Author Topic: Good news  (Read 1122 times)

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • I hunt hogs with dogs. Any questions?
Good news
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:49:40 AM »
My wife has decided she now wants a handgun(new toy for me in long run LOL) for personal pertection while I am away from home. I am looking at the 380 or the 9mm for her in caliber size. Can anybody recommend a good, inexpensive, compact that she could shoot. She has shot her fathers' 9mm glock and can hit with it, but complains about the grip being too big. SO any suggestions are welcome.
Shane

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Good news
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:00:08 AM »
Some times price may be a factor, good and cheap are not always the norm. Now you may pay a little more and get something you know is going to function as a defense handgun. In my opinion, a new shooter that wants to get a protection gun should get a revolver. Why, because it is a lot easier to use in a stressful situation. A good .38 special revolver is better than a semi-auto that a person did not chamber a round and in a stressful situation forger to rack the slide. That is what I have for my wife, put the bullets in, point and shoot. Very simple. JMHO.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:44:07 PM »
I agree with what Redhawk said, plus I'll add another point on the side of revolvers. You said she didn't like the grip on the automatic. A revolver grip is smaller and easier to hold and grip well because it doesn't have to have a magazine inside it. The size and shape of a revolver grip can easily be changed which can't be as readily done on automatics. There are a couple of them out now that have interchangable back straps, but there are tons of grip makers out there that can work wonders on almost any revolver. Remember, if the gun is comfortable in her hand, she will practice more with it, and she will be more able to shoot it well if the time ever comes that she needs it in self defense.

Let her handle every gun in the store if that what it takes. Make sure she gets what she likes, and not what you think she ought to have. My wife has been carrying a SP101 for about 15 years now. She keeps saying that she wants an automatic someday . . . but she shoots so well with what she has, she just keeps on shooting it. (Especially now that she has CT Laser grips on it!)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 04:56:33 PM »
I also thought about a snubnose hammerless 38. I think that she just needs to go handle the pistols and see what she likes.
Shane

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:22:43 AM »
I have carried a snubbie S&W for about 15 yrs.  Unless she's a pretty capable shooter and pretty recoil tolerant, I'd skip the snubbie.  They are very hard to shoot for a beginner, which leads to frustration, and with any decent load, they kick hard, which for alot of people leads to not practicing.  I also vote for a revolver, but would suggest something like a medium frame 4".  In case $ is an issue, I thinks it's easier to get a reliable revolver cheap that an auto.  Good luck, let us know what she decides.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 02:56:37 AM »
S_J:  dubber has a good point.  I would look at two revolvers, both 38s.  One would be a used 4" S&W police trade-in.  They are always well maintained and not shot much.  That would be a good revolver for her to practice with and get to know how a revolver shoots in contrast to how a semi-auto works.  The 2nd revolver I would get would also be a 38 but a snub-nose and the one I am thinking of is the S&W M38, the airweight Bodyguard - it ahs a concealed hammer - it is not hammerless.  It functions exactly the same as a normal sa/da revolver functions but slides into the pursew or pocket very nicely and does not catch on anything when it is pulled.  With the concealed hammer she can cock it for single action shooting if she prefers.  Recoil is very tolerable with wadcutters and a set of medium or small size Pachmyer grips might help her with her grip and shooting.  HTH and JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:54:23 AM »
I want to be sure if this is a concealed carry item, or a "house" gun, as SJ said "for personal protection while I am away from home".  I think Mikey's right in that a "house" gun might not be a good size for a carry piece.  If this is to be just something for at home, there are alot of possibilities.  I just looked at a 99% condition 4" Ruger Security Six .357 on GunsAmerica for 250$, and numerous Smiths for around 300$.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:51:37 AM »
My wifes house gun for many years was a Security Six. Then, one day I brought home a Taurus Titanium Model 617 for concealed carry. Well its her gun now and she does know how to shoot it. ;D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:50:50 AM »
I have carried a snubbie S&W for about 15 yrs.  Unless she's a pretty capable shooter and pretty recoil tolerant, I'd skip the snubbie.  They are very hard to shoot for a beginner, which leads to frustration, and with any decent load, they kick hard, which for alot of people leads to not practicing.  I also vote for a revolver, but would suggest something like a medium frame 4".  In case $ is an issue, I thinks it's easier to get a reliable revolver cheap that an auto.  Good luck, let us know what she decides.

read this post and follow it.   get a full sized 357 either a smith or a ruger, if you want a revolver.  then shoot either 38's or magnums through it.   if an auto is what you want for sure,  look at the browning high powers.     so many people see those small guns and think of women for some reason.   they are a hard weapon to shoot because of the lack of size and recoil.   

Offline shermbob

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 11:45:11 AM »
Let her pick it out!! If she dosen't like it ,it hurts when shot, or any outher reason it will sit in the safe and she will not use it. Get her out and let her try some different guns even if you have to rent them.
shermbob

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »
I'm all in favor of letting her get acquainted with shooting via a small caliber gun. But don't be at all surprised if she later takes a liking to something with more power.  Women have been known to adopt the .45 ACP as their caliber of choice because they know it'll protect them when the chips are down.  They want that feeling of security a bigger gun provides.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
thanks for your help. SHe is not new to shooting and has shot rifles and shotguns for awhile now. She has shot her dad's 22 an 9mm autos and likes them. As well as could hit with them. She just said the grips were too big for her. She wants to try my 44 mag(I told her it is too much) and is still persistant about shooting it. I guess I need to let her shoot my Dad's 357 with 38's an 357 loads and see what she likes.
Shane

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »
You might want to track down a Kahr in 9mm, either polymer frame (easier to carry) or steel frame (easier to shoot).  My wife enjoys the way these fit her hands.  She also likes my 3" barreled S&W Model 60, when it's loaded with .38 specials.  I do the leg work, and find reliable guns for my wife to "try on", and she tells me what she likes.  She's got pretty good taste in guns, so it works out.

If you're introducing someone to a .44 mag, and you don't reload, it might be easier (and less likely to produce a bad flinching habit), if you track down some .44 Russian or .44 Special ammo to load into those magnum chambers, at least until she's used to the gun.  I've owned several .44 mags, and the only one that my wife really enjoyed shooting full powered loads in was a Taurus 44 with an 8 3/8" ported barrel.  In my .44 mag Ruger Vaqueros, my wife really enjoys shooting 200 grain lead bullets seated over 3.0 grains of IMR Trail Boss in .44 Russian brass.  The same bullets, seated over 6.5 grains of Trail Boss in 44 magnum brass, are also very easy to shoot well, and she can shoot for hours without developing a flinch.     
NRA life member

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:30:46 AM »
Take a serious look at the Makarov P-64 (Polish made)  it is a well made little gun in the 9x18 (Makarov), very sinular to the PPK.  They function well, are reliable, and fairly cheap ($150. or less), good ammo is available at a good price, and it will shoot the milsurp for practice.  THey are small and will fit a woman very well.

I bought two of these when they first hit the US market, I gave one to my son, both have been fired quite a bit, and neither gun has missed a beat.  The only down side to the little gun is the sights.........they stink, but for self defense will do the job.  It will be worth your time to take a look.

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 02:34:13 AM »
Remember you will get what you pay for.  Sometime cheap and good don't belong together.  However, take her out and let her handle as many guns as she can. For home defense I would not go below a 380 in caliber.  If you look around I am sure you could find some quality brand firearms that are used that will fit your needs as for as price, etc..  Take a look at the lady smith or some used police  6906, both in 9mm.  Also alot of newer pistols have interchangable back straps to fit the shooter's hand (Walther P99 come to mind right of the top of my head.)  Another good choice is the revovlers, they make excellent home defense guns.  Just my two cents worth.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline darrell8937

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 03:27:23 PM »
Ruger GP 100, 4 inch,  357/38

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
My Mrs has two guns she enjoys shooting and both surprised me.

First is my old M19 with the 2" barrel.  She loves that with full loads.  ANd yes, she hits what she aims at.

The second is as odd, a S&W 3913, with standard loads not +Ps.  Also accurate with it.

I know a lot will disagree with my reasoning for the 3913 but I like the fact that a round can be left in the chamber and with the magazine in her pocket and my belt, it won't go bang no matter what you do to it.

Same thing with the Hi Power. 

For what it is worth, there are a couple more options.

Oh yeah, load the 44 with 44 Special loads and let her try it.  Just cause it says magnum on the side doesn't mean that is all it can use!

Good Luck

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline sherpa

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
.22 mag
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 05:27:24 AM »
S&W 637
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 03:37:24 PM »
if she liked the 9mm, but wants something smaller, have her take a look at a keltec
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 06:05:51 AM »
My wife has a p94 in 40 S&W, which she shoots very well, a beretta neos, with which she has outshot some guys at the club for the money (they are camp perry shooters) and a 38 snubbie taurus ultra-lite.  She dosen't like the 38snubbie very well (because it's not accurate for her) but likes it for a carry gun because its light and small. 
She has shot my .454 casull, diden't like it, not because of the recoil but because it's too heavy.  She loves my K-38 S&W and wants me to give it to her (NO WAY!),
So you see women like many different guns for different reasons.  Let you wife try a few different guns and buy her the one she picks out,  If she ends up not likeing it after a while you'll just inherit it and have to get her something new. 
A gun would make a nice Valantines present! ;D