Author Topic: SB2-323 Questions upon delivery  (Read 675 times)

Offline rshunter

• Trade Count: (0)
SB2-323 Questions upon delivery
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:02:45 AM »
Picked up my new .223 bull barrel from the FFL last week and had a few issues. We opened the shipping package and the NEF box . The first thing I noticed was it was missing one of the plug caps on the side of the reciever. I could see the latch engaging the lug on the bottom of the barrel through the reciever. It also had oil or some lubricant coming out of every hole, crack, crease and opening on the reciever. When the action is open you can see the lubricant all in the lower part of the reciever. Lastly... the barrel had a very rough surface to it, almost like the grain in a rough piece of wood and the muzzle had two very small spots that were flattened out of line with the rest of the muzzle. Itwas like someone dropped the barrel muzzle down from about a foot off the ground.

I know that none of these conditions existed when I purchased my only other Handi (30/30) . I was just wondering if these are things I should be complaining about when I call H&R about the missing cap or if the rough barrel was just a consequence of having the heavier bull barrel?

Thanks for the help

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
Re: SB2-323 Questions upon delivery
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:15:28 AM »
As far as I'm concerned you paid for a brand new gun.. No dent's dings anything and should get what you pay for... I'd contact H&R, and tell them about it, or go back to your dealer and have him return it for another one... If he takes pride in his shop and wants return business he'll help you out with this...

Tux

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:20:34 AM »
Do you have a pic? Sounds like you got one of the newer receivers that have the "viewing hole" in the receiver, but I can't say for certain. If I or someone else can find the original topic you can see what I am talking about.
I say If it bothers you enough then I suggest you call NEF. They are pretty good at making things right, just be nice and to the point.

-Aaron

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:29:17 AM »
I would give H&R a call this AM , the missing cap could be a problem as it will let all kinds of junk in , as for the lube that is normal with a lot of rifles these days , not just handi's . that is why a very good cleaning is a must with any new firearm .

As far as the rough surface on the barrel , they have not been polishing them like they used to , i happen to like it , as it helps knock down the glair off the barrel . the muzzle is a diffrent story , say something to them when you call , it they say to send it back , ask for a call tag , that way they will cover the shipping .

As Tux said i would check with the shop to see if he can get you a diffrent one , that may be the quickest way to solve the problem .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 04:50:09 AM »
Iam about to order a 30-30 is this what I have to look forwadr too :(

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 04:59:36 AM »
I hope not I just ordered a 22-250 Ultra Varmint and I would hope it will come in perfect condition.If I received a gun like that it would have to go back and I would let them know I was very unhappy :(
Iam about to order a 30-30 is this what I have to look forwadr too :(
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 05:22:50 AM »
Calm down guys , sometimes a bad one slips through the cracks , but most are very nice rifles , i have yet to get a bad one , i have a friend that has the same problems with TC's and he pays a lot more .

Remember these are $ 250 guns that shoot like $ 500 + guns , granted the fit and finish may not be A+ but for what they are , these are a great deal .

You can not get a Caddy for a Pinto price .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:18:41 AM »
I ordered the same model (sb2-323) a couple of monthe ago.
I was very impressed with the finnish.(compaired to my 2 year old 25-06 anyway)
Sounds like the distributer or frieght company tore thie one up.

Offline rshunter

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »
Nah... The shipping box and NEF box were in great shape, Iwas just wondering about all the lube and that rough barrel.

Offline rshunter

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 04:36:04 AM »
Called H&R ...They (Jennifer, I always get her, seems like its a one person CS dept.) said they would send the cap to me in the mail. She said the rough barrel was normal , as everything is machined by individuals and the barrels differ one job to the next. I didn't even fool with the small flat spots arond the edge of the muzzle, they are tiny and wont change the way the rifle shoots. I just want to get out and shoot the thing!

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 05:38:04 AM »
I hope you got a shooter the rest can all be worked out, I'm not to big on looks anyhow all my firearms get use and its hard to keep them pretty climbing around on rocks and stumblin around trees. It may not be as tall as other mountain chains  but its rough around here in Kentucky. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline rshunter

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 07:42:38 AM »
Yeah, ...maybe like a new car ... just easier to go ahead and get that first door ding out of the way,  so you stop worrying about when it is going to come.