Author Topic: Bushnell Problem  (Read 761 times)

Offline bgaston

• Trade Count: (0)
Bushnell Problem
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:03:15 AM »
I just bought a newish rifle and scope, and come to find out the parallax is HORRIBLE!! Unfortunately when i bought the rifle and scope it was at night, so i did not get a good look through the scope.  I guess I just thought it would be ok, since the gun and scope are only about 5 months old, practically new.

WOW is it bad!!!, Eye relief sucks too.

Do you guys think I will get any grief sending it in the Bushnell, to see if they can fix it??  I dont know if they will give me trouble since i am the 2nd owner.  I would think a company like Bushnell would take care of it, what do you guys think??

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Bushnell Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 04:18:19 AM »
You've really not provided enough information for anyone to give an intelligent response but I'll give it a shot if only mostly asking for added info.

What Bushnell scope? What product line? What magnification line? Does it have an adjustable objective? If an Elite then it has a life time warranty if not then it has a limited time period warranty.

Are you even sure that parallax is the problem and that it is not merely an eyepiece adjustment needed? it can mimic parallax if you've not got it properly adjusted and since you didn't mention I just can't know if it might or might not be the problem. It really is a far more common situation I've seen on the scopes of others than parallax.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bgaston

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 04:34:08 AM »
Sorry fellas, I thought i had put the type on there, but i guess not.
It is a Bushnell Banner, 4x12, with an AO.  I have messed with a AO, and that doesnt help at all with the parallax.
Also, like I said, the eye relief sucks too, it just seems like i have to get really close to the scope in order to get a "full picture"

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 05:42:46 AM »
OK now we have some info to work with.

First up set the parallax setting on the scope to infinity and look at the sky thru it. Don't stare thru it forever just take a peek. Are the cross hairs clear and black or fuzzy? If fuzzy adjust the eye piece until the cross hairs are clear and black when you peek at them while holding it up to the sky. Once you have that setting correct you can then begin to check the parallax. It might also have a bearing on the eye relief which should be about 3" or so on that scope I believe.

Turn the AO to 25 or 50 yard setting at look at the target at the selected distance. Now what does it look like? Make the rifle rock steady and move your head up and down and side to side and see if you see the cross hairs move in relationship to the target. If so make minor adjustments in both directions to see if it will or will not stop the jump of cross hairs.

If it does there is nothing wrong with the scope. If you cannot then it is defective and needs repair. Being a Banner it does not have a life time warranty. Did you buy it new? How long ago? Have you called Bushnell and discussed it with them?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bgaston

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:14:24 AM »
I am the second owner of the scope, just bought it, but it is practically new, only about 5 months old.
Thanks for the input, when I am off for lunch i will try your test out.  Then if i need to, i will call bushnell and see what they can do.

Offline CDA

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:39:25 AM »
There is a lot that I don't know about scopes. I use to think that parallax was a problem with the clarity of the reticle. GB describes the test process good to check for parallax, when the center point of the cross hairs moves when your line of sight is not centered on the scope.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 07:59:12 AM »
Here are a couple articles explaining parallax as it applies to rifle scopes. You'll see parallax error as movement of the x-hair on the target when moving your eye position around while looking thru the scope as Bill explained, it's easiest to see when the rifle is benched in bags, look thru the scope without touching the rifle, I usually center x-hair on a bullet hole, then check for movement and adjust the AO if it has one. Big game rifle scopes are usually parallax free at 100yds or 150yds, shotgun scopes at 75yds, and rimfire at 50yds.

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

http://www.larrywillis.com/tip015.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 01:45:25 PM »
Bushnell's "lifetime" warranty is limited to the original owner by their terms on their warranty page, with the exceptions noted, there is no provision for transferring the warranty to subsequent owners, if there is, they keep it a secret. :-\

Tim

In the past our products have had different lengths of warranty coverage. However, since 1984, the majority of our products carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Bushnell Performance Optics guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/warranty.cfm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain