Author Topic: Tracker II drilled and tapped?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline jwm

• Trade Count: (0)
Tracker II drilled and tapped?
« on: January 20, 2007, 08:35:20 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the Tracker II rifled slug gun in 12 gauge is drilled and tapped?  Or is there not enough meat in the barrel for this?

I am not interested in a scope but would like to mount an aperture sight.  Williams?  Or is there a better choice?

Thanks in advance for any info.

John

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Tracker II drilled and tapped?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »
Sorry to inform you, they are not.  I want to do the same thing with my Tracker I 20ga.  The factory says none of the shotgun barrels should be D/T'd.  Many here have had it done by local gunsmiths and had no problems.  Some have even used JB Weld and had no problems.  It's kind of everyman for himself.  Good Luck with that.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:18:11 AM »
I mounted a Williams WGOS rear sight on another make of shotgun barrel with J-B Weld, and fifty rounds later, it is still on the barrel. I have often thought that the 28" standard barrel on my Pardner would make a good smoothbore slug barrel if only it had rifle sights. Am keeping an eye out for a spare barrel to try it out, and will J-B Weld a Williams aperture rear, and soft-solder a Shorty ramp for the front. I think J-B Weld will do the trick.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:20:29 AM »
jwm, We had our smith drill and tap 6 different Tracker II's in 20 ga. Our smith indicated he would not do it to the 12 ga. as the barrel is too thin. With almost 1/4"+ in the 20 ga. he forsees no problem.

Offline jwm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the info.  The one I'm thinking of picking up at a local dealer is in 12ga so I guess the D&T is out.  That JB Weld idea sounds interesting, though.  Maybe rough it up a bit to increase adhesion, and then use an aperture sight floating around in my junk box looking for a home.  If it comes off and gets lost...well, it's already in the junk box!

John

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »
JWM: If you use J-B Weld, keep a good eye on the sight as the stuff hardens. You think it's gonna stay right where you left it, and next morning you go to the workbench and discover it moved. The workbench gremlins paid a visit overnight, and that stuff is mighty hard to loosen . . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:57:15 AM »
I have used an adhesive that polychoke sells/uses to attach vent ribs to shotguns. So far it has worked well. Need to put a shorter front sight on the front ramp, not enough elevation with the old NEF rear sight I mounted closer to the breach. Have not pushed the front sight out yet so I haven't found out if the ramp will come off

http://www.poly-choke.com/

Give him a call or email & he can let you know
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!