Author Topic: youth model handi  (Read 804 times)

Offline luv2shoot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
youth model handi
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
Suggestions

I plan to buy my kids a youth model handi chambered in 7mm-08 for deer.  TThey are both small in stature.  would you suggest a synthetic or wood stocked option?
If it Feels Good, Shoot it Again!!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: youth model handi
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
The youth 7mm-08 is only available in a wood stock, of course you could always swap it, but there's only 4oz difference in the actual stock weight.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline luv2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
I have a synthetic 223 that I was thinking of having 7mm-08 barrel fitted to and putting superlight youth buttstock on it.

Or just going ahead and buying the entire wooden stocked gun in 7mm-08

just wondered which they would be more comfortable shooting.  I was thinking slimmer stock with the synthetic.  plus they could practice more with the 223 in the off season

Recoil wise/ which would be your choice?

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
It is going to ultimately depend on the kid. Three years ago, I bought my kids each a Sportster. My son got a Youth, my daughter got a Full sized. My son just turned 12, my daughter will be 17 next month. I have no doubt, sometime this summer both Sportsters will wear adult stocks, and both kids will be shooting one of my centerfires (30/30 or 357max) with an adult stock.

Since you say yours are small statured, the youth might be the way to go. Recoil, as you know, is something that can be very subjective, and my personal thought is that 7-08 recoil won't be unmanageable for most enthusiastic shooter type kids.

My son shot my Ruger Blackhawk (357) with normal powered 38spls right after shooting a Ruger Bearcat with .22LR. There was a definite recoil difference, but he keeps asking to shoot the Blackhawk (even though he has trouble holding it up for long). I think he likes to experience the power of the recoil from the Blackhawk. 22s are fun, but centerfires are more 'bang-for-the-buck'.

And anyway, you have a great excuse reason to buy another Handi if you go for the wood stocked youth 7-08 and you'll have Handis with both stocks so you'll know which one fits the kids better.

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline snakeskinner

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 04:53:11 PM »
Before I read your second post about the .223 I would have said don't get the 7mm08. Although I have never shot it I've heard that it is stout in a 5.75# rifle. Here is a picture of my son's rifles. As you can see, despite what the website indicates, the youth synthetic stock is a little shorter and smaller around at the pistol grip than the youth wooden stock. Both are compared to an adult stock above. Whether you get the whole gun or not, the synthetic youth stock is perfect for 7-10 year olds. The only problem being the recoil of the 7mm 08 in such a light rifle.
Get right with the Man.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
I don't know where you're getting a 5¾lb 7mm-08, but my wood stocked 7mm-08 weighs 8lbs1oz with a 3-9x40 Nikon scope on it. The only 5¾lb Handis are the superlights and they don't come in 7mm-08, just Hornet, .223 and .243. ;) FYI, the 7mm-08 superlight barrel listed in the accessory barrel list is a typo, all superlights are 20", the 7mm-08 SL doesn't exist, but they have yet to correct the web site and accessory pamphlet. :-\

An 8lb 7mm-08 shooting a 140gr bullet at 2860fps has 12.6lbs recoil, just a tad more than a .30-30.

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Offline snakeskinner

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 02:28:08 PM »
That's what's so great about this site. Straightens out the people who don't know what they are talking about.  ;D

I've heard/read the the 7mm-08 was stout for a kid even if not in a 5.75# rifle which they obviously don't make. If you put the youth synthetic stock on it then I figure it would be a little lighter than the wood stock (not quite a pound). I guess my gest is, if luv2shoot's kid is small in stature the synthetic youth stock is a good choice but beware of the recoil on the lighter rifle with the 7mm-08. The 223 would be perfect for starting out.
Get right with the Man.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »
There's not as much difference tween the adult syn and wood as you would think, only 4 oz, the youth stock would be slightly more, both use the same forend.

The .223 would be a great starter caliber, but isn't legal for deer in a lot of states, but with the right bullet and shot restraints, should be adequate where it is legal. ;)

Tim

Offline luv2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:02:47 PM »
well my thoughts were the synthetic stock would be thinner/a little more manageable for smaller hands.  I was going to set up both barrels with identicle scopes and let them predominantly shoot the 223 to get used to handling it.
I know they aren't available in 20" barrell.  My 223 is standard barrel also

I wasn't sure which of the stocks would result in less felt recoil, synthetic or wood.

I was thinking 120 BT in the 7mm-08  in a reduced or not real hot load

thanks for your thoughts

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 04:16:32 PM »
The .223 Superlight youth has a 20" barrel and synthetic stock.

http://hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.aspx

A wood stocked 7mm-08 can be fitted with a Limbsaver recoil pad, there are a couple choices of prefits that are close, or you could use a small slip on, they fit pretty good, the 120gr would be a much better choice for deer than the .223 IMO. ;)

Tim

Offline JShirley

• Trade Count: (0)
    • John's Page
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 02:08:29 AM »
7.62x39mm would be a perfect youth caliber.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 05:12:16 AM »
7.62x39mm would be a perfect youth caliber.

Moot point in a Handi, they don't make it any more and several here would disagree, those that have tried it just for that! ::) The .30-30 already is a perfect youth caliber in the right stock. ;)

Tim