Author Topic: One old and one new  (Read 854 times)

Offline blackplague14

• Trade Count: (4)
One old and one new
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:04:57 PM »
I was talking with a friend this weekend, and he mentioned that he had an old NEF 20 ga.  He brought it over and I ended up getting it for $25.  It was one of the most neglected firearms that I have ever seen.  Pretty much no finish left on the receiver or barrel, with pitting here and there.  The last 3" of the bore were just solid pitting.  I decided to make a project of it, but I didn't think to take any "before" pictures.  When I showed the finished project to my wife, she said "Wasn't it brown before?'  I laughed, but she was right.  I just looked brown from all the rust.

Anyways, I cut the barrel down to 18 1/2" on the cold saw at work.  Used a scotch-brite pad and WD-40 to remove the rust on the outside of the barrel and the inside/outside of the reciever.  The receiver and trigger mechanism were full of crud and rust.  Thanks to the FAQ, I was able to reassemble  everything.

I masked off all the important parts and sprayed on a layer or primer.  Then OD Mobile paint.  Then Krylon highlights.  I used the kids' synthetic stock left over from their single shot AR project.  I still need to install a bead at the muzzle and work some more on scrubbing out the bore.  I gave it to Max tonight.  He is 7, and this is his first gun that is just his.  The .223 is for all the kids to share, and Nathan has been carrying my old Topper Jr.

Here's the pic:

I also picked up a new 12ga for myself.  Unfired in box.  s/n HS indicates 2002 manufacture.  SB1-T10 w/ 24" Full choke and camo laminate straight stock.  It has the National Wild Turkey Federation stamped on the right side of the receiver.  I got it to turkey hunt with, but then didn't see it on the current web-site.  Is it anything special?  I don't want to screw up some limited run thing by shooting it and dragging it around the woods of N. Georgia.

Jon

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: One old and one new
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
The smile on that boy's face is what it's all about!! Good job!! ;)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
Nice job on Max's gun.  Looks like he's going to enjoy it.  I really like the look of those straight stocks on your new 12ga.   I don't think that the what in the world models are particularly rare.  I would not hesitate to use it myself.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »
Way to go on fixin' one up for your youngster. I remember those days very well. ;D

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
Good job on bringing  life back to an old neglected gun. That gun i going to have a fair amount of recoil just because it's so light. I never worried about recoil when I was a kid because I wanted to be just like the men but it seems to be an issue for many. The NWTF guns have been gone for a few years now but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it. These guns don't seem to loose there value but they don't seem to appreciate either. Shoot it and enjoy it. That's what it was made for.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline blackplague14

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 04:35:41 PM »
I have already thought about the recoil and was going to put some weight in the hollow of the synthetic stock when at the range.  Take it out when in the field, so that it is lighter to carry around and he won't notice the recoil with the excitement of a squirrel in the sights.

I'm glad to hear that the 12 ga is a shooter.  I don't have a single "safe queen" in the safe, and I was afraid this would end up being one.  I had been looking at it for about three weeks at the local shop and finally gave in. Speaking of recoil, I see that it is chambered in 3 1/2".  That has to be rough in a gun this light.  Think I'll stick with 2 3/4 or 3" since I shoot left handed when I'm really right handed.  I still can't seem to have the proper stance to absorb recoil since having to learn to shoot with the other hand.

Jon

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:49:15 PM »
Great lookin' ole 20ga.  You did a fine job.  Even though it must be awkward feeling, did changing to shoot left handed improve your shooting.  I have the same problem with the eye dominance thing.  It's really only a problem for me when wing shooting and I don't do so much of that.
Have you checked you boys, for the eve dominance.  Much easier to start em out shooting with the dominant eye than to try to  change em later. ;)  Anyways, have fun with those 2 new guns and enjoy.  The pay off really is the look on Max's face.  That's what it's all about.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:10:18 AM »
You were mighty smart to start your young son with a 20 rather than a .410, and you did a terrific job reclaiming a good one for him. As others have said, the straight-stock 12 is a shooter -- take it out and enjoy it! Congratulations on being such a great Dad!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline blackplague14

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 11:33:59 AM »
Even though it must be awkward feeling, did changing to shoot left handed improve your shooting.  I have the same problem with the eye dominance thing.  It's really only a problem for me when wing shooting and I don't do so much of that.

cookiemann

I was right eye dominant, but was blinded in that eye in a work accident several years ago. 

For some reason, shooting hand guns only took about a day at the range to get used to.  Of course I still shoot them right handed, but it just came very naturally for the pistol's front sight to automatically come up in front of my left eye.

With long guns at the bench, I shoot the same as always.  Didn't really have a problem "teaching" my left hand to squeeze the trigger.  But shooting while standing was a pain.  I tend to stand too square to the target and can't absorb recoil as well while shooting offhand.  When I take the time to think about it and place my feet properly, it is not a problem, but while shooting a course that requires movement, it really slows down my follow up shot.

Practice makes perfect, so I just need more practice for it to become second nature.

BTW

I read and post on alot of different gun boards.  There are some where you feel that if you don't spend a ton of money on a rifle and don't have high end sighting systems then you are looked down upon.  It may be true that I don't have much money to spend on my hobby, but I have my priorities (the kids being at the top of the list).

You guys have always been helpful and positive.  I took a gun that a pawn shop probably wouldn't have taken and spent a few hours of time and no money to make it shootable again, and every post in this thread has been supportive.  Not a single post saying that I wasted time on something that should've been thrown in the trash.

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks.  I'm glad I found such a cool place to hang out.

Jon

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:32:24 PM »
I'd say it was time well spent!Bet Max will enjoy that gun for many years. ;D ;D
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
YOU did great blackplague14, it's great tp have you here....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 02:06:11 AM »
You did a realy nice job on that old shotgun. I'm sure it will be treasured by that young lad all his life. And in his grown up years  that cilinder bore 20 will be a great home defender for him .
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline blackplague14

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 08:01:44 AM »
I'm hoping the cylinder bore will provide enough spread that it will be easy for him to bust stationary clays or whatever the target is, so he will build confidence in his shooting.  I still haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet, so I don't know how evenly it will pattern with the home-grown chop job done to it.

Jon

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 09:00:21 AM »
Your son's smile is priceless glad to see such a neglected gun go to someone who will have many fond memories with it. You done GOOD
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!