Author Topic: NEF is getting on my nerves!!!!  (Read 1453 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
NEF is getting on my nerves!!!!
« on: February 22, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »
Hey guys!  I was one of the guys that begged for the .35 Whelen...  Well, LAST APRIL, I started working for one of the big sporting goods chains; a gun guy.  Every week I would check the wholesalers Accusport and Bill Hicks for the .35 Whelen.  They have 'em listed, but none in stock...ever!  Talked to one of the Bill Hicks guys last fall and he told me that had them on order for a long time and had yet to get one.  Today, I lost my patience and decided to call NEF to make sure they had them in stock because I was going to special order one for myself directly from the manufacturer.  Guess what?  They don't have any in stock and aren't planning on making a run of 'em until AUGUST!!!  She told me they were doing this since there was very low demand for them.  Hmmm...seems to me if there wasn't any demand, they'd still have some in stock. ???

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: NEF is getting on my nerves!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 04:29:35 PM »
I wouldn't plan on getting one, they discontinued it due to a Remington ammo/chamber problem, if they plan on making a run in August, it's a new plan cuz they've told a bunch of us it's been discontinued, there are several threads on it.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,109304.msg1098325014.html#msg1098325014
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:05:42 PM »
There is a NEF 35 Whelen for sale on GunsAmerica under the H&R heading

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:49:33 PM »
This is not bad news....thought I could see from your point of view it being so.....it's great news if it's true!  After learning they discontinued them I kinda gave up on looking for one.
Many here wanted them but they seemed to have head space problems, which is strange considering the same problem is true with the only other new caliber offered by NEF/H&R last year, the 7.62x39 ??? Makes ya wonder who was a mak'n these ??? ::)
Hopefully they will get it right if this is true.

-Aaron

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
I just bought a 35 whelen about 2 weeks ago.  When I heard they were discontinued, I scrambled to find one.  Got it on Gunbrokers.com for $219.00..   It was in my hand in about 5 days.  They had another one listed, but raised the price after I got mine. 

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, nor have I even looked into buying ammo or reloading components for it.

Also, the FFL dealer I used for shipping, has a 7.62 x 39 handi on his rack, brand new..  another discontinued caliber.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 06:14:32 PM »

I know exactly how you feel... :-X

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 03:51:06 AM »
I dont think you really want one! -lol  I was speaking with NEF last week and the person (name witheld) told me that they discontinued them because of all the issues relating to not firing!  They basically said that NEF was having soooo many problems that they pulled it!

Offline cgturner7

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 04:42:32 AM »
You would think NEF would do a little more research and testing before they committ to anything.  It's just bad business to publicize a certain caliber(s) only to pull them later.  Isn't that what product testing is all about?  Shame on NEF for not doing their homework.  And since I'm ranting....  Why not listen to the customer, especially on a site like this.  It's obvious the people here know their rifles inside and out.  "We" have a pretty decent idea what will work and what won't.  Rant over. 

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 06:30:14 AM »
I agree. With a little more time invested they could have saved a lot of money and a lot less headache on both calibers. Plus be able to fill an actual need/want of many customers looking for a rifle chambered in them.
 It's a strange coincidence that both the 7.62x39 and the 35 Whelen had these problems and were released the same year.
It's just sloppy worksmanship IMO.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 06:39:11 AM »
Or, there is a problem with the current batch of brass that is available????

I am not drawing conclusions just yet, nor should any of us without conclusive data.

Offline HUNTS

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 01:58:30 PM »
I never posted the end result of my unhappy 35 Whelen experience so here goes.  I had misfires with the gun right out of the box with factory loads.  I then tried reloading with RCBS FL sizing dies and several different bullets.  About 20% of the time I would get misfires.  Sent the gun back to NEF three times to try and get it fixed.  Could never tell what they did to it.  Notes on the paperwork were not detailed and phone conversations stopped with the receptionist who answers their phone.  Finally, after three months I asked for my money back and they sent me a check.

I bought a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 and have been very happy since.

Steve Hunts

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 03:58:56 PM »
 :'(  Did I mention that I have to quit my job since the wife got a job at the University of Idaho?  Did I also mention that my present job allows me to buy firearms at below wholesale?!!!!  Those are the reasons that AUGUST isn't good news to me! 
  I was kicking around the idea of a 9.3mm CZ550FS to match my one in 6.5x55.  I couldn't get myself to spend the money since my heart has been set on the Whelen; and the fact that I have owned the dies for five years without a rifle in that caliber!

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 11:00:22 AM »
What I keep wondering is it the gun or the Remington ammo. I know it a whole different animal but what factory 35 whellen I shot im my bolt gun I never had any problem or my reloads. I would also like to have one it a NEF if the problems could be straightened out.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
My 35 Handi has yet to fail to fire with Remington ammo..........

Offline gruvco

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 04:11:20 AM »
hey guys, have your dealers check with this jobber, jerrys sports center, they have several 35 whelens in stock.  good luck--jim
life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun