Author Topic: federal primers  (Read 773 times)

Offline greyling

• Trade Count: (1)
federal primers
« on: March 03, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
I was at gander last night buying primers (only local place to get them) and the federal primers were substantially cheaper than the others, they are also packaged differently, and my lee book says don't use them in the auto primer. Are they inferior? more danderous? what is it that makes them different?

Offline joshco84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: federal primers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »
the guy at my lgs says not to use federals because they like to go off in the primer press.  just hearsay for me, i have never had it happen

josh
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »
Federal primers work fine for me in the Lee Auto Prime handheld, I've never primed in the press, like the handheld too much!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
Grayling.
I have used thousands of Federal primers in two of my Lee Auto Prime large and small primers. I used the Federeal match primers for BR shooting and standards for hunting. I am not the only one that uses the Federal primers in the Lee Auto Prime.

One thing about the Lee Auto prime, the handle will break easy with primers that are a bit tied, I have a spare handle around all the time and send them in for a free replacement when they break.

I think I broke four or five already. Lapua brass has tight pockets and the Lee Auto Prime handle is not up to the task on new unfired brass.

You should ask Lee what  this is all about. Maybe they get tired of supplying free pot metal handles. I have cursed these handles more than once. Though if this bothers anybody get a big bucks one from Sinclair or RCBS or from K&M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »
I bought one of those pricey Sinclair primer seaters long ago. They sure work fine. ;D

Mc ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »
Fred,

Where does the handle break? I have 2 of em, one each set up for small and large primers, keep em greased up with white lithium grease so they work butter smooth, have read of others that have used them for 10s of thousands of primings and never broke one yet, have also read of those that won't use them cuz they have broke em. My opinion so far is those that don't follow the instructions and lube them are the ones that have problems with em, but I've only loaded probably 2500-3000 rounds with one of em and hardly any with the other, so I can't really speak from experience yet compared to those that have used them for a long time like yourself.

Tim

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52465522&page=&fpart=all&vc=1
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »
I am still using a Lee  autoprime that I bought new in  @1979 and it is still going strong.I use lite grease on it about once a year   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »
mine is new and has only done 100 rounds and is working great, but that is not exactly a great testimonial, seeing as how it is a new guys trial run ;D ;D ;D  and as i said before it is just hearsay for me, it has never happened, but all i have used with shotshells and rifles so far is winchesters.

josh
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »
Tim
All the handles broke right at the bottom of the flat handle. Yes I lube the joints.

All broken handles occurred with Lapua Match brass 6mmBR, 220Russion, 30-06, 243. I do primer pocket uniforming. This will lower the primer about two thou below the base. Primers are seated so they are tight to the bottom, which needs the extra push in a clean pocket.

The last lot of new brass I had to use the loading press, so not to break the handle again. They were tight small Federal Match primers. Next time I break a handle I will send you a picture.

I have never broken a handle with domestic brass which is much softer and has a bit of give to it. Fed primers are the softest ones and give reliable ignition.

Yes I do know how to prime brass, however I am the only match shooter in our club that uses the Lee Auto Prime, and been told to get a stronger Auto prime.

Lately at a match I take a small Lee press and do a manual primer job clamped to
a loading table. As it is I only have to make 100rounds at the range because I only have a 100 cases the first 100 I make at home.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 01:47:09 AM »
Never had a problem with Federal Primers. I switched to Federal Primers back in the 80's when shooting PPC matches. Most of us that were shooting tuned (double action only) PPC Revolvers were having trouble with an occasional misfire. A guy told us to switch to Federal & it would take care of the problem. And it did. I've used mostly all Federal Primers every since, with both rifle & pistol without a single problem. Never have used a hand held primer. I use both RCBS & Dillon presses.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »
I sold my Auto-Prime way back when, only to find out the CCI 250 primers I bought 4 bricks of, are slightly oversized compared to the Remington I was using. I bought the 250's at clearance pricing (under $10) if I remember correctly. Now I use those primers in cases that my Remington 9 1/2M's slide in too easily. While I have all brands of primers I mostly use Remington and will go to all Remington in my way of thanking them for pushing Zumbo off the bus. They didn't dilly/dally around, they got rid of him directly. Now my bulk bullet and component business is going to Remington. I have used 12,000 of their primers so far and really like them.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »
As for Federal primers, (the original post question), I have used them and had no problems with them. I have not used any in s/a rifles or pistols. I have mainly used Remington 7 1/2's for rifle and WSP's for pistol.

Around here the Federals were always more expensive and had a bulky package. The Remingtons were always the best bargain and have the smaller packaging for compact storage.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »
I've gone from CCI primers to Federals, which I never thought I'd do. However the federal match primers are all I use now in my rifles. They just "do better". When I run out of what CCI's I have left, I'll be using Federals in my pistols and revolvers, too.I already use them in my .45 Colt and .45 acp loads, as well as my .480 for some loads.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »
aren't Federal primers manufactured with a slightly larger diameter than the others?   i think i've seen that at www.long-range.com

before i bought an RCBS hand-held primer i'd used a Forster unit that i'd mounted on the chest/dresser that i load on.    it would / will allow me to seat the tougher primers into the 7mm Rem' Mag's (Rem' and Win' brass) that the RCBS hand-held unit wouldn't seat completely.   it was somewhat a problem to adjust the 'retainers' that hold the brass in place for priming on the Forster,  but it was worth it.   i'd recommend it to anyone who has a problem with any other kind/brand of primer.   

the only reason i ever bought the RCBS hand-held unit was because of its $20 price tag just a couple years ago at a show.    it is somewhat handier, but it does not do a better job than the Forster.   

my buddy now loads his own 7mm Mag's so i don't need the Forster as frequentlly as i used to.

just my experience,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Kentucky Shooter

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 04:02:52 PM »
federal primers work great for me---they are also the primer of choice for guns that have had trigger action jobs to ensure reliable function--apparently, they are a little softer than other brands and easier to go pop (see Clark Custom guns website for their recomendations on their target trigger jobs).
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands...."- Charlton Heston, 2000 NRA Convention

Offline COLT45

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »
Like OLDHandgunner I shot PPC in the late 80's- and started using Federal Primers--I have loaded thnousands of rds in a Dillon Square Deal--and so far no primer problems--the diameter of Feds are the same as the others.