Author Topic: Handgun safeties?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline nolwark76

• Trade Count: (0)
Handgun safeties?
« on: December 12, 2006, 12:11:17 PM »
I'm looking for info for my first handgun purchase.  I'll avoid the semi-auto vs. revolver can o worms.  I'm thinking of a Springfield .45 XD, H&K USP Compact .40, or a H&K P2000 .40.  I'm used to rifles and shotguns that have a trigger block push button safety.  It seems like non of the handguns out there have this feature, rather different de-cockers or other safeties except a trigger block.  I know the best safety is keeping your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire but I'm just having a hard time getting over the fact that there isn't a trigger block.  Any opinions or suggestions of other guns appreciated.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
Re: Handgun safeties?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 12:30:38 PM »
I'm not exactly familiar with your guns of choice, but trigger block safeties aren't really needed.  By carrying a DA gun hammer down safety on, the gun IS NOT COCKED.  This is ultimately safe, but also quick to deploy.  If the trigger pull is heavy enough, I'd even go so far as to say carry safety off.  This would be no different than carrying a DA revolver which thousands do daily.

If safety is a major concern to you, look at Glock.  As I understand the mechanism, it is not completely cocked and cannot be fired without completing the trigger pull, no matter what you do.  The ultimate in safety.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline jimmyjam101

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 10:27:48 AM »
I'm not exactly familiar with your guns of choice, but trigger block safeties aren't really needed.  By carrying a DA gun hammer down safety on, the gun IS NOT COCKED.  This is ultimately safe, but also quick to deploy.  If the trigger pull is heavy enough, I'd even go so far as to say carry safety off.  This would be no different than carrying a DA revolver which thousands do daily.

If safety is a major concern to you, look at Glock.  As I understand the mechanism, it is not completely cocked and cannot be fired without completing the trigger pull, no matter what you do.  The ultimate in safety.

If safety is a real concern I suggest a springfield xd. The reason is similar to this explanation of the glock safety, but als you cannot complete the trigger pull unless your hand fully depresses the 1911ish grip safety that glock does not use.  I have the xd in 4" 45acp and can tell you it's a sweet shooter!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »
Hey, Dusty, I think that you misposted a bit here. :o
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm looking for info for my first handgun purchase.  I'll avoid the semi-auto vs. revolver can o worms.  I'm thinking of a Springfield .45 XD, H&K USP Compact .40, or a H&K P2000 .40.  I'm used to rifles and shotguns that have a trigger block push button safety.  It seems like non of the handguns out there have this feature, rather different de-cockers or other safeties except a trigger block.  I know the best safety is keeping your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire but I'm just having a hard time getting over the fact that there isn't a trigger block.  Any opinions or suggestions of other guns appreciated.

Don't worry about the safety block. Handguns have there own built in safety devices, some have trigger safeties, de-cockers and safeties such as slide locks on the 1911. It is just something you have to get use to. I like the de-cocked safeties that makes the gun a double action on the first shot and a single action on the following shots. That feature is on the Sig handguns and one of my favorites, and I also like the 1911 design.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:01:14 AM »
nolwark76:  Redhawk1 has made some excellent points.  Each of the newer types of pistols out there today as well as most of the older designs, have their own safeties that you will need getting familiar with if you purchase a pistol. 

I prefer the 1911 design:  it has two immediate safeties, the grip safety and the slide safety that must be properly disengaged before the pistol will fire.  Another reason why I like the 1911 design is that you can set up a 1911 to switch calibers, ie., a 1911 45 auto can be converted to 10mm/40 S&W, to a 38 Super/9x23 Winchester/9mm/7.65mm Luger; you can also purchse 22lr kits for the 1911.  I believe a 1911 as a basic pistol will cost you less than any of the other 3 you mentioned in your post however, all 3 pistols that you mentioned of excellent quality and design and have received quite favorable reviews in the gun magazines.  Of the 3, the choice is strictly personal as to what fits and feels best for you.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 07:58:09 AM »
There are several different types of safeties on handguns and a lot of argument on which is best. Some require only one function to operate some require several operations to operate.  None are perfect for every situation. An example would be the Glock. It's not a gun I'm sure I'd want if I had kids running around. Its safety is part of the trigger assembly and only requires that one correctly opperate the trigger for it to function (it is an excelent "drop proof" safety). While a gun with a manual safety or decocker would require some extra effort by a kid (or adult) unfamiliar with it to enable it (also good and bad). Either way if you have trained yourself to operate the safety on rifles and shotguns you should be able to manage a handgun. You must have a limited assortment of guns if they all have trigger safeties. Most of us have adapted to safeties in front of the trigger , behind the trigger, on the tang. behind the bolt and even manipulation of a hammer. Just sitting on the couch flipping a decocker on and off all evening will usually instill that function into your memory.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:38:37 AM »
I prefer the decocker models,, like my Ruger P90,P95, and P 345 over my Glock 22 type.

Offline CDA

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 07:14:25 AM »
I prefer the mechanical safeties with decocker. So, I have a H&K USP. I like the functions of the gun, the feel in my hand and the fact that I can carry it cocked and locked if I want ;).

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:04:37 AM »
After you make your purchase, get totally familiar with the gun. A good bit of advise would be to get involved in competion of your choice? Practice, practice, pratice. With this, the safety will take care of itself, and become second nature.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 04:49:54 AM »
You will really like the Springfield XD. It is a very safe pistol and points where it is supposed to. I shot two matches last year with mine and plan on shooting a lot more this year. I really like this pistol. :)

Offline slave

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 06:57:07 AM »
I like the options with my 1911 over my GLOCK. Both are safe or as safe as I am ;D ;D
keep your powder dry !!!

Offline nolwark76

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 07:44:39 PM »
Thanks for all the feed back.  I've ordered a Springfield XD .45 4" with night sights.  The wife shot a co-workers 5" and liked that there weren't a lot of "buttons" to push.  We are going to take a few gun classes from a firearm academy here in Oregon next month. Thanks again.

Offline darrell8937

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:23:57 AM »
I love my XD 40, While it does not have a traditional safety it is safe to carry in the proper holster. A combat style handgun should not have a manual safety to fiddle with in an emergency, John Browning knew this as the orginal 1911 did not have one, it was added on later at the Army's request. The xd safetys are automatic, It should be holstered like a glock. I just saw a couple days ago on a cops show, "most shocking criminal videos" or something like that. A jewlery store owner saw a very nervous , suspisios guy enter his store, When he looked at him a chill went down his spine. He knew he was no coustmer. The man turned away and drew his revolver. The owner imediatly drew his pistol, Pretty fast too, as he knew something bad was about to happen. The robber got off the first shot, but the owner fumbled for the safety, never fired a shot. He was laying wounded on the floor and the robber came up to him and pointed the gun at his head and pulled the trigger, It was the owners lucky day, he was out of ammo. He fled and the owner surived. That safety nearly cost him his life. You can practice alot with a gun with a traditiona safetyl, but in a panic you may forget all about the safety, Keep it simple, exspecialy in a combat /conceled handgun. IMO

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 11:08:24 AM »
At last count, the original designed 1911, has at least three safeties, disconnect link, thumb, and grip??? Are you talking about the 1903s? Also, what's a XD40?
AF&AM #294

Offline darrell8937

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
John Browning orginal design for the 1911 had no thumb safety, he thought the grip safety was enough for a combat handgun, the Army dissagreed,
In 1910 the final prototype for the Model 1911 pistol, incorporating the addition of the manual safety lever, was put through an exhaustive test regimen. At one point, six thousand rounds were fired through a single pistol without a single jam or failure. On May 5, 1911 the Colt pistol was officially accepted as the "Automatic Pistol, Calibre .45, Model of 1911."Following its adoption by the Army, the M1911 was also accepted by the Navy and the Marines. It was also adopted by Norway, for use by their armed forces. Supplemental production capacity was set up at Springfield Armory, in order to meet the heavy demand for the pistol. When the United States entered World War I, demand for the pistol was so great that contracts were let out to several other manufacturers. Only Remington/U.M.C. actually went into production, however, before the war ended, resulting in the abrupt cancellation of all outstanding contracts. Source: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/hist_dev.htm

The XD40 is the Springfield Armory Extreme Duty pistol chambered in 40 S&W.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »
Oh, one of those pistols with foriegn nvestment parts? A Springfield Armory. Ya know, they make guns here in America, too?
AF&AM #294