Author Topic: Problem with new 12ga Pardner  (Read 731 times)

Offline hrminer92

• Trade Count: (0)
Problem with new 12ga Pardner
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »
I got a 12ga Pardner over the weekend and I took it out to the range on Sunday to do some trap shooting with my son.  On the first few shots, the gun was opening up without me pressing the release  lever.  This seemed to stop happening after about a 1/2 box of shells and I didn't have any  problems with it after that.

Is this normal with this model?  Any ideas on what would be causing this and what made it stop?   I made sure that it was closed securely and it wouldn't wiggle or move at all if I tugged on the forestock.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Re: Problem with new 12ga Pardner
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 08:58:20 PM »
hrminer92 I also picked up a Pardner over the weekend but have yet to fire it. I'm fairly new to the NEF scene and this is my second so I can't offer any sound advice but I do recall one other gent having the same problem and he was given a ton of advice within 24 hrs.

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 08:49:09 AM »
When you load the gun and close it up, make sure that you are closing it FIRMLY. These guns are pretty stiff when brand new.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »
The Pardners and Toppers are fine shotguns.  However :-[ They do have a major problem, in that they are usually in need of a very good CLEANING right out of the box.  Lots of residue from machining and all that. 
I ALWAYS remove the barrel and stocks and spray the inside of the receiver down with Brake Parts Cleaner, then blow it out with compressed air.  Same procedure for the barrel lug.  After the receiver is all dry, then I spray just a bit of DRY LUBE on the mechanism and re-assemble everthing.  I have never had one pop open when I clean it up like this.  I also do a good cleaning on the inside of the barrel and if it looks nice and shiny then I'm done.
This is just my procedure.  I haven't burnished the bore on one, yet, but that is supposed to help get better patterns.  I have had to de-burr the inside of the muzzle where the bead hole was D&T'd and left a little burr on the edge of the hole.  This was a technical procedure that required my pocket knife and a gentle touch. ;D

This the way I do it.  Others have different procedures, doesn't really matter as long as you get the receiver clean and use a dri-lube on it.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline hrminer92

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:31:39 PM »
any particular type or brand of dry lube that you recommend?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 11:38:59 PM »
I use Remmington, mostly because I have a hard time finding TriFlo.  But, I lot of the guys use Tri Flo.  Be sure to let it dry then I spray the action down again with compressed air to make sure there is no oily residue from the arosol propellant left in the receiver.  I have had no problems doing it this way.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"