Author Topic: Optima Elite Question  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Buckmaster 30-30

• Trade Count: (0)
Optima Elite Question
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »
I have a question to those few people who own one... First off would you suggest one to somebody , second is whay kind of accuracy are you getting , third is how it compares to a handi rifle in function , reliability and other things. The reason I am asking is because I am considering one in stainless with the camo stocks in 300 win mag

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Optima Elite Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:55:17 AM »

Mine are yet unfired...but hopefully I soon will be able to answer your question better...Accuracy has been pretty good from what I have been told...and am looking forward to getting my 308 out along with the 50 cal MZ...and both of the boys 243's ..Over all fit and lock up is much better than any Handi I have ever owned...and that is saying a-lot...They were recommended to me..I went and looked at the tour of how the barrels were made...I liked what I saw...talked with the C/S manager...and liked what I heard...Went out and started looking at them shouldering them...taking them apart...and decided right then and there to start buying them...

Will they be as accurate as my Handi's...I think they will...and in time I will know for sure...Even if they aren't..but shoot as good...they still have what I want in a single shot..and they are going to offering more...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 10:12:40 AM »
Mine is shooting Rem. Corlokts about 1 1/2" with no pressure signs anywhere. I'm beginning to think the Rem. brass is not the best for this rifle though.The chamber on the rifle is on the min.side of the spec.'s and when I necksize only it pulls the shoulder out a little to far for it to chamber completly . After I started lubing the inside of the neck,it's getting better at chambering the brass.
I think the brass is not so hot,because when I checked the lenght after firing some would be .005" longer than the others,even when carefully weighing each charge. The primer's are showing very mild loads,even with the max loads of all my books.
I just shot 10 rds. of 55 gr. Sierra's and a max load of Varget and 7went in the same hole at 51 yds. I'm beging to think this rifle like's the hot loads the best. Mine's the 243 and I've got a 30 06 barrel on the way.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »
Have you tried Winchester or Federal brass in it yet?
Those are my favorites, and are easy to work with.
Sounds like your 243 is coming along nicely  8)

...they still have what I want in a single shot..and they are going to offering more...

Mac

Mac, any word if they will be adding any other calibers?
What about different stock options? Seems I read here that the Lams aren't available yet, is that true?

-Aaron

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 04:18:12 PM »
Rem brass is the only brass tested so far,but if I can find some Win. localy I'll try some of it.For right now I'm waiting on the 30 06 barrel to get here so I can use it on Hogs.I'm not real sure what I'm doing with this close tolerance chamber,and I'm not geting any pressure signs at all,so its hard to guess how much more powder this thing will take. Guess I'll have to break out the chrono and use it also.
The 243 barrel is just something to play with until I get the 30 06,and after I get it dialed in I may play with this one again.I've got plenty of varmit caliber rifles,220 Swift,2  204 Rugers, 1 223, 1 17 hmr,and somemore that I can't think of right now.(1 22 250)  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »

It's always better to use the chronograph when doing load development...These do have a nice chamber...It's amazing how things work when built correctly.. ;)

Mac 

Offline Bamasnyper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 10:31:02 AM »
I have two of them, one in .270 and one I just bought in .308. I don't shoot a lot outside of hunting situations. I don't even sight my own guns in, I hire an expert shooter to sight my in. I know this isn't the American way, but I don't have the time or the location to sight them in properly. The guy I use has never let me down before. Anyway, according to him, the .270 shoots the Federal Fusions under an inch at 100 yds.  The .308 is brand new, and I have only shot it one time with open sights just to see if it would shoot. One thing I like about them thats better than the Handis is the ability to mount the scope using low rings. I also like the pistol grip better. I don't know about long range durability, but I have been well pleased with mine thus far.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »

The Fusion Ammo is good stuff...and I've always gotten good accuracy from all my 270's...One load I will be trying is the Winchester Supreme Silver 130grain BT...this one has always done exceptionally well for me too..

Mac