Author Topic: Cast bullet shooting in a rifle  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Cast bullet shooting in a rifle
« on: May 11, 2003, 04:50:09 PM »
Not seeing anything about cast bullets in rifles. Anyone out there working on target quality rifle loads.

I have cast .357 and .44 and some .308 for years, but have recently picked up an RCBS mold for my .243.

Plan -- hope to work up loads good enough to use in Cast Bullet Association (CBA) postal matches.

The .243 is a good shooter with jacketed, time will tell if I can get the desired results with cast.

Not looking for high vel., the goal is small groups and will try to work in the 1600 to 1800 fps range.

There is info available from CBA, but there must be a gold mine of info hidden in the readers of this forum. Hope so!  :wink:  :D
300 Winmag

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 02:45:19 AM »
I've had exceptional results with my 700 ADL in .243 with cast bullets. I use the 95gr. RCBS mould, cast from range scrap and water quench. Run through a push through sizer to crimp on the gas check (no sizing) and lube with Lee tumble lube. For cast bullet silhouette matches I load 11.0gr. Green Dot for 1800 fps (we shoot 1/2 scale targets to 200M.) Just for grins I have tried to see how fast I can push it. I managed to see 2600 fps using WC872, with no leading and still shooting 1.5 MOA. At 2200 fps it's sub MOA out to 200M using IMR7383 (50 BMG spotter powder). Also, I load them to lightly engrave the rifling. Too long for the magazine, but I don't hunt with it anyhow so I don't care. Hope you have good luck with yours, either the .243 is really good with cast bullets or I have an exceptional one here. Make sure you get all the copper out first!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Darrell Davis

.243 with RCBS cast bullet
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 04:38:52 PM »
Nobade,

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear the 95gr. has done so well for you. My mold is a GC design, but would guess it is the same style as yours.

My first run of bullets are of WW dropped in to a cold water quench. If they need a bit of Lino, I will try adding small amounts (10% or so) to start with.

I am sizing at this point, so---------? Using a home made lube which has done me good for a number of years in the 357 and 44.

Will try H4895, H4198, Reloader 7 and 4227 to start with. Your powders are interesting, will need to do a bit of checking.

I have been working on the copper removal, but the shooters choice I have tried just doesn't seem to really get the job done. Just went back to the old Hoppies and time. :agree:  :D
300 Winmag

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 05:52:50 PM »
Darrell Davis, To easily get all the copper out: I first clean the bore with Hoppes and a bronze brush, to get out the powder fouling. Then I use Sweet's 7.62 Solvent. Squirt some Sweet's into to barrel and make a few strokes with a patch. Wait 15 minutes and patch out the Sweet's. Repeat the Sweet's, if there no blue on the patch, all the jacket foiling is gone. If there is blue, repeat the Sweet's. When the patch comes with no blue, all the jacket fouling is gone. After all the jacket fouling is out, use J+B bore paste on a patch, make about 20 strokes through the bore. Never use a stainless steel bore brush because it will leave micro- scratches is the bore, that will cause leading. 8)

Offline Nobade

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 06:21:01 PM »
The new Precision Shooting has an article on something that will be of great use to cast bullet shooters. It's a foam called Wipe-Out that supposedly gets copper out even faster than Sweet's. I'm going to get some and try it, if it works as well as they say it'll be some mighty nice stuff.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline triggermortis

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 10:25:37 AM »
Joe Kool, you say "never use a stainless steel brush".  What would they be safe to use on?  Other brushes just don't seem to dot he job to clean up a bore properly.

Other folks have even said they use pieces of steel wool on a bore brush to get all the lead out.  I even know of a couple of guys that put the cleaning rods in a low velocity pwoer drill and run them thru the bores and cylinders, and they shoot their weapons very well.

I'd like to hear more pros and cons on this matter, unless I've got it in the wrong place.

T. Mortis
Your worst day off beats your best day at work.

Offline Ron LeClear

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 12:44:02 PM »
:D
Buy a Chore Boy pure copper scrubber at your local Kroger of whoever store...cut a strip off it, wind it around a brass brush and clean all the lead out of your bore. Then run a little Sweets 7.62 on a clean patch...10 min. later run dry patches until clean....enjoy
It works for me....

Ron
Guns cause crime like garbage causes flies!!!

Offline Darrell Davis

Cleaning before/after cast bullets.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 01:54:04 PM »
:grin: WOW, I must have started somthing! Thanks for all the replies!!

Nobade, let us know how the "Wipe Out," works. Don't think I have seen it, but will keep on the look out. As I said, Shooter's Choice seems to be only slightly better then the Hoppies and has tha amonia problems.

Joe Kool, haven't tried Sweet's 7.62, but have read about lots of people using it. Maybe the answer is under my nose.

:grin:  :D Thanks again!
300 Winmag

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 05:21:19 PM »
Barnes CR-10 is the most aggressive and best copper remover liquid I've tried to date and I've tried most at least. I use and recommend it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 03:31:32 PM »
:D Hello Graybeard.

Thanks for the tip on the copper cleaner. Checked one of the shops on the way home this evening and they had the CR-10 Barnes product, so will give a try.

From the smell, I think it is a job for the garage rather then the basement.

If I can see any difference, will pass it along. :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline Bug

• Contributor
I'll second the CR-10
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2003, 03:39:23 AM »
Barnes' copper solvent is the best I have used, also. Just don't let it sit in the bore more than 10 min. or so. It WILL cause problems! As to putting STEEL wool on a brush - NOT ME! And, certainly not on a power drill. Sounds like a great way to ruin a bore - Quick! >>>>>>>>Bug.
It's The Little Things That Matter.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 01:31:41 PM »
:D Hey there guys,

Well, I finally got out to do my first tests with the .243 Ruger flat bolt and RCBS mold combination.

I shot the tests at 50yds. the same calm evening that I shot the tests with the "TC Classic" I have been having trouble with. You can read about the TC under the RIMFIRE RIFLES/THOUGHT ABOUT THE "TC CLASSIC" headings.

As to the cast bullets in the 243, I couldn't be more pleased at this point. While only at 50 yds, almost all the groups were at 1" or less and this with very light - 16 & 17 grain - loads. AND bullets that I really didn't take that many pains with - weighing, sorting etc.

Also thanks to Graybeard for the Barnes CR-10 tip. I think I finally got all the copper out. But what do I expect after all these years, right?

Going to be away from the cast bullet part of the bench for a week or two, but next time I plan to try the leap to 100yds. with a bit more powder and this time set up the Chrony.

After a bit more testing, it will be time to play with the seating depth. Already have one grease groove exposed and 1/2 of the next driving band, so have room to move both ways.

More later.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag