Author Topic: Expanding/Fragmenting .38s  (Read 923 times)

Offline Pecci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Expanding/Fragmenting .38s
« on: February 17, 2007, 07:07:12 AM »
Looking for opinions on what 38 Special round will expand the most.  Also are thre any rounds on the market that will fragment?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Expanding/Fragmenting .38s
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 11:57:25 AM »
Pecci:  I guess there is a good question as to whether you are better off with a expanding bullet or a solid flatnosed slug in the 38.  The 38 is a mid-power round and from shorter barrels (which are popular) you don't always get a lot of expansion.  If the bullets you shoot expand readily at low velocities they may not penetrate deeply enough to halt an attack.  Even the old standard 158 gn semiwadcutter may be preferable depending on what you're dealing with. 

Expanding or fragmenting rounds don't always do what they say they are supposed to.  You are better off with a heavier slug at moderate velocities and lots of practice putting them where they belong than depending on a bullet to act in some specific manner but, this is JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 01:08:43 PM »
Try loading a hollow based wadcutter backwards into the case.  Uses the same data as double ended wadcutter.  It's like the whole tip of the round is one big hollow point.  Keep them around 750fps and you have one heck of a CQB round.  Awsome for use out of a snubbie.

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 02:09:13 PM »
I'm sorry guys.  I should have explained that this particular round would be used on an upcoming jackrabbit hunt.

I have my Corbons for self defense.  For the trip, I was even thinking about a Rossi/Puma lever in .38, to go along with my revolver.

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
I used to have one of those in .357.  16" barrel was agreat gun, but I couldn't get it to group.  Never spent alot of time with it though so it may have been me.

.38s for small game.  Wadcutters are fun to shoot and very accurate.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »
The bulk Remington 125g HP's are pretty destructive with a muzzle velocity above 1000 fps. If you're wanting "true" explosive results, load up these bullets in 357 cases with a muzzle velocity around 1600-1700 fps. It'll nearly take a grounhogs head clean off up to 75 yards or so, and I'm pretty sure it'd easily take a jack rabbit apart. ;D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:38:34 AM »
Dang them jackrabbits.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 02:32:18 AM »
145 gr Win silvertips flat out explode out of my .357 Max, Looks like i'd shoot varmint bullets. Not sure what they'll do out of a .38 They are made to come apart thou. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Dune

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 02:52:34 PM »
Pecci, I have just started shooting cor-bons 38 special powrball, I am very impressed with it. Cor bon advertises it as 100 gr. at 1400 fps out of a 2 inch barrel.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »
Pecci, try this stuff. I ordered two boxes of it before I went in for my operation. According to their website and another discussion board  ;) this stuff really fragments. I personally haven't tried it yet due to unexpected health reasons. I wouldn't use it for self-defense but it would be interesting to watch it make things explode -- which is why I wanted to give it a try.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 04:47:57 PM »
That's nasty.  I'll have to give it a try.  Thanks, SK.