Author Topic: Smith 500 going back....again  (Read 781 times)

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Smith 500 going back....again
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »
  After being returned for coming unlocked when firing, we finally got to try it out, 3 malfunctions in less than 100 rounds.  This is my brothers gun, and he called S&W yesterday, and got a gentleman, (term used very loosely), who said that 440 grain bullets are just too heavy for the gun, and we needed to drop to 350 grainers to solve this problem.  Ummm, NO.  This thing was never sold with this stipulation, and this should be a non-issue.  He then said because it kicks so hard, we were accidentally pulling the trigger twice, causing the problem.  When my brother said the cylinder is rotating backwards onto an empty case, not forward, the guy didn't know what to say.  He says it's our problem but if we wanted to send it back, fine, but don't expect them to find anything wrong.  This gun has malfunctioned with several shooters, and with loads as mild as 1,200 fps.  In the course of less than 400 rounds, it has malfunctioned at least 5 times.  They won't be getting a nice letter this time.  This will be their last shot at fixing it, after that, it's refund or replace.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Smith 500 going back....again
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
You have every right to be upset, the unlatch problem and the cylinder rotating problem has been there from day one. They know about it and were suppose to fix that problem with all the newer guns. As far as the bullet weight that is pure BS. I shoot 575, 620 and 700 gr. bullets in my S&W 500 Mag all the time with no problem, also my buddy shoots my 575 gr. reloads on a constant basis. Talk to someone that knows what they are talking about, when I call them, I tell them I want to speak to someone the actually works on the 500 Mag.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »
Whatta shame they can't all get behind their flagship revolver.   ???  Somebody needs to tell them this kind of information flys around the internet very quickly. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 02:56:25 PM »
Dusty, they know of the problems. I have been involved with the 500 Mag from day one. I have seen the problems and know why the 500 Mag took almost a year longer to release than expected to the public. Some of them were the unlatch problem, cylinder rotation problem. Some of the older models are still out there that have not been fixed. But for some reason when people call S&W they get a real winner that does not know his head from his or her butt. If I get an answer I don't like, I ask for someone else to speak too.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »
  I asked my brother if he asked to speak to a supervisor, but he said he was so P-O'd by that point in the converstion that he didn't think of it.  He will send it back once more, but I for one don't expect a whole lot.  I'll help with drafting a letter that may express our dissatisfaction.  I'll explain that we put on the local pistol shoots, and we have the opportunity to share our experiences with many other shooters, (potential buyers).  We'll see.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 12:56:15 AM »
dubber123, I would also call S&W back and let them know exactly how you feel. Speak to the supervisor and let them know ahead of time, before you send the gun off.  S&W knows of the problems you are having, but like I said, you will get someone that has no experience answer the phone and tell you anything.

It was just like when I ordered an end cap for my 500 Mag, when it got here it would not fit my 500 Mag. I looked at it and the hole when the bullet would come out of the barrel looked like a 45 cal hole, so I measured it, well you guessed it, it was for a 45 cal. So I called S&W up and the lady told me it should fit??? I told her the bullet of the 500 Mag was to big and would not come out of the hole, she put me on hold and then got back to me after she talked to someone, and told me it was suppose to be a tight fit and the bullet would go through the smaller hole.  I told her I wanted to speak to the tech department, so she put me through to the tech department, come to find out, they were advertising the end cap for the 500 Mag , but it was actually made for the 460 Mag.  :o :o

Well they updated there web site to change the end cap for the 460 not the 500 Mag. The good thing is, the 460 mag end cap or any of the 460 comp's are not designed to fit the 500 Mag. The are not interchangeable. If they were someone might of blown up there gun. So that is why I don't talk to the first person that answers the phone, get the tech department involved.

Now I have had my 460 Mag end cap modified it fit my 500 Mag, and it works like a champ. I did not like them loud comps on my 4 inch 500 Mag. For that matter, I don't like any comps on my 460 or 500 Mags. .

I hope this helps you before your brother sends his gun in to S&W.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »
I will go over what we want to do.  It may involve me calling Smith.  I get ticked off a little less easy than my brother, so I may get a little farther down the chain of command.  We have been trying to go on a hunt every year or two, and last year I finally talked him into a handgun hunt, and now he's prety well hooked.  We had talked about a bear hunt, but I wouldn't be too keen on it with a gun you can't count on for two consecutive shots.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 11:46:42 AM »
I agree, I want my guns to function correctly also. Please let us know how it works out for you.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA