Poll

If H&R was only to produce one.  Which one would you prefer and why?

Tracker I (Non-Rifled)
13 (46.4%)
Tracker II (Rifled)
3 (10.7%)
Offer Both
12 (42.9%)
No Preferrence
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Tracker I vs Tracker II (Please Vote)  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Tracker I vs Tracker II (Please Vote)
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:12:15 AM »
H&R is now sold out of all Tracker I barrels.  I sent them an email this morning to let them know that there is still a demand for those barrels.  My suggestion to them is to save a little money by offering the Tracker I again, as a whole gun, and discontinuing the Tracker II, as they already have 3 of the finest rifled slug guns on the market in the USH series in 12 and 20 adult and 20ga youth. 

Lets sound off with this pole and let our collective voice be heard.  I think there are more of you out there who think as I do, so stand up and be counted.

Rich...the cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Tracker I vs Tracker II (Please Vote)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 02:26:27 AM »
The Tracker II is a great gun but the Sabot slugs a very expensive to shoot with prices from about $12 to $18 for a box of five, the gun is just about limited to the effective use of that type of  ammo since foster style slugs lead the barrel very quickly and the rifling throws shot shell pellets all over the place and ruins any possibility of good patterns. The Tarcker I is a great gun and slugs can be purchased from under $2 a box of 5 and up and you can shoot the expensive sabots in it if you want. With the less expensive foster style slugs it is plenty accurate on deer sized game out to about 75 yards with 3"-4" groups at that range commonplace. On a mansized silouette regular hits in the torso at 100 yards are easily attainable 100% of the time. You could easily hit a pumpkin or watermelon at 100 yards with no problem with the gun and the slugs it preferred on a regular basis. And did I memtion, it's MUCH cheaper to shoot and will digest any 12 gauge round ever made. If you get one and have it threaded for choke tubes you will really have a do-all shotgun but even without the choke tubes it is a real winner....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:07:40 AM »
As Andy pointed out, both guns have a place in our hunting experience-depends on the range and what game you are after. I lean toward the Tracker II, but both guns should be available. Hunman55

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:26:19 AM »
I voted for both. I guess I waited too long to send in for a Tracker I barrel, actually 2 barrels, as I was going to have both the 20 and 12 fitted. :'(

I have a 20 ga Tracker II barrel and a 20 ga USH (LE), but would love to have a smooth bore with open sights for hunting in the thick stuff (cornfields). I bought the Tracker II barrel with the previous intentions, but a Tracker with the smooth bore would serve my purposes better and at much less cost since most shots would be within 30 yards or so.

The 20 ga Tracker II would serve a much better purpose, if it was D&T'd for a scope mount, from the factory. I bought the T II barrel last year, but have never shot it since I have the USH too. I have been thinking about selling the Tracker II barrel, to either buy or trade for a Tracker I.

If a guy is looking to D&T a 20 ga barrel for a scope mount, that could be done with any plain jane barrel with a modified choke even. The "Sweet 16" Browning slug barrel has choke built into it.

So H&R/NEF, please bring back the Tracker smooth bores. I will buy one in each guage, even the 16 if you make one.

It is hard to justify using the expensive saboted slugs for shots under 50 yards.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 05:58:44 AM »
I voted offer both. There is no reason why they couldn't offer both there would be no new tooling or production costs involved. there is definitely a market for them heck they could take a tracker 1 and thread it for choke tubes and call it a turkey barrel. I know I'd buy one.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:27:11 AM »
I say offer both too.
However if I had to pick just one, I would go with the Tracker 1. If you want to really shoot those Sabot slugs then it seems to me the USH is the way to go to get the most range out of it.
As for a walking/stalking Slug gun, I would rather have a Tracker 1. Being able to shoot both Foster type slugs and shotshells, takes the cake in versatility.
But offer it DRILLED and TAPPED in both 12 and 20ga models

-Aaron

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
Cookieman, I couldn't disagree with you more. Why ask that someone be thrown under the train? Ask the factory to make both!

As for slug price, how many are you going to shoot after initial sight in? I might shot 4-6 rounds per year, a few to make sure nothing has changed and whatever I shoot at whitetails.

Aaron I have not seen any difference in range or accuracy in my Tracker II over the USH I once owned.

Still can't figure why you would ask the factory to discontinue any offering? ???

Busta, If you decide to sell the Tracker II 2o ga. barrel, Let me know. ;D

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
I say at least have the Tracker I as an accessory barrel. A smoothbore barrel that can shoot everything from birdshot to slugs just makes more sense to me. The Tracker II is a great slug gun but that's it. A good shotgun is supposed to be a "do it all" firearm and the Tracker II  just isn't.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 01:02:57 PM »
Carbineman, WHEN YOU'RE RIGHT, YOU'RE RIGHT!!!  Thank you for correcting the error of my ways.  Heck, I'm only 53, I'm still just a "dumb kid". ;D

Hey, I hear spring crow tastes pretty good. ;D   I stand corrected and that's OK by me.  After seeing the way the voting was goin' earlier I began to realize that asking H&R to carry both was a better option.  Thanks carbineman.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
While were wishing and deraming here, let's ask for a 16ga tracker1. That would definitley be a must have.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »
I agree.  I have been thinking of that, too.  Its not high on my list, but it IS on my list of projects.
 ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Jack Pine Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »
I was planning on getting a Tracker 1 in 12ga and 20ga fitted to my gun, but I also think they should continue to offer the Tracker 11 barrels also. Versatility and options is one of the reasons folks buy these guns.

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 10:59:12 PM »
Come to think of it, I am a fan of the 16ga.-have been all my life. And a Tracker I in 16ga. would be nice,with a rifled special edition 16 ga. offered, although I know that won't happen. Hunman55

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 03:07:34 AM »
Cookieman, Glad to hear that you agree. Hey, The more the merrier! Never could understand the production end of things at hr1871.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 03:52:48 AM »
That 16 gauge Tracker I is a great idea for sure. I at first voted for the Tracker I unrifled but now after thinking more about it I would make more sense they offer both the Tracker I's and II's, and also introduce a 16 gauge Tracker I as well. Since there are no currently manufactuered 16 gauge sabotted slugs that I know of a 16 guage Tracker II would not be necessary nor usable at this time....<><.... :)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
I disagree, MSP-Ret. I don't shoot the sabots because: Yes, they are costly and second, because I want to shoot the full caliber of the slug, i.e. foster or brenneke. But they do lead the barrel-I'll grant you that. You could handload and use lube-anybody tried that? I still would want to try a 16ga. rifled slug gun in a Tracker. This is all a moot point, but good for discussion and debate only, because it won't happen. First time I've ever disagreed with you, old buddy. Archie-Hunman55

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »
Thats fine Archie, difference of opinions makes for good discussions. if I happen to find a 16 gauge
rifled H&R barrel with iron sights I'll be sure you are the first I tell about it....<><.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 02:06:37 PM »
MSP wrote:
Since there are no currently manufactuered 16 gauge sabotted slugs that I know of a 16 guage Tracker II would not be necessary nor usable at this time....<><....   

Lightfield is the only one I know of:
http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfield/ecatalog/index.cfm?pageid=104&id=2&cfid=11737923&cftoken=90047821
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 02:16:05 PM »
Thnaks for that info MI.sabot, I was unaware anyone made them.
Now I have to find a 16 gauge rifled barrel for my Handi!!!....<><....  ??? ::) ;D

Offline Terrible Tom

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »
I vote BOTH.

I'm no manufacturing genius, but I can't see why H&R would discontinue anything if the demand were sufficient to justify the retooling expense.  In this case, I'd imagine that the retooling expense would be pretty minimal.

I called and asked about the Tracker I several weeks ago and was told it was no longer available.  After asking here and getting a part # for the 20ga Tracker I, I called a second time...

Me: "Hi, I have an old order form and the barrel I want is no longer listed on your website.  Is part #xxx still available?"
Customer Service Rep:  "Sure, got lots of 'em"
Me: "Thanks!"

I filled out the order form and mailed in my receiver & forearm that day.

So far, I haven't been contacted with any bad news.  I haven't called to ask about the status of my order.  I'm presuming that no news is good news in this case.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 07:56:22 PM »
I vote BOTH.

I'm no manufacturing genius, but I can't see why H&R would discontinue anything if the demand were sufficient to justify the retooling expense.  In this case, I'd imagine that the retooling expense would be pretty minimal.

I called and asked about the Tracker I several weeks ago and was told it was no longer available.  After asking here and getting a part # for the 20ga Tracker I, I called a second time...

Me: "Hi, I have an old order form and the barrel I want is no longer listed on your website.  Is part #xxx still available?"
Customer Service Rep:  "Sure, got lots of 'em"
Me: "Thanks!"

I filled out the order form and mailed in my receiver & forearm that day.

So far, I haven't been contacted with any bad news.  I haven't called to ask about the status of my order.  I'm presuming that no news is good news in this case.

Tom,

I e-mailed H&R on tuesday about both of the Tracker 1 barrels, haven't heard a word. :( I am looking to send in one or two of my receivers for some barrels if they happen to find any and answer my e-mail. I am also looking to get a Cinnimon lam straight stock and matching forend for my huntsman.

I am thinking if they at least made the pardner choked barrels available with rifle sights, then it could be a Buck & Tom Special with just the change of a choke tube. A guy could shoot saboted slugs through a rifled tube (Browning did make a nice extended one), screw in a IC or MOD choke for rifled Foster Slugs, then screw in a extended turkey tube for Gobblers. A very practical solution, and I am sure they would sell TONS of those barrels.

I hope they do have "lots of 'em" cause I want at least one of each.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 11:31:34 PM »
I just started a new thread with a question aabout the Rifled Choke Tubes.  I have seen those, too and always wondered if they really work.  Would be nice to know if its worth the money spent, if there is performance to be gained, in both range and accuracy over using a rifled slug in a smooth bore. 
Busta, I would be interested in knowing if H&R does in fact answer your email and says they still have stock in Tracker I barrels.  Be sure to post it and let us know.  Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"