Author Topic: Fred Thompson considers run in 2008  (Read 675 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Fred Thompson considers run in 2008
« on: March 11, 2007, 07:07:26 PM »
WASHINGTON - Fred Thompson thinks there isn't enough "star" power in the GOP presidential field, so the professional actor and former Tennessee senator is considering getting into the 2008 race.

ADVERTISEMENT

Thompson, who plays district attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's drama "Law & Order," said Sunday that he's going to "leave the door open" and make a decision in the coming months.

"I'm going to wait and see what happens," Thompson said. "I want to see my colleagues on the campaign trial, what they say, what they emphasize, whether they can carry the ball next November."

"I think people are somewhat disillusioned. A lot of people are cynical out there. They're looking for something different," he said.

Thompson, 64, said he was pondering a run after former Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker and other Tennessee Republicans began drumming up support for his possible GOP candidacy, citing his conservative credentials.

On the issues, Thompson said he:

_Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973        Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science."

_Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and judges shouldn't be allowed to change that."

_Opposes gun control, and praised last week's 2-1 federal appeals decision overturning a long-standing handgun ban. "The court basically said the Constitution means what it says."

_Supports        President Bush's decision to increase troops in        Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify them. I think we are doing that now," he said. "We've got to give it a chance to work."

_Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted.

Libby is "bearing the political brunt of something that should've never come about," Thompson said, noting that "practically every witness at trial had inconsistent statements."

Thompson said he was not setting a deadline to make a decision and believes he won't be at a disadvantage if he waited until summer. "The lay of the land will be different in a couple of months than it is today, one way or another," he said.

Thompson, the minority counsel in the Watergate investigation, was elected to the Senate in 1994 to fill the unexpired term of Vice President        Al Gore. He was chairman of the        Senate Governmental Affairs Committee and left the Senate in 2003 to resume his acting career.

Thompson has acted in films such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Cape Fear," and "In the Line of Fire." He was interviewed on "Fox News Sunday."

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Fred Thompson considers run in 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 08:36:28 PM »
I hope he does. He is very well spoken, his stance on the issues is right-on in my opinion. Unfortunately, most of the leading Republicans right now have either flip-floped on issues, or are more liberal then the voter base It seems like he is plain spoken, to the point, and is not afraid to speak his mind. Maybe a Ronald Reagan for this era??

Offline magooch

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 03:22:24 AM »
We can only hope that Fred jumps in with both feet and he'd better not take his time about it.  The way this thing is moving, it's going to be wrapped up before we know what happened and those who dally around are going to miss the boat.

I have to say that Fred Thompson looks like the kind of person who could really do right by the office.  He would be an imposing figure for sure.  Put him on a stage with anyone the Dumbycrats can dig up and it would be something I'd pay to see.
Swingem

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 07:17:20 AM »
My nephew interned for him in his Tenn. office and speaks highly of him. I've seen what he has done in the Senate and would vote for him in a heartbeat. He seems to be a genuine good guy conservative. I was wishing he would run about a month ago in a discussion with some friends. Maybe my wish will come true.
Dave375HH

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:25:41 AM »
Can't honestly say I've ever heard of him. BUT Law and Order is one of the most blatantly ANTIGUN shows on the air so anyone associated with it I'd assume to be antigun regardless of what he says publicly. Politicians LIE. These days that seems to be about all the do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 07:59:09 AM »
+1 on the Law and Order comment.

I've seen a few episodes that may as well have been Brady campaign propaganda pieces.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 08:25:03 AM »
He is pro gun GB, yea politicians lie but them it seems most folks do even the little white ones if it suits their purpose.  ::)  Of course the program is anti gun most hollyweird is, you cannot label him guilty by association the man has to work. Even some of Tom Selleck's work other than his westerns that he had control over were iffy on the gun issue, and we know how pro gun he is. He seems the most consrvative so far that i would vote for  as McCain and Rudy are dems in Rep clothing.  >:(

Here is Thompsons voting record on gun control issues while in office looks pro gun to me.

Voted NO on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)
Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks. (Jul 1998)

Check out this website:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Fred_Thompson.htm
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 09:57:12 AM »
Personally, I was glad to hear Mr. Thompson is considering and I hope he follows through.  There's not a single current Republican candidate that would get my vote.  McCain wants to play both sides of the isle and therefore comes accross a bit confused, and I will concur that Rudy is a Dem.  Mit Romney seems to change his views as the audience changes.

I think Fred is the real deal.  Here's hoping he'll run! 

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 12:40:04 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think he's a life-time member of the NRA. I know that he liked to drive his truck to work in Wash. DC, instead of taking a limo. like most politicians. ;)
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »
I'm glad to hear this. From what I've heard from him he seems to be a pretty straight shooter. And he is much better than any of the other candidates that are jumping in on the repub side so far.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »
Ditto on Fred Thompson being a straight shooter.  I'm impressed every time I hear him speak.  He reminds me of Ronald Reagan.  I hope that he decides to run.   If you are interested, you may want to visit http://draftfredthompson.com/ and sign the petition or go directly to: 

http://www.petitiononline.com/FDT_08/petition.html