Author Topic: Got My Turkey Gun  (Read 471 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Got My Turkey Gun
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:47:26 PM »
Got the barrel for my turkey gun today.  Bought a 20ga, 26"Full choke barrel from stimpy.  I think I am gonna like it.  At 25 1/2", I see the bead really well.  That was a pleasant surprise.  I haven't had a barrel more than 24" since my first shotgun nearly 30 yrs. ago.  I think it will make a very good turkey gun and will work well on pheasant, too.  I have decided to try my hand at painting.  I want to do my own camo paint on it.  As long as I get the shine off and some green, black, gray and brown on it, I can't really screw it up.  Does the Limbsaver slip on come in camo or will I have to paint it, too.  I was thinkin' ahead last year when I bought my sling and it is camo. 

I caught a sale today and picked up some camo clothing and the real find was a gilley style cloth blind.  It's a 12' X 60" blind.  I still need to pick up a Crow Call and a Turkey Call and then it will be off to my buddy's house to try out and assortment of shells to see what works best in the new barrel.  I have over a month to scope out the area I will be hunting and practice my calling.  Yeah, I know it will go by fast, so "Get Busy" ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: Got My Turkey Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
Nice going, that is similar to the set up I want to get.  Good luck with it.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »
That "Sweet 16" you been eyeing would make a great turkey gun.  Go for it.  There are a bunch of guys around that use em for turkey, as well as everything else and YES you can shoot slugs through it.  Some have been known to be very accurate with slugs...you just have to find the one it likes.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 04:14:41 AM »
The 20 ga Handy with full choke is what  I switched to last spring. It patterns well out to 35 yds, is very light to carry, and for me points quite naturaly. I'm using Winchester Elite 3inch #4 for my turkey load ,and am confident that they will get the job done.The only change I made was to put a slip on recoil pad on it to give me a little greater length of pull. It helps me to keep my head downwhen I shoot.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 04:33:28 AM »
I like my 16 very well, as those of you who are regulars prpbably know, but for the number of easily available and reasonably priced shells out there today, especially for turkey hunting, and the fact that Jal5 wants this setup to start his wife, a person new to hunting to boot, on turkey hunting I suggest he go more like your setup Cokkieman, a nice full choke 20 gauge. I also suggest he load it with  2 3/4 in shells for his wife, heck, I prefer them myself!!! Of course I am not affected with that malady called "magnumitus" that some have that makes them need or want to shoot the most powerful shells on the market, even if they get to flinch so badly with them they can't hit anything and even if the patterns are lousy and blown all open becuase of the overload of power. Be sure to pattern your gun with different loads at different ranges and know at what distance you can cleanly and effectivley harvest a turkey before you go out into the woods. Have fun and best of luck....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley