Author Topic: Deer Hunting...Inside & Out  (Read 460 times)

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Deer Hunting...Inside & Out
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:04:26 AM »
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,52523.0.html

Has anyone read the above topic on Squirrel Hunting in the Small Game forum?  It's an amazing resource on squirrel hunting and gets very specific on tactics, food, land, etc.  I think it would be great to start a topic like this on deer hunting.  Anyone consider themselves as authoritative on deer as Squacks is on squirrels?  What trees do they like, what food do they like, what kind of land layout do they like, hunting tactics, tree stand placement, etc.  If we can get this going like the one on squirrels, it would be a great resource for beginners as well as veteran hunters.

Just a thought...we'll see how it does.  If this has already been done, please point me toward that topic...
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Deer Hunting...Inside & Out
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:18:11 AM »
I believe that squirrel hunting is much the same where ever one finds them and that the same tactics will pretty much work where ever squirrels are found. While similar tactics work for deer around here deer are not the same all over. There are multiple species of deer that have different habits and habitats. The same deer requires different tactics in different habitats also.

Then you have the differences in hunters and how they prefer to hunt. Lots of different tactics might work but which suits the individual and what he feels most comfortable with matters a lot here. Deer eat litterally thousands of different foods and not all of them are available everywhere so a true expect in one area might tell you things that would have zero benefit elsewhere.

That's not to say your idea is a bad one it's just that it's not gonna be as simple as it is with squirrels in my opinion. Still good ideas can be posted and one can take those that might work in their area and try to apply them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Re: Deer Hunting...Inside & Out
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:42:04 AM »
...(laying on the ground getting kicked by GB)...

haha..just joking.  I agree with everything you said and know that it's true.  Just wanted to start a little something different.  Everyone posts kill pics and things like that after hunting (which are great by the way).  Thought it would be nice to have something different and people share the tactics they use.  You can specify where you hunt and what type of deer you hunt.

Or not...
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said