Author Topic: 7x50 bino's  (Read 483 times)

Offline Jim n Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
7x50 bino's
« on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:28 PM »
I want a 7x50 bino for low light work. I found a Steiner obsever at SWFA, have no clues on either of them. Input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: 7x50 bino's
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:00:38 AM »
Jim,
I have Steiner, Nikon, Pentax, and Cabela binos.  Just my honest opinion - I think Steiner makes some rugged stuff and has a great selection, and they are good, but not great optics.
I haven't been in the market for binos for a long time.  Looking at the Optic Zone's selection, I was pretty surprised to see what a good pair of phase coated roof prisms like the Nikon Monarchs is down to now.  Decent roofs used to be a lot more expensive - but technology and competition is providing better stuff for less money in the medium priced brackets.
I don't know what your price window is, but I would think that you would get a lot of optical performance in a porro Nikon 7 X 50 for a very reasonable price, if that is the magnification and size you are looking for.  Optic Zone is a sponsor here and their prices, advice, and service is hard to beat.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 06:12:03 AM »
Bushnell is changing their Discoverer line and phasing out the 7x42 binoculars for 8x42. I have the 7x42 Discoverer made under the B&L label and I can recommend them as the work well in low light. Shop around and you may find the 7x2's for a good price.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »
I have Zeiss Classic porro-prism 7x50, and it is indeed an excellent choice for low light, with an exit pupil diameter of over 7mm (objective lens diameter divided by magnification), at my age this is greater, then the diameter that my pupils will dilate and thus provides more light than I can use.  Also bear in mind that porro-prisms are bulkier and heavier than a roof prism binocular.  I also have an 8x30 Zeiss Classic, which is a roof prism, and do not feel hampered in low light even though the exit pupil diameter is only around 2.5mm, but I’m over 50 and my pupils probably only dilate to 4 or maybe 5mm at max.  I think if I were in the market again I would look for a binocular that provided an exit pupil of around 5mm.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 01:07:51 PM »
Thank you for the replies, and I took your advice in away. I am 63 and some years ago the wife and I visited Alaska, for this event we bought Nikon Monarch glasses in 8x40 and 10x40. This was a major purchase in glass for us in quality. I can not hold the 10x steady enough to get a "good look" at my target. So after your input I decided to go for a Swarovski 7x50, as I hunt or stalk in low lite and old eye's the 7x50 gives the best light gathering abilities.
Jim

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 01:58:13 AM »
Those definitely should be good glass!  I'm sure they'll do great for you. :)
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.