Author Topic: Finally got it!!! ,with a problem though. 1895cb  (Read 1090 times)

Offline totallycustom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Finally got it!!! ,with a problem though. 1895cb
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:08:45 AM »
I finally, after a about a 1 year search, got my marlin 1895 cowboy 45/70, its pretty nice overall.   I need to get a rear sight for it and get some custom work done like cutting down the mag tube and so on. But... The rear stock is interesting though it is not walnut, when I was examining it I thought it looked kind of odd so i pulled it and it is white wood underneath just stained dark, it may also just be sapwood.   So I am going to call Marlin and see if they can send me  new one.   Has anyone had experience with the stocks being sub-par?  The fit and finish of the rear stock is not that great either.  I plan on in the near future putting a stock from treebone carving on it. What do you all think?

-TC-
-TC-

Offline Newly O'Brien

Re: Finally got it!!! ,with a problem though. 1895cb
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:57:40 AM »
totallycustom

Your Marlin stock is NOT Walnut sap-wood, it's birch with "walnut finish"... they have been like that for sometime.

Newly O'Brien

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
If it has been birch for some time, why are they listed as american black walnut stocks on the web, and on my box? My forend is most definitely walnut but not the butstock.  Just kinda weird.
-TC-

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
Sounds like it's been replaced, or swapped .  The guns Marlin makes for certain discount outlets are birch, to keep the price down.  The rest are black walnut.  I wonder if someone "Admired" your stock before you got it, and did a little switcheroo?

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:42:11 PM »
The cowboy's are usually finished just a bit better than the standard grades......I'm surprised.....I'd like to know what Marlin has to say.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 11:18:58 PM »
should have been walnut. Im about sure the man you bought it from did a switch. You should contact him and confront him on it.
blue lives matter

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:48:44 AM »
I bought it from Sportsman's Warehouse in Spokane, WA.   It was new in the box, so I don't think it was switched out.  Just a bad quality control issue, there is no other gun that comes with that style stock so just marlins factory.  I am going to call as soon as i get the chance.   Will they send me just a new stock or will I have to send in the whole rifle?  What do you all think?

-TC-
-TC-

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 11:47:50 AM »
I know it's a different company but Remington replaced a stock for me on a rifle without sending it in. They just needed the old stock and the SN of the rifle and I didn't even buy it new but used. It was a factory defect and they covered it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »
Remington did the same for me on my Model 700 classic. It had a flaw in the finish. Sent it in , received a new one. Put a composite stock on it and saved the pretty wood one for later.
I'm going to try the same with H&R on the front sight of my BC, I don't want to send in the whole rifle, but will send in the sight.
You don't know unless you ask.
Don

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 11:56:46 PM »
had to chuckle yesterday. I was in my buddys gunshop and he had a brand new 3030 336 there and the forearm was beatifully figured walnut and the but stock was as plain as any birch ive ever seen and even a differnt colar. Maby marlin has a bunch of crap butstocks there trying to get rid of.
blue lives matter

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »
Update:

I called Friday but they are not open then so Monday i will try to call at work. 

oyd  What you described on that 336 is just what my gun looks like.

-TC-
-TC-

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 01:08:05 PM »
I was looking at a couple of new Marlins today......Walnut stocks, and very nice grain.....quite nice indeed.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Modoc ED

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 06:17:50 AM »
totallycustom -

How about an update on your rifle and it's wood.

Interestingly enough, I picked up my Marlin 444SS at my gun shop Friday (5/11) and the wood on it was very nicely figured with a nice rich, deep, walnut colored, finish.  However, the gun shop owner had just gotten in two full Marlin Lever Action Cowboy Rifle sets (45-70, 45 Colt, etc.) and put up one set in his gun rack.  All of the rifles had "PALE" finished stocks.  Almost in the white so-to-speak.  Looked like they had only been lightly stained.  I commented about it to the dealer and he said, all of the Cowboy Rifles that have come through his shop have had a similar finish.  My 2007 Marlin Catalog says that all the stocks for the Cowboy Rifles are American Black Walnut so I guess they are.  One other thing.  The stock finishes shown in the catalog look lighter for the Cowboy Rifles than they do for the other lever action rifles in the catalog.  Maybe Marlin is just trying to make the finish on the Cowboy Rifles reflect the finish of the 1800s and early 1900s rifles to make them more authentic.
ED

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 08:53:31 AM »
Just talked with them and its on its way, we will see how it looks in a few days.  I did get my new sights a William's FP rear and new shorter bead for the front, but I think I am going to get a Lyman 17 globe sight instead in the .404 height.  When the new stock gets here I will take her out and shoot it, I am also trying to find a good smith around here that can cut down the magazine tube to be flush with the fore stock. Getting ahold of those guys on the eastcoats is tough by the time I get out work, those guys are long gone.

Modoc ED, I think I know what you mean about the butt stock color, I don't think it is very correct, just poor QC the fore stock is nice walnut whereas the butt stock looks like some kind of cheap rain forest wood.
-TC-

Offline Modoc ED

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 05:04:33 AM »
The Cowboy Rifles that I saw at my local gun shop were not ugly.  The wood was just pale.  One thing that gun makers are running into these days is the scarcity of good, quality, wood.  One thing that contributes to that here in the States is the lagging, almost non-existent logging of stands of forest of various types of wood.  However, it's too bad that for the prices of the rifles that we are buying these days, we can't get decent wood on some of them. 
ED