Author Topic: DID Jim Zumbo screw up or what  (Read 989 times)

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
DID Jim Zumbo screw up or what
« on: March 08, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »
DID Jim Zumbo screw up or what !!!
This is an interesting situation to show the power of gun owners..
maybe there is some hope after all..

Outdoor Life & Jim Zumbo Part Ways
Zumbo issues second apology
posted February 23, 2007

Outdoor Life magazine Editor-in-Chief Todd Smith released the following statement Thursday regarding writer Jim Zumbo:

In light of comments made by Jim Zumbo in his February 16, 2007 blog posting on the magazine’s website, Mr. Zumbo has offered to terminate his association with Outdoor Life, and the magazine has accepted his offer. Accordingly, he will no longer be contributing to the magazine in print or online. His final column with Outdoor Life will appear in the April 2007 issue, which has already gone to press.

We respect Mr. Zumbo's First Amendment right to free speech, and we acknowledge his subsequent apology and admission of error. However, Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of all aspects of the shooting sports and our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the appearance of the firearms we choose to own, shoot or hunt with.

We regret this turn of events, as Mr. Zumbo has been a good friend to this magazine and lifelong advocate for hunters and hunting rights.

We appreciate the comments we've received from our loyal readers about this matter and encourage them to continue to correspond with us. Please direct any additional comments to OLletters@time4.com <mailto:OLletters@time4.com>.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yesterday Jim Zumbo posted a second apology on Ted Nugent's Internet Forum <http://nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/286904.html>. It reads as follows:

The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I’m told, has never before been equaled. I’m not proud of that.

Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I’m not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don’t want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can’t believe I said the words “ban” and “terrorist” in the context that I did. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I’ve learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can’t explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one “black” firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I’m learning that many of my pals own AR-15’s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I’m almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most…America’s gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I’ve ever done. But what’s different now is that I’ll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about “black” rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I’ll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I’ll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15’s, and I’m eager to go, and learn. I’ll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there’s no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I’ll repeat it. I’m willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you’re willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jh45gun

Re: DID Jim Zumbo screw up or what
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »
this is pretty much old news as the furor has pretty much died down, but to answer your question yea he screwed up big time. not only did he do a lot of damage to the gun crowd and give the  liberal anti gunners words to use from a known gun writer and cause more speration in the gun ranks he screwed up personally too. how many of us would just love to get paid to hunt and shoot all over world for most of the year and get to try out the newest goodies too. he lost that besides his rep and good name.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:09:59 PM »
I find no joy in Jim's misfortune.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:55:54 PM »
  Yes he screwed up! But ya know he didn't screw up any worse than all the other nieve hunters and shooters that beleave that the anti's aint after their guns. Its just that his screw up was more public.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 12:18:19 AM »
At first I was outraged at what Jim said, but at least he is going to make a effort to learn about what he spoke out about. Like billy_56081 said, we have hunters and gun owners that speak out just as Zumbo did, and they will not budge from there left field position. Yes, they are even here at Graybeard.
 Zumbo screwed up bad, but I am glad some of the hunter and gun owners that are worse than Zumbo don't have the platform that Zumbo had. We could be in real trouble.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline S.S.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:30:11 AM »
This is one of those situations though where I have to look at all the GOOD he has done
for our sport in the last half of a Century ! I say let him convert and be redeemed !
I screw up every day myself, I hope folks don't hold it against me for the rest of my life.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 12:17:27 AM »
Your wife will-- >:(--at every opportunity, or at least when she wants too, ;) :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 05:19:00 AM »
I see some overlap here with the bible discussion threads.  I wonder how all these people who refuse to forgive reconcile their stubborn position with their religion? 

"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."(Eph 4:31-32)

Could it be that hating a life-time hunting advocate who dislikes ugly guns is more important than following god's word?

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 06:16:09 AM »
Jim Zumbo screwed up and has paid for his poor chosen words and prejudice of what he thinks and considers a hunting type rifle.  First off, Zumbo thinks that the 2nd Amendment is about hunting and the rifles that he states are only usable for hunting or target purposes.  Finally, Zumbo was a nationally syndicated writer and as such should know his facts before he opens his mouth or puts words to paper.  Zumbo is/was prejudice and stated so in writting and he has paid by not having a place to write about his prejudices.  The companies that pulled there sponserships are right to have done so, because all you have to do is go look up what is written in Sara Brady's gun hate site to see what Zumbo and his like do to the cause of gun ownership in America.  I niether hate nor dislike Jim Zumbo for what he wrote in his blog.  I won't defend his writting either nor would I support any company that sponsers Jim Zumbo to write the tripe that he wrote.  As for the AR/AK being ugly guns, I don't think so!  If military type rifles have no place in the woods, than all anyone has to do is remember the past ugly guns, M1 Garand/carbine, m1917, m1903, Krags, 1862 Springfields, 1842 Springfields that were taken to the fields to put game on the table.  If ugly means that they don't have wood stocks, only the AR rifle would fill that bill totally.  Of coarse wood isn't the requirement for ugly since Jim Zumbo's blog had him shooting a bolt action rifle in a plastic stock!  If gun owners don't stand side by side for all types of weapons that are legal today to own, than we as owners will be carved up by the gun banner.  This was what Jim Zumbo did and he still don't get it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 07:59:28 AM »
Personally I think the guy has too many martini's after a hunt and while half blasted wrote a article blasting the black guns. By then the damage was done and nothing he said after really helped.

Ducky if he harmed one or two persons with his comments easy to forgive, but with the magnitude of his words and the antis using them against us it is pretty hard to forgive or forget. That is not to say if I ever met him in a watering hole I would not buy him a drink and ask him if he learned from it. As far as religion goes I know according to God's words it is a sin not to forgive or to hate. So be it, the sins I hope God  forgives me for,  being mad at Zumbo is the least of my worries.  ;D ::)

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 11:37:02 AM »
Couple things to consider about Zumbo:  he's supposed to be this "elk hunting expert". Ever see the guy?  He doesn't look like he could hike 5 miles on flat ground much less climb around after bulls in the mountains.  In addition, I personally know someone who is a retired cop that ran into the guy in Canada during a guided elk hunt. Another guy killed a huge bull, and this "dude" flies into the camp to have his picture taken with the other  hunters bull elk........  My friend thought this was strange and thought he recognized the guy who flew in......everyone was acting very strange over this situation. Eventually the guy killing elk coughed up the fact that they "took care of him" and had Zumbo fly in via bush plane to get his picture taken with the elk for an article.

A few years back another friend hired as a guide had a major run in with many of your favorite rag writers at a shoot sponsored by a major magazine some of you read regularly.  The one writer at that time that stood out from the rest and treated this friend of mine with some respect and friendship was none other than Bill Jordan.  I look at the rest of these guys with quite a bit of cynicism after that episode but that's just me.

RR

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
Couple things to consider about Zumbo:  he's supposed to be this "elk hunting expert". Ever see the guy?  He doesn't look like he could hike 5 miles on flat ground much less climb around after bulls in the mountains.  In addition, I personally know someone who is a retired cop that ran into the guy in Canada during a guided elk hunt. Another guy killed a huge bull, and this "dude" flies into the camp to have his picture taken with the other  hunters bull elk........  My friend thought this was strange and thought he recognized the guy who flew in......everyone was acting very strange over this situation. Eventually the guy killing elk coughed up the fact that they "took care of him" and had Zumbo fly in via bush plane to get his picture taken with the elk for an article.

A few years back another friend hired as a guide had a major run in with many of your favorite rag writers at a shoot sponsored by a major magazine some of you read regularly.  The one writer at that time that stood out from the rest and treated this friend of mine with some respect and friendship was none other than Bill Jordan.  I look at the rest of these guys with quite a bit of cynicism after that episode but that's just me.

RR

It does not supprise me that these guys STAGE pictures ect anything to get the story. A while back a outdoors show showed the screwups they had before they got footage they could use. Heck on the average I would bet most of the users here have a better track record of good shots compared to these folks, some of them were down right pitifull.but at least I was impressed they aired the footage showing they are not perfect by any means. We all know the media is smoke and mirrors you have given more incidences to show just that. Thank you for the interesting post.