Author Topic: Reloading Cost Going Up.  (Read 869 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading Cost Going Up.
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:30:07 AM »
According to information I just received, the cost of reloading is about to take a major hike in price.  Copper, brass and lead are all going up in price, this will eventually filter down to the reloader.  It has even got to the point that theives are stealing the copper from homeowners air conditioners, often while they are in the house.  Copper hit seventy cents a pound in this area last week, brass is very close to the same price, and lead is on the rise too.  According to one source, the reason for this increase is the current high demand for military ammo.

It may be a wise idea to stock up on reloading components to keep the cost down in the future.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Reloading Cost Going Up.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:39:57 AM »
  I stocked up about a year ago sure am glad now that i did. ;D

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »
I have heard that also. Around here copper is going for a 1.50/lbs from what I've heard. We've been hit with stealing to except they are stealing all the copper pipe in the house. I can't believe what some people will do for a few bucks.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:25:37 PM »
I been buying the wolf ammo by the 1,000rd case when it was much cheaper.  If we figure out the time involved and the expense of reloading for plinkin its cheaper to shoot the wolf ammo and walk away rather than scrounge for the empty cases.(45acp/9mm) I was paying $67 for 500rds of wolf 45acp ammo.  Thats $6.70 a box of 50.  Right now its $8.90 a box of 50 and $89 a case of 500rds.

Just lastyear, well the last winter I purchased all my reloading dies that i didn't have yet. I purchased every caliber wether i reload or not for it.  With the rising costs of scrap metal its going to hit us from all directions sooner or later. As far as components goes i watch for sales and clearances on bullets and new brass too.  I have even thought about buying the pulled gunpowder too its much cheaper that way.  Reloading was affordable and cheap at one time and soon it will be again as the new ammo prices go even higher.

BTW:  I had a blast today shootin my ruger 22 target pistols that maybe the way to go plinking too.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
My son told me earlier today that copper had hit $2.00 a pound in this area.   I plan on buying a bunch of ammo, and reloading supplies this week before things go out of sight.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
Its them Chinese I tell ya, its them stink'n Chinese with all their building and expansion.  Don't they know that building and expansion is a thing done in western societies?  Stink'n Chinese. ;)
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline wallynut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:43:19 AM »
Dusty, your closer to the truth then you think about the chinese.  Every spring, as the great lakes start to open up for shipping, metal prices go up as recyclers start major pileup of materials getting ready for ships to haul to China.  That, and there's a concern of certain political parties as we get closer to '08 elections.
aim small, miss small

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:49:26 AM »
Everything associated with shooting is going up. Gun, ammo, reloading supplies, anything recreational and associated with hunting is going up.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 02:46:31 AM »
Everything associated with shooting is going up. Gun, ammo, reloading supplies, anything recreational and associated with hunting is going up.
see,  we agree once in a while... ;D

i decided a long time ago to explore ways to cut my reloading costs.  one of the big ones was starting to cast my own bullets.   powder and primers there isnt alot i can do about, but with the supply of lead i have built up,  i am in great shape for alot of years to come.   

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 02:54:04 AM »
myronman3, can you believe it, maybe this year we will get along.... :o  Or am I pushing it. LOL  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 03:09:29 AM »
Like I said in my post in the handloading and reloading section. Between the Chinese and stock market speculators, unlike the primer scare in the '90's, I don't think that price's are going to drop this time. Plus, with the Democrats in office, I'm sure they'll try and figure a way to put some extra tax on this stuff. We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!! Remember-(12/7/41)-(9/11/01) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman