Author Topic: Tamer 20 gauge  (Read 1652 times)

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
Tamer 20 gauge
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
Ok, what are your thoughts on the NEF Tamer 20 gauge.
I’m leaning more towards the 20 gauge over the 410. More ammo choices, availability and more shot.
But I’m wondering if slugs could be used since it’s has a full choke?

Thanks

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Tamer 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:56:01 AM »
Yes, you can shoot slugs through it.  You will want to try different brands and see which does the best for you....same as with any slug gun.  Those Tamer 20 sure do look cool.  I will be gettin' one as soon as the are available.
Oh Yeah,  who says you only have to get ONE...Why not just get both...Tamer 410 & Tamer 20 ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:23:56 AM »
Cookieman,

Using a slug would be important in a Tamer 20. I've shot them in modified chokes, but never though a full choke. I haven't checked yet on their availability. So I may just have to get the Tamer 410 first. Either would make a great camp gun!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 02:38:47 AM »
I have shot many slugs through full chokes in 12, 16, and 20 gauge guns and if you stick to the regular Foster style slugs by the standard companies or the Brennekes and any of the similar styles with the attached rear felt plastic wad it will be fine. The only problem might be with some of the full dimension extra hard cast specialty slugs out out by some smaller speciality ammunition companies. If you plan on using those just ask the company. Slugs from major companies are made to fit through the smallest standard bore out there for liability reasons. The grooves on "rifled" foster slugs swage down to fit through the smaller full chokes as they pass through with no damage to the barrel. As an aside spin is imparted to the slug by those grooves for stalbiization by and in the air, not by the barrel while traveling through it. Some slugs may shoot more accurately in modified or Improved cylinder barrel than through a full choke barrel but any of those chokes will usually shoot slugs more accurately than a true cylinder bore barrel, which by the way come in several different diameters for the same choke, depending on the manufacturer and the run of barrels or reamer used. My 16 gauge with a full choke barrel is among the most accurate smoothbore shotguns I have when shooting the old Foster style Remington slugs...Best of luck....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 02:58:02 AM »
I want one of these too. I really need another truck gun. I wonder why they went with a full choke instead of a mod?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 03:23:32 AM »
If available, I would definitely go with the 20 myself.  More power, more and cheaper ammo available.  The .20ga would be lighter than the .410 also.  The outside dimensions of both barrels are the same so the wall of the .410 is much thicker than that of the 20ga. making the gun heavier.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
H&R's proclivity to now make .410 and 16 gauge barrels in full choke only has me baffled also. Is it just another poor business decision or is there someone in the company that just likes full choke barrels? Perhaps they are trying to keep inventory down and most companies make .410's in full when a modified would be really great but the 16's really have me baffled. Do they think all people that like 16's are waterfowl hunters? what about us upland hunters, a modified 16 would be sweet, and how about one with a screw in choke system, that would be great....<><.... ::)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:22:29 AM »
16ga is now the only guage that I don't have and I'm holding out for one with choke tubes.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 07:05:07 AM »
On the Tamers, maybe the thinking is to get a better pattern for 25yd and over shots, since the barrel is only 20".  But, that argument cannot be used on the 16 s.  I have thought of having my Tamer 20(when I get it) opened to Mod. choke.  Won't cost much and would make it a much better shooter. IMO  I will have it mic'd before that decision is made.  I had one of my 12ga barrels mic'd a while back.  I don't remember what the measurement was, but the smithy said it was wider than a Mod. choke should be.  H&R has really been know for having tight tolerances, so who knows, it may not really be a FULL choke.
Brett, the muzzle on my Tamer 410 is not the same OD as my 20ga barrel.  Maybe in the chamber area they are the same, but the 410 barrel has a taper to it.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 02:43:21 PM »
Cookieman, I guess I should have been a little more specific. You are correct the muzzle does taper down. However, the outside dimension from the chamber area out to the front of the forend are the same on both barrels allowing both barrels and foreends to interchange.   Weigh your .410 barrel and your 20ga. barrel and see which is heavier.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC