Author Topic: A strange gun law  (Read 1554 times)

Offline **oneshot**

• Trade Count: (0)
A strange gun law
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:48:43 PM »
I happen be in New York state this morning.  I stopped at a "Big name" sporting goods store and discovered the pistol I have been looking for.   I asked the clerk to take it out so I could look at it.  His next question was to see my New York handgun permit,  to which I replied I did not have one since I am from PA.  He then tells me that in NY you need a handgun permit before they can even let you handle one in the store.

I have heard of some strange gun laws but that is unbelievable in my own mind.
Respect the animals we hunt.  Shoot with confidence.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: A strange gun law
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »
Illinois has a similar law.  I live in IN and when in Ill I asked to look at a long gun in a shop last summer.  The first thing the guy asked me was for my permit (not sure what the exact term was).  Told him I did not have one and was from Indiana and he told me I could not look at the gun.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 02:05:54 PM »
I used to work out of an office in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We had a slow week and I went to a shop to buy a Crosman air powered bb pistol.
I was told I needed a permit first.
I ended up buying a Crosman rifle and steeing up targets in the back of the office and went thru plenty of bb's in the following days

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »
But you can purchase from a dealer there via the net and he will send it too you thru a ffl.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 05:50:44 PM »
That is true.  The Illinois dealer told me I could have it shipped to a FFL dealer in Indiana, but he still would not give me the gun to look at.

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:21:44 PM »
Alaska is looking better to me every day.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »
The phrase "strange gun law" is a redundacy.   >:(
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:49:58 PM »

More Like borderline Communism, Tell you what we need is a 2nd amendment, Wouldn't that be great?......Joe.....
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 02:11:12 AM »
I don't know of any such law in NYS.  That is store policy only based on the efforts of the NYC cops and blumberg to entrap gun dealers.  If you don't have a permit it's 'ts' and they don't have to worry about you.  If you are a cop it will show on your permit and you're busted, so to speak and they know you are trying to entrap them. 

Had a dealer locally who was in his shop and a fella walks in and asks to see this handgun and he says 'let's see your permit', to which the walk-in replies with a motion of sweeping back his coat to expose a gun in a belt holster.  The dealer looks at him and does the same thing and says 'Gee, I've got one too' and either you show me your permit or I'm holding you for the State Police.  So the walk-in shows his badge but no permit and the dealer still wouldn't let him fondle the gun, so he left. 

Ya just gotta be careful these days. Mikey.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 07:21:52 AM »
I lived in Florida for many years, in the last ten or so, many shops are real reluctant to let you handle the guns, unless you are going to purchase.  How do you know if you want it, if you can't handle it, they have no answer; except(store policy).  I recently moved to Ky..You go in most stores and the guns are on open racks, gunstores even have them out in the open without any locks.  It's like it was in my childhood in north Florida; where as a teen I could go in sears or the local hardware store and play with all their shotguns and rifles until a salesman came to shoo me away; after many minutes.  Oh, for the good old days..

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 07:27:30 AM »
Jaqua's fine guns in Findlay Ohio has very few guns that are in cases. I heard long ago they got a high dollar Browning shotgun and would not let anyone handle it. It stayed in the rack a long time. Some how the owner figured out that people buy guns they have in their hands. It is not uncommon for me to be in Jaqua's for an hour and see 2 or 3 $10,000+ shotguns get sold
http://www.jaquas.com/

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 07:53:47 AM »
Bullseye, It is called a firearms owners identification card (foid) and you need one to even look at a gun or purchase ammo. Not only do you have to have a foid, you have a background check also when you go to purchase a gun! It's really stupid when you have to go through a background check to get the card in the first place. Just another way for the government to get more money out of us.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline barber

• Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 05:39:06 AM »
Sure glad I live on the West Coast, so far, anyway.
barber

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »
I think California is on that end of the country too, so it can't all be roses out there either.

Offline chris s

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
NYS had a law that said if you were between 18 and 21 you handle/shoot a handgun. if you were over 21 you legaly couldn't shoot. Now the law was changed to 14 years old with supervision.

Offline sig232

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
I count my blessings that in Oregon I can fondle any gun in any shop as long as the shop owner agrees.

I think that all the big cites are going the way of NY city and will be there soon. Its a real shame that there are getting to be so many laws and restrictions that it is almost impossible to know them all for each state to keep yourself out of trouble. Thats intentional I'm sure. The incremental movement to complete registration of guns and elimination of many varities is moving quickly now!

Watch what this new Congress does as soon as they capture the White House in 08. >:(