Author Topic: How often do you clean your revolver?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Litefoot

• Trade Count: (0)
How often do you clean your revolver?
« on: May 03, 2003, 05:45:15 PM »
Just kinda curious. After each outting? After a certain number rounds? How often would you clean a .44 Mag that had a steady diet of .44 spl?
Thanks all. :grin:
"Other evils there are that may come...Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know..."-Aragorn, King Elessar

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 06:11:52 PM »
I clean mine after 100 rounds. If the handgun is for personal defense I carry it clean for my protection. I you're loading or using lead bullets don't forget to clean the crane where the cylinder spins on it. I've had more buildup with lead loads there on my .44 and .357. Dave

Offline DoubleA

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 08:41:11 AM »
I like to take good care of my guns, like my cars and my clothes.  I always break in all of my firearms, whether it is a rifle, shotgun or pistol.  I always take cleaning supplies and rods to the range for whatever firearms I am taking.  I haven't been able to go the range often lately, so when I do go, it's for at least 5 hours or so.  I clean most of my firearms as I am shooting, for example, my rifles don't get more than 8-10 rounds through them, before a 'quick' cleaning.  So after that amount, I break them down at the range, and run a few patches with cleaner through them.  My 'hunting' pistols, I don't shoot more than 3 cyclinders full before cleaning.... and some of my other pistols may get 50-100 rounds through them.  To each his/her own, but I enjoy the 'full' day at the range, and like to clean them often, and it allows for more 'relaxing' time at the range, away from people and the house.  I usually take soooo much stuff to the range for only 2 or 3 rifles, and about 2 or 3 pistols, that I have to make several trips to the car.  But I am always prepared for every occasion and have often helped others but having a tool or cleaning item that they need to help unjam or unstick their firearm.

Forget to mention if I have time, I like to take the 'little ones' home as I brought them, nice and clean, so there is no excuse to put them away dirty, and the wife doesn't complain as much as when I spend 5 or 6 hours at the range, only to come home and spend 3 hours cleaning firearms....
DoubleA

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 09:10:29 AM »
Like DoubleA I will clean my weapon at the range.  Before retirement I cleaned my duty weapon one or more times a week.  Amazing the stuff that shows up in an action.  

When cleaning I use a tooth brush and lots of bore cleaner to clean  around the forcing cone, inside the frame, and under the ejector spur.  I pull the grips and use the tooth brush again.  Of course the bore gets a good cleaning.  I then use the air compressor to blow the area under the ejector spur dry, and remove excess cleaning oil.  I wipe the weapon down, lube key points with break free, and wipe a very light coat of break free over the weapon.

I have fired a couple of hundred rounds in a day without cleaning the weapon, it gets cleaned before going home.  When firing an autoloader over and extended day, I will put a couple of drops of break-free on the rails to prevent a malfunction.

Between cleanings the weapon would get wiped down daily with a lightly oiled rag to remove dust, pine needles, ect.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 12:35:29 PM »
After any shooting session, its alot easier to keep one clean than to have to find one that NEEDS cleaning. :D   JIM

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 07:53:33 PM »
Depends, If I am just trying out a few loads I won't bother because I may do some more testing the next day. Most of the time I just give them a wipe down to remove the smoke and carbon build up and check the cyl so that rounds will chamber properly. Most of my revolvers shoot badly when the bbls are clean and it usually takes about 12 rounds for them to settle down so I don't mess with them until accuracy starts to fall off again. My auto shoots best with a clean bore so that's how it is when I carry it.

Offline Questor

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 01:55:20 AM »
It depends on whether I'm going shooting tomorrow too. If I am, I just wipe it down and put it away. If I'm not, I clean it.
Safety first

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 06:46:24 AM »
I clean my revolver adn other guns after I "use" them. If I hunt with them, shooting or not, I clean them. If I go to the range, I clean them when I get home while watching hunting/fishing shows...  :P
Cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 11:16:34 AM »
I like to clean after every use.  Sometime I don't clean after every range session (That is me being lazy but know I should).   I also do it after each hunting trip even if I don't use it.  I hate cleaning guns so more is less for me.  If we can put a man on the moon how come we can't get better powder?  Oh well

Hcliff

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 03:18:12 PM »
:D   For what it is worth.  My duty gun was cleaned and checked once a week regardless if it was used or not.  Lint check and so forth.  My guns that I shoot at the range are cleaned directly after I get home,not the next day,but the same day.  Kinda hard to break old habbits.  Like one of the guys said...Its easier to keep one clean, after a few rounds,that it is to clean one that REEEAAALLLYYYY NEEEEEDDDSS IIITTTTT.  I hate those type of guns.  Seems like I never get em right.   Stay safe...King :roll:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 03:55:50 PM »
After each use regardless of how many rounds I shoot. I keep them well oiled in case thay sit in the safe for while. If they sit for a while say 3-4 months, I will take them out, qick inspection, wipe down and make sure thier well oiled. I doo this on ALL my guns.

BP
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3