Author Topic: What kind of results to expect with Mil. Sur. ammo?  (Read 831 times)

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
What kind of results to expect with Mil. Sur. ammo?
« on: January 04, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »
Price was right on a Colt AR15 Target Comp. chambered in .223 Rem with a 1:9 twist, 20 inch barrel and it followed me home  ;)  Topped it with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40 and I'm as happy as a pig in @#$%!

Picked up a cpl hundred rounds of millitary surplus (55gr) ammo that I've been toying with while working up some hand loads.  I'm a little concerned.  The best groups I'm getting with that Mil Sur is around 3 inches (5 shots at 100 yrds).  Is this typical of mil sur?

I'm still doing pressure checks on my hand loads, but it looks like varget or H335 with a 60gr Speer MHPBT is where I'm going to start.  I have not shot any groups yet.  Hopefully the poor groups with the mil sur aren't an indication that this rifle isn't going to shoot.  It needs some trigger work, but I'm still a little worried.

Anyone else experience results like this from mil. sur.?  Is it an indication that I'm going to have a hard time finding an accurate load.

Thanks   

"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline Phoneman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: What kind of results to expect with Mil. Sur. ammo?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:57:21 PM »
Did no better than that with my dpms. Factory loads that it likes are 55gr hornady v-max. 1" and under at 200 yards. I'm just starting to handload and talked to a friend with the same setup as you. he's useing 53gr hpbt and is holding 3/4" at 100 yards. I've found anything over 63gr. and mine doesn't like it. but 55gr. seem to be the sweet spot. going to give the 53gr. a try next week.
I put a three pound JARD trigger in mine and for the price it seems to be very nice. pretty easy to install. good luck with the hand loads. use the mil sur for pop cans.

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »
Thanks.  That is encouraging.  I gotta believe this thing will shoot.  Just wasn't sure what the norm was for mil sur. 
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline alien319

• Avid Poster
  • NRA Member
    • East Carolina Predator Hunting Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:37:24 PM »
It will shoot fairly accurate.  I hit 500 yards all day long with regualar iron sights using it. 200 yards is great.  Just my 2 cents.
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight."
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

Win. Model 94 .30-30, Lakefield Arms MkII .22LR, Mossberg 500 12GA, Ruger P345 .45ACP, Remington 700 .308/McMA4 stock, 1932 Mosin Nagant

USMC-'03-Present

Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Offline alien319

• Avid Poster
  • NRA Member
    • East Carolina Predator Hunting Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:38:07 PM »
By the way is it the M855 Ball ammo. 62gr SS109 projectile?
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight."
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

Win. Model 94 .30-30, Lakefield Arms MkII .22LR, Mossberg 500 12GA, Ruger P345 .45ACP, Remington 700 .308/McMA4 stock, 1932 Mosin Nagant

USMC-'03-Present

Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Offline Ken Rummer

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 01:16:18 AM »
Go to ammo-oracle.com.  They will tell you more than you want to know about .22 and 5.56 ammo.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 04:04:55 AM »
It will shoot fairly accurate.  I hit 500 yards all day long with regualar iron sights using it. 200 yards is great.  Just my 2 cents.
What are you hitting at 500 yards all day long with regular open sights? The pop cans previously mentioned?
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Wingman26

• Avid Poster
    • Wingman 26 Home Page
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »
This is IMI M193 military ammo out of my AR-15, 15 shot group at 100 yds.

John
Site Staff  http://mp-pistol.com/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 05:40:57 PM »
NimrodRx:  the 55 gn bullet may not be the best choice for your 1:9 twist.  That twist may prefer a heavier bullet. 

Also, be aware that not all 'mil-surp' is the same.  US made mil-spec ammo is usually the first choice as it is made to mil-spec.  Ammo made elsewhere may not be made to the same standards, period. 

My older Lyman manual shows a Ar-15 used to test the 223 having a 1:12 twist but newer developments in twist and bullet weight have changed the nature of the 223 over the past 20 years.  I believe your 1:9 twist may either like heavier bullets or better quality ammo. 

My old Mini-14 doesn't group any better with old 55 gn mil-surp ammo, but I haven't yet started to wring it out with better quality commercial ammo.  HTH.  Mikey.