Author Topic: Old Army - R&D Cylinder - Cowboy ammunition  (Read 1296 times)

Offline geraldbergeron

• Trade Count: (0)
Old Army - R&D Cylinder - Cowboy ammunition
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:14:49 PM »
Hi,

I found this forum and I read your posts regularly. Great forum !!! I learned a lot and I even bought an Old Army BP revolver; what a pleasure.

I just found a R&D cylinder.

I am looking for ammunition:  .45 Colt LC  "cowbow ammunition", as requidred by R&D

I found Remington .45 Colt   ( code R45C )

Is that it ?

I do no understand what is really "Cowbow ammunition" .  I know that the speeed must be under 800-900 fps.

Is the Remington a "Cowbow ammunition" ??

If not, what should I buy ??

Any advice will be welcome.

Thank you,    from a new Cap n Ball shooter ( or at least... I am trying to be...)

Gerald.................................................................................................................../

Offline geraldbergeron

Re: Old Army - R&D Cylinder - Cowboy ammunition
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:56:12 AM »
Well,

The Remington .45 Colt   ( code R45C )  works very well in the R&D Cylinder with the Ruger Old Army.

...................................................................................................................Gerald....../

Offline radio2

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »
Hi, I am new and need to ask what does R&D stand for?

Offline LubeckTech

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:41:21 AM »
Taylor's (I think) Research and Development which is the name of the manufacturer. Probably one of the best investments you could make to go with your revolver is a reloading press, some dies, bullets and brass as loaded .45 colt ammo is very expensive compared to the cost of reloading as you can make much better ammo than you can buy. Compared to the cost of buying loaded, ammo at $25 - $30 per box, the cost of  getting into reloading is mild plus it is both interesting and FUN!!

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:51:11 AM »
If you buy an R&D conversion cylinder for your ROA I strongly recommend buying it from Taylors and not a wholesaler like Midway.  My cylinder required custom fitting, which Taylors provided without charge.  Their customer service is friendly and I’ve talked to the gunsmith a couple times, also friendly.  The turn around was also fast.

Offline Flint

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:41:42 AM »
R&D Gunshop is the manufacturer, owned by Kenny Howell.  Kenny has been making conversion cylinders for many years now, both production and custom.

Taylors Firearms is a distributer which sells R&D products (but not all).  Taylors sells the R&D "drop-in" cylinders.  If you want a Colt type with a loading gate, or several other sevices and parts, go to R&D itself.

www.randdgunshop.com/

Taylors will, however, fit a cylinder to your gun even if you didn't buy it from them.  Nice people.

R&D usually stands for Research and Development.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life