Author Topic: Aftermarket goodies for nef 12g??  (Read 770 times)

Offline JaredDrake

• Trade Count: (1)
Aftermarket goodies for nef 12g??
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:31:21 PM »
I'm getting a recoil pad put on my 12g right now, and it should be ready by next weekend. It got me wondering, what else can I get or do with my gun? I've noticed people talking about buying fore ends from companies other than NEF, scopes, having the barrel turned for chokes, etc. From your experiences, what can I do/buy for my gun? I mean anything and everything, because this gun fits me perfectly, but man it kicks. Honest to God, it literally felt like my teeth rattled and my brain shook around in my head and it hurt all day. I went and bought two boxes of shells today, though, when I got my new gun safe for my anniversary. Hopefully, in two weeks when I'm not working Saturday I can go squirrel hunting. So....pimp my gun!
JaredDrake
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. - John Adams

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Aftermarket goodies for nef 12g??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:21:01 PM »
Lighten the loads, try some 1 - 1 1/4oz game loads, 1225 - 1250 fps, they're not too bad and with the recoil pad should be real shootable. To my way of thinking, the nice thing about shotguns is that they don't need a bunch of aftermarket goodies, just point it and shoot.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:55:21 AM »
It only costs a few cents and some time but if you burnish the bore (instructions can be found here) it will probably make your patterns a lot more uniform, it did on both of my 12 gauge barrels.  Also as far as loads, for most small game hunting you really don't need heavy loads, I use 3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 shot loads excluseively, Sellor and Bellot used to offer a 3 dram 1 1/4 shot load that I liked even better but they are no longer imported.  That is why I am thinking about getting into reloading shotshells not that I shoot enough of them to make it worthwhile but just so I can have that load available again.  I am one of the ones who has posted about choke tubes, you really don't need them for general hunting, I am just building what to me is the ideal turkey/predator/camp/woods loafing gun, 18.5 inch barrel, choke tubes, rifle sights.  This shotguns modifications is really not based on needs but my specific wants.  As far as the recoil goes, if the pad still isn't enough you can put lead shot in the stock bolt hole or add one of the mercury recoil reducers, on mine gun when I added a Simms Limbsaver recoil pad it made a world of difference. 

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 04:55:15 AM »
There aren't a lot of off the shelf goodies made for H&R/NEF guns. You can get stocks from Choate, ATI makes a an AR style stocks and www.gunstocksinc.com make same real nice stocks. I've seen various finishes applied, like camo dip and parkerising. Choke tubes. adding sights and scopes have been done a lot of different ways.. Check out the "let's see some handis" thread on the CF forum.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 04:57:19 AM »
Hey Leo, refresh my memory, what kind of stocks are you puttin' on your gun...I thought you said in another thread and I have forgotten.  Sounds like a real sweet set up.  Thanks

Jared, whatever you decide, you will have lots of fun tinkering and shoppin' for what ya want.  Gettin' em fixed up is only topped by goin' out and shootin' ;D

cookiemann

NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline JaredDrake

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 06:35:45 AM »
Check out the "let's see some handis" thread on the CF forum.

What's the CF forum? Centerfire? Also, I know gun stocks can be camo'd, and I'd like to know where I could get that done, preferably a website that lists prices. Also, can metal parts be camo'd?
Jared
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. - John Adams

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 06:42:05 AM »
CF= Centerfire, look back a page or two, there's a thread on painting rifles.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php#12
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 06:28:36 AM »
Cookiemann, I am just using the NEF wood stock with my shotgun.  I painted them camo when I did the gun and as I stated I put on the Simms pad.  I got my barrel back while ago, I couldn't decide which rifle sights to use so I just had the gunsmith put a bead on it for the time being, who knows that may work fine.  Anyway it turned out real nice, I hope to get to shoot it this afternoon and see how it does.