Author Topic: Safe Queens..or..Guns we buy and NEVER FIRE?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Safe Queens..or..Guns we buy and NEVER FIRE?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »
44 Man,

This is one area where we should "agree to disagree."

There are several aspects about using vs. not using an unfired firearm.  As you say, "enjoying" the experience of shooting a particular gun is a positive experience .  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this if you are willing to accept the consequences.  Included in these negative consequences is the depreciation of that weapon.  If you do not care about selling the gun in some cases for a substantially less amount then no problem.  Many will respond, "I do not plan to sell the gun, so what do I care?" and that is also a valid point.  On the other hand, for those that are concerned with maximizing the value of their collection for those who will be the beneficiaries of their estate it very well might matter.

Again, there is no serious disput here, rather just two points of view.

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »
Hey 44man.......just look/n at that colt makes me wanna run for my nebulizer........beautyyyyyyyy!!!!!

However....I share my point of view with JHT....again...no real dispute and I'm so glad the thread is popular!!!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 12:44:38 PM »
news for all you guys that want unfired rugers. Every one of them and proably every gun that comes from any manufacture has been test fired at the factory so I doubt if anyone has an unfired gun in there safe. Ive got a couple customs that cost and are worth probably twice what any old model ruger is worth and there much prettier guns because of the custom touches. But there still just a tool to me. They get road hard and put away wet! Im only on this earth for a short time and cant see any point in keeping somethng tucked away in my safe that some grandkid will proably pawn for drug or booze money a year after im in the ground. Ill shoot them now and let the relatives fight over whats left of them when im gone.  ;D
blue lives matter

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 12:41:56 AM »
news for all you guys that want unfired rugers. Every one of them and proably every gun that comes from any manufacture has been test fired at the factory so I doubt if anyone has an unfired gun in there safe. Ive got a couple customs that cost and are worth probably twice what any old model ruger is worth and there much prettier guns because of the custom touches. But there still just a tool to me. They get road hard and put away wet! Im only on this earth for a short time and cant see any point in keeping somethng tucked away in my safe that some grandkid will proably pawn for drug or booze money a year after im in the ground. Ill shoot them now and let the relatives fight over whats left of them when im gone.  ;D

Amen brother.  ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 01:47:27 AM »
Redhawk1, it's good to see "another normal person" up at these somewhat early hours.  I'm just trying to keep my internal clock adjusted for hunting on a moments notice.  Actually that's a lie.  With that said, I will admit that I will continue to try to fall asleep, insomnia chews on the big one.  Therefore, the truth is quite apparent I cannot fall asleep tonight.  This post is way off the thread and for that I do apologize.

JHT

"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 04:10:11 AM »
Redhawk1, it's good to see "another normal person" up at these somewhat early hours.  I'm just trying to keep my internal clock adjusted for hunting on a moments notice.  Actually that's a lie.  With that said, I will admit that I will continue to try to fall asleep, insomnia chews on the big one.  Therefore, the truth is quite apparent I cannot fall asleep tonight.  This post is way off the thread and for that I do apologize.

JHT

I know, funny thing is when I wake up the first thig i want to do it get on GB. LOL
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TIMBERTRAMP

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 08:51:33 PM »
I'll  have to fess up to owning a couple of safe queens a colt1860 army one of the ones colt sold in the 1980,s and a liberty model bh 45/convert.funny thing is I brought  both with the intention of shooting them.but because they they were mint cond. i ended  up putting them away and outside of my 22lr's ,a liberty model 357 bh 4 5/8 is probaly tied w/a king cobra for pistols I shoot the most,so I guess it's a combo of cond. and diffculty to replace(not seeing as many liberty models as I used to) I also have a few guns that I haven,t shot in at least 10 years or have retired if that counts-a ruger mk2 govt.I inherted -I prefer 6guns and a centenial model444 that i have beat the tar out of hunting in the rain-I replaced it w/a xlr but can't bring myself to sell it as I have shot a pile of deer with it including some with shots i normaly wouldn't connected on -tt

Offline offhand

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 03:33:47 PM »
Only one is a future inheritance comming my way, a mint unfired Sig-Sauer P-210-6 eighties era before they stopped production on that model, nine-mm plus another barrel I can't remember (7.62?) set, NIB with grease and all. Also a .22 conversion slide/barrel/ mag set NIB with it. One grade under the best offered in the p-210 then, I believe.
Might be too hard to keep from shooting it just a bit, though , too much history and quality I may never get to fire again. Shhhhhh...... :)

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 03:39:37 AM »
There is only one gun in my safe that has never been fired.  It is a Mauser Broomhandle I bought as a basket case about 15 years ago.  Many, many hours have been spent repairing and refinishing this pistol.  And oftentimes I get bored with the project and it goes back into the safe for another year or two.  But now the barrel is relined and I really am going to shoot it.  Garanteed!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 01:37:59 PM »
Hey IM,

Love to see a pic of the broomhandle when you get the chance!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2007, 05:25:28 AM »
Nope, never owned one. How would you know if it shoots without trying it? The reason why some guns are more expensive than others is they work!! Your going to find that safe queens are rare on this site?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline TxPhantom

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 09:05:06 AM »
We have a Titan 25 auto that my wife had for some reason before I met her. I think it's in one of her desk drawers somewhere. ???
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

Samurai Saying; \"After a victory is the time you should tighten your helmet straps\"

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2007, 01:29:29 PM »
Every one of mine has been shot.  Some of the older members of my collection don't get shot as much.  Unless something completely unforeseen happens; I don't intend to sell mine. 

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 07:49:02 AM »
I added another "safe queen" to my collection last Sat.  I was leaving a gun show when I met a young fellow who asked, "are they were buying guns in there."  I told him yes, then asked what he had for sale.  He had several old mausers, a Browning A-5, and a model 53 S&W in .22 Jet.  He told me he would take $400. for the Smith, it followed me home.

This is my second model 53, the first I sold because it got to be too much of a pain to get the empty cases out of the gun.  It was a fun shooter, and with the 4x Lepould, it was a tack driver out to 100 yards.  I will play with the new addition a bit, then likely place it in the back of the safe and chalk it up as an investment buy.  Course if there is no extraction problems with this one, it might see more action.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 11:12:40 AM »
One of my favorite pastimes is to browse the gun shows.  When I find a table with an engraved gun or 'old' gun all zip tied up so no one can cock it, I ask them "How good of a shooter is that one?"  Then I get to watch them recoil in horror and almost turn blue trying to explain to me how that handgun should never be shot and should always be left NIB.  I just shake my head and say "What good is it then, if you can't shoot it?" and walk away.  It's good to keep their blood moving!  Guns are guns.  And I will argue with no one that wants to save a valued pistol and keep it in perfect condition.  That is their pleasure.  I have just never been able to afford an extra gun that I cannot use.  I owned a Colt SAA a while back,  2nd generation, nickled and in .44 special, it was a pretty good shooter, but shot a few inches to the left.  I tried to find someone who would turn the barrel, but no one would as they thought it would probably mark the nickle plating.  So I just whacked the front sight against the shooting bench at the range.  That gave it a little left lean (but you had to look very closely to see it) and it shot to point of aim after that.  As Lloyd said, they are tools.  Beautiful tools yes!  But I still buy a gun to fill a need or purpose and I enjoy shooting them.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline vonfatman

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »
rockbilly,
SWEEEEET deal!  Congrats.  I love my 53...i'm getting ready to reload for it.
Now I just use the .22 LR cylinder...it looks to be the only only one of the two that
have been used.

I admit to a couple "safe queens"....a cherry S&W M-40 (from the early 60's...I have another M-40  shooter)
Unintentionally, my M-27s have become lazy because I shoot my M-28s.

I have a like new Post-War M&P-4" that sits around too...I have several M&Ps that do plenty of shooting.

My "safe queens" are a result of my stumbling upon a "too good to pass up deal" on a gun I have already...
I end up with a few lazy guns like this.

Bob
"Onward Through the Fog"

Offline dscp

• Trade Count: (199)
  • Active Trader Life
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
HOWDY !         I GUESS THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOME THAT DO AND    SOME THAT DONOT !    I GUESS THE ROYALTY RESIDE HERE . I HAVE A 629 CLASSIC WITH NRA ENGRAVING, 2 KIMBER ECLIPSE II WITH NRA ENGRAVING, THE 50TH YEAR RUGER BK , A RUGER COLORADO SENTENIAL , AND S E V E R A L  LONG AND SHORT ARMS THAT WERE NOT BOUGHT NEW , BUT UNFIRED BY ME. I HAVE A P-38 FROM WWII COMPLETE WITH OFFICIAL PAPERS THAT ALLOWED IT AS A SOUVENERE OF WAR.    I GUESS THEY ARE KINGS AND QUEENS,,,EVER SO OFTEN CLEANED AND OILED AND PUT BACK IN THEIR SANTAMONIUS PLACE.
     AND YOU MEAN THAT NOT EVERYONE HAS SUCH ? I DO HAVE SEVERAL FRIENDS THAT HAVE LIKEWISE COLLECTIONS .          BUT I MUST ADMIT THAT FOR THE RIGHT PRICE I WOULD PROBABLY SEND THEM PACKING TO A NEW HOME.      I HAVE 3 50 BMG AND EVEN I ADMIT THAT IS A LITTLE MUCH .
     I GUESS THAT YOU WOULD TELL ME THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE AN AMPLE SUPPLY OF AMMO FOR ALL OF THEM ???
22L.R. TO 50 B.M.G.
GOODNESS WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO ???
dscp
ENDOWEMENT MEMBER NATIONAL RIFLE ASSN
UNITED STATES NAVY RETIRED

Offline tomf52

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »
I have some collectibles that have been safe queens for a while and then I got to think about it real hard. What am I doing here? I go through my life denying myself the pleasure of shooting these only to leave them behind to my kid who will probably either blast the hell out of them or dump them to buy a stupid car or some such thing. I now shoot em all!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2007, 11:24:40 PM »
local gun dealer has one of those ruger aniversary sets of matching serial no. 44 and 357 sitting there with the pretty box. Guns like that dont sell real well up here and im holding out till he gets desperate to sell it and maybe ill pick it up shoot the snot out of them or use them for custom base guns and I figure that box might make good kindling for the stove and that glass top would make a fine window for a deer blind!! If your buying new rugers to collect figuring on making a big killing on them good luck. Most dont even appreciate at a level even with inflation.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2007, 02:05:03 AM »
I don't buy guns I don't intend to shoot. Even tho I tell my wife my guns are an investment ;) The recipient of my guns will get well maintained, AND well used guns. I need to quit buying them now, and get busy shooting the crap out of the ones I have!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,