Author Topic: Cabin Fever  (Read 577 times)

Offline gumby

• Trade Count: (0)
Cabin Fever
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »
I  am thinking that changing a 'factory' chambering of 25.06 to the 25.06 'improved' is not feasible?  Correct me if i am wrong.   But c ritters are due to be out soon, the final days of cabin fever are here.  Just looking for a faster and further  ???ways to shoot them.  If there is another option that you may have rattling around in your head, let me know.   Currently shooting-  .223  50 grains SPSX 3320,  .243 58 grain V-Max 3800,  25.06 87 grain  ? unknown at current time. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Cabin Fever
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 05:51:35 PM »
It's doable in a Handi, but you won't be able to shoot factory ammo and you have to take some extra steps in fireforming, see Handloading for an Improved chambered Handi in the FAQs and Help sticky for more info on it.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,26264.msg504312.html#msg504312
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:20:53 AM »
Your not the only one with C fever. I haven't been out to the range in a month. I,ve redone my loading bench 2x , loaded up every cartridge I have, and cleaned and wiped down all my handi's at least 3x. I,ve about worn out my Cabelas catalog, and have an order sitting on my desk, just waiting for the funds to arrive so I can call it in. I,ve stocked up on targets, bullets ,and primers.My local supplier was out of my favorite powder but it's on order. I check the weather every day and hope it warms up enough  to melt the snow that keeps the range closed. And I even have a brand new Handi in 30-30 that I haven't fired yet.
       aaaarrrrgggghhhh !    If Puxatawney Phil is lieing about an early spring this year, The world just might have to find itself another physic woodchuck.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:04:49 AM »
I've got cabin fever too,pretty much doing same as flint4ever,stocked up on bullets and brass,did some reloading,even cleaned the reloading bench so you know its bad!Got some reduced loads for the 223 I've been itching to shoot but its just too nasty out.Did shoot a couple in the yard.Weather not looking like its going to get any better either for a while.Oh well wheres that new midway usa master catalog that will keep me busy for awhile!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:18:03 AM »
Join the crowd guys.  Went into town this week and bought several boxes of bullets that I don't even need.  Started reloading, and got several boxes loaded already for that load.  Itching to get out when the bears come out and that's another six week away.I think it's because the weather is getting so nice.  Temp is above zero, the sun is shining, and we got more than seven hours of daylight
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline omcforever

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »
Ahh,,,nothing like having a range in my back yard/plenty of guns/plenty of powder and primers and bullets/and decent weather after deer season goes out in jan! God Bless the south!(never have time for cabin fever here-varmit hunt-target shoot jan-mar/turkey apr-may/bass fish jun-jul/deer hunt aug-jan!!)-----the hard thing is fitting WORK in there somewhere! ::)
FIELD ARTILLERY----------KING OF BATTLE----------USAFATC
                      FORT SILL OKLAHOMA
                       JAN 1979 - APR 1991
                          ARMY VETERAN

Offline sparkysteve

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 08:33:04 AM »
Punxatawny Phil predicted an early spring.  We're under a blizzard warning here in Mich.  12" of snow yesterday temps in the single digits, -30 wind chill.  No shooting for me.  Someday ol' Phil is going to come out of his hole and not she his shadow.  Instead he'll see me and my .223 Handi. ;D
Ruger 10/22, Ruger GP100 .357, Marlin 336 .35 Rem, NEF Handi Rifle .223, Remington 7600 .30-06, Browning BPS 12 ga, Remington 870 12 ga, Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
That'll be the last thing he sees!!! ;D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sluggo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »
 I think they had a heat lamp shining on his furry butt, that's why he saw his shadow.
...there are many kinds of wounded, and only one kind of dead. Do it the Handi way, one shot, one kill.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
I'm attempting to relieve my cabin fever by cleaning rifles. I've got my copper solven bottle uncorked and there's a large and growing pile of greenish patches accumulating in the wastebasket.

The most fouled so far?,... my trusty old K-31. I rarely go to the range without dragging it along and it usually gets an extensive workout every time.

Last time out I fired 100 rounds which utilized some 147 grain bullets from Yugoslavia,.... originally intended for the 30-06. I suspect that the copper jackey alloy on them is a bit on the soft side and their bases are open,.. which exposes their lead cores.

It's the first time I've ever had a bullet demonstrate a combination of copper AND lead fouling. The crown of the muzzle had visible deposites of lead accumulated on it that I had to remove with steel wool. Needless to say, accuracy was nothing to write home about.

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 09:32:54 AM »
I secong the having a range in the yard vote.  I haven't done too much shooting, but I am waiting for all of phils cousins to show up here in Lancaster PA and that will be the true end of my cabin fever.  The best thing is that I can still go out on the deck and cut paper or various other targets when I want.
TJM

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 10:19:50 AM »
Good old Phil,his nothern  and his sothern realitives are in a lot of trouble. I've had a lot of time to read various loading manuals , bullet specs , ect. And now I'm just awaiting the day to get out and put some of this new found knowledge to the test. NEF has made sure we are prepared. As they said in  the movie Ghost Busters " we got the tools , we got the tallent,....it's Miller time."
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 07:49:07 AM »
I've got so much ammo loaded I don't have room in my lock box, nothin' else to do. Can't get out to shoot. We are in the middle of a very deep freeze -27 C with drifting wind and white-out conditions. I went to the range on the week-end anyways to shoot but it was miserably cold and didn't stay long. Cabin fever is setting in :'( :'(

Mc