nikon Buckmasters, Weaver Classic and Grand Slam, Sightron SII and the Elite 3200's in addition to Zachary's recommendations.  I've used all of those too, and have been completely satisfied,  enough to buy them again.  Especially the Grand Slam and the Sightron.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 03:14:52 PM »
I would not forget to check out our new Clearidge Ultra XP scopes.  You can get the same quality as some of the higher end scopes for less money with the "Graybeard Member" discount.  We just posted a new review from a retired police officer, who compared it to his Zeiss Conquest and he felt that our Clearidge Scope was slightly better than the Zeiss.  I was very excited to hear that one!  You can read the review at www.clearidgeoptics.com/reviews_testimonies2.html.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 03:08:24 AM »
I own a lot of glass like most here

a lot of it high end european stuff
 and a lot of average glass

Nikon is good stuff
zeiss is good too

for the money the mueller is a great scope well made  i own 5 of them on loaner guns  to my hunters and friends i take out.  they have been all over the usa on hunts and the muellers keep on  going and are very nice glass...... cant about the clearridge never owned one........

i know this the mueller has been on par with my elite 3200 and my burris fullfield and my monarchs

mueller gets my vote.......

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
I went with the nikon.
Thanks for all the advice.

Ron