Author Topic: Another NEF  (Read 853 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
Another NEF
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »
Today I went into a local Ma and Pa gun shop. I went straight for the rack with the NEF's, Rossi's and H&R's... i found a real nice Pardner 20 gauge. There's not a mark on this gun, 26 inch barrel, full choke and is has the schnable style fore arm with a very dark, reddish stock color. Its pallet wood but the grain pattern has a very dstinct look, alot like curly maple just plain beautiful. It as near to NIB as you can find... best of all, the price, $120 bucks. It now as a place in my safe, and will see the bunny fields soon. Im sure i got handi-itis now. This makes no.4 ..i'm sure it will shoot as good as it looks, oh did i mention that it has a deep blue and gold case hardened frame ( sb1). ok i've bragged long enough..
Glenn

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Another NEF
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »
Congratulations Scibaer, it sounds as if you are a proud parent!!!....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:12:22 PM »
Congrats on the Pardner, but I think you should have checked around a little more.  A brand new Pardner at my local Wally World is going for $94 in your choice of gauge.  Just a thought.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 01:51:03 PM »
Oh yeah, Im happy.. i looked into the letter designation and its a 2000 model, so i can get other barrels for it too, and i've been wanting a schnable fore end for some time too. here when i live, mid michigan they un alot higher, new models usually are about $230 for the common calibers or gauges. the local wally world doesnt carry them and neither does the local sporting goods stores ( but they do carry Rossi's  :-\ ) .. if i could buy them for $94 bucks i'd have 10 or 12 of 'em... i have really come to appreciate the quality/cost of NEF/H&R's.. now to get a sportster, 17 or .22 ??  ;D
Glenn

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »
True, wally world is cheaper but I will often pay a few bucks more to do business with a small business than to deal with wally world.  Plus when you need something unusual or want something that is not made anymore, it will be the mom and pop gun shops that have it.  Plus if I am not mistaken NEF no longer offers the 20 gauge 26" full choke barrel, they only offer modified and screw in.  I guess what I am saying is there is nothing wrong with buying a gun at Wal-mart but the mom and pop shop usually appreciate the business a lot more.  

I am sure you will get a lot of use and pleasure out of your new shotgun, I am a real fan of these firearms.  They are inexpensive, durable and are very user friendly.  The 20 gauge is a great gun also it will do the job for everything from squirrels to deer with the right loads.  But you are right you can't buy just one.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »
The 20ga Pardner is still available in full or modified with 26" barrel, it's on their web site and in the 2007 catalog. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
Quickdtoo, thats good news because, I called NEF customer service last week and was told they no longer had them, only the modifieds and screw in chokes.  But the person I talked to must have been new because usually when I call I get instant straight forward answers and she couldn't answer any of my questions with out looking it up.  I finally got frustrated and just told her I would check the website, my plan was to actually call back later, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But hey, I don't fault her everyone has to learn and I am sure it can be very confusing trying to keep all the various models straight. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 04:07:09 PM »
Well, it wouldn't be the first time both the web site and the catalog were wrong, but they could also be out of the barrels, ya never know, they may very well have discontinued it, neither Sports South, The Gunsource or RRArms have it in stock. :-\

Tim

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GSB1020

http://thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=6809

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 04:29:54 PM »
Quickdtoo, I don't know, I have read many of your posts and you are far more knowledgable about the H&R/NEF line than I am.  I was just going by what they said.  By the way since we are in sort of having a conversation, I would like to thank you taking the time/effort to gather all the information that you post to make things easier for your fellow handi-holics, it has saved me a lot of time and aggravation and I am sure it has done the same for many others.  Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 04:33:52 PM »
You're very welcome, it's always my pleasure to pass the torch, so to speak, others did the same for me in the past, I'm just another helpless, pathetic Handiholic, struggling with the burden of the affliction!! ;D

Tim

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 02:35:46 AM »
Ok, my new shotty is a NP ( 2000 ) model, so i can get other barrels fitted to it. question, if i get a modified choked barrel would i be able to shoot slugs ? can these ( 2000 and a new barrel ) shot steel shot also ? .. the stock on my stevens 94a split, and now the NEF 20 gauge may be my shotty of choice.. not sure im even going to fix the stevens or own a 12 gauge, if the 20 does all i need it too..

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 05:59:38 AM »
Yes you can shoot slugs out of the modified barrel, and they are also rated for steel shot.  With that said if I were going to send it back and have another barrel fitted I would have the model for screw in chokes fitted they are available in 22 or 26 inch lengths or if you want a nice vent rib barrel, you can get the barrel for the topper deluxe classic fitted, it also has screw in choke tubes.  They also offer barrels that are rifled for shooting slugs and it has been posted on here that some of the smoothbore, rifle sight slug barrels are still available.  Plus you can have any gauge except 10 gauge barrels fitted to your frame also.  I think you will probably start to see why these NEF guns are so addictive. 

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:18:10 AM »
Thanks LEO, i do see why these guns are so addictive and have a following. Thanks for letting me know what my options are. Its good to know that i can shoot slugs and steel from my Pardner barrel as is. I didnt know i could have the vent rib from a Topper Deluxe fitted, it having screw in tubes makes it a very actractive prospect..
Glenn