Author Topic: Death Rates from Firearms Iraq and Washington, DC comparison  (Read 560 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Statistics after 22 months.

If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq Theater of Operations during the last 22 months, and a total of  2,112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers. Now remember, this is an area where people are really trying to kill one another as part of a war act.

The firearm /stabbing death rate in Washington D.C. is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period.

That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in  the U.S. Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the  nation, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion: The U.S. should pull out of Washington immediately.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Death Rates from Firearms Iraq and Washington, DC comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
 I agree D.C. is a total loss we need to pull out now and wall it off. Just lets make sure we don't let any of the politicians out. What a really good indicator for the gun control debate.

I've heard it said here befor that the Mayor , Marion Barrie said that DC isn't a bad place if your don't count the murders or something to that effect.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:45:09 PM »
I took my family there & to NYC about 5 weeks before 911. Both were great to see, but that was it, & I doubt that I will return. I live 1,000 miles away from DC & much further from NYC & that is close enough!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline fe352v8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »
I make a living with statistics and there is a flaw in this premise, it omits Iraqi civilians or non-combatants.  What you say is quite true, when only considering US military personnel, however if one use the same criteria; I think you will find that Washington DC is infinitely safer for US military personnel than is Iraq.

Figures don’t lie, but liars figure, and the cited statistics are a perfect example.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:30:32 AM »
fe352v8, you are correct, it does not count the Iraqi civilians or non-combatants, but it does make one think.  ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:50:54 AM »
Redhawk1 - I agree with you completely and believe we should get the hell out of Washingtoad D.C., news york and sam's clam disco all at the same time.  Turn them into free-ports and let them govern themselves or become subordinate to our authorita.................

Who figures statistics?? - fe352v8..  OK, since cars kill more people than guns, knives kill more people that guns, heart disease kills more people than knives and alcholism kills more people than heart disease, what are someone's cumulative chances of being run over, shot or knifed by someone who need not be intoxicated or suffering heart disease???????????  Just wonderin'.  Mikey.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:48:12 AM »
Of course statistics are used & manipulated, no doubt. When I read it, I looked at it from a standpoint of being a US soldier in Irac vs a
citizen in DC. In that light, it is interesting.

Offline fe352v8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:20:55 AM »
Redhawk1,

You really want to think, compare the death rates of US military personnel engaged as occupational forces in Japan and Germany at the end of WWII, against those in Iraqi, after George declared “mission accomplished”.  There is a difference between winning battles and winning a war, and it’s beginning to look like our leaders didn’t have a clue, and still don’t

Mikey,

Who figures statistics?  In cases of morbidity, it is often a person who works as an actuary.  In answer to your question I do not know.  I do know however that if you were to buy life insurance the primary basis for determining your premium rates would be age, gender, and tobacco usage.  And before we divest ourselves of our major metropolitan areas, we might want to look at some census data, seems they are centers of economic growth.  Mayberry might be a great place to live, but the job market looked a little weak.

Nomosendero,

The valid comparison is either a soldier stationed in DC vs. Iraq or the general population of DC vs. that of Iraq, when you mix the two you just get a statistically invalid conclusion.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 11:39:54 AM »
The amount of deaths listed at 2,112 is in reference to US soldiers, not Iraqi's & I know how numbers are used & it would of course depend on how it is worded as to whether or not it is valid, we both know it & again it is interesting.

Of course this pointless discussion could be because some may not like these numbers.

Mikey, I don't know if you have been to Mayberry & I don't know about the jobs there, but I guess I am blessed, I have never had a problem getting a job here. But I am glad some folks live in the bigs cities, if everyone moved to the country, the hunting would not be as good.  ;D

Back to the actual subject, Redhawk, thanks for the info.