Author Topic: Texas Governor Orders Vaccinations  (Read 2200 times)

TM7

Texas Governor Orders Vaccinations
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »
Incredible....in Texas no less,,,maybe Masschusetts but Texas?   6th grade schoolgirls are 'ordered' to take Merck & Company's cervical cancer vaccine. How do you view this?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250019,00.html

.....TM7 

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Texas Governor Orders Vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:00:17 PM »
I don't have any problem with education of parents and cervical cancer is a health issue. I do have a problem with mandates. This issue would be better addressed with an awareness letter to parents that suggests a preventive measure is available. I darn near lost a close friend to cervical cancer last year. She is better now but still not out of the woods.

I went to school in the 40's, 50's and well remember many of my classmates who suffered from polio. When the Salk-Sabine serum became available, it didn't take a mandate to administer it. Most parents saw the advantage, I remember taking my sugar cube. It was not a mandate but rather an education process.

Just my dos centavos.

Bill

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:06:15 PM »
 I don't like mandates either ! Voluntary is another thing...

If the primary schools wanted to perform a good service, they should inform the girls about the genuine danger involved and of the availability of the vaccine.

Moreover, they should explain how it is best not to engage in practices that can put them in danger.

The one program that would help greatly in avoiding the spread of cervical cancer, AIDS, herpes and many other STDs is often shouted down when some parents would like the program to be taught, even as an elective !

A young person that practices abstinence almost NEVER contracts any of these maladies...

Instead; many of our schools prefer to hand out condoms & other forms of " birth control", actually encouraging students to "participate".

They wouldn't need to hand out so many birth control devices..if they were to be taught self-control devices !

Today, we see a rash of student-teacher sexual affairs, especially between female teachers and male minors.

.....And due to some lame-brained jurors..the child molester often walks...

Perhaps these teachers were some of those that shouted down any abstinence program...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 02:27:20 PM »
  I hate to see madates also in most cases. But vacinations is another thing. Will you firsthand have saw the effects of these diseases on people.

You can still use the religious out on vacinations if you want to avoid having your kids vacinated. My ex wife tried to not have my kids vacinated when they are young.( I am a christian also but haven't seen a prohibition on vacination in the 10 commandments) Being at the time I had joint legal custody of our kids i took them to my local doctor and had them vaccinated.

The only reason they have to mandate these vacinations is to protect the kids from thier own parents stupidity.

When is the last time anyone here has seen someone with measles, mumps,or smallpox? There can be rare complications to a vacination but for every person sickened or killed by the vacination, there would be hundreds of thousands of people sickened or killed by the diseases.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »

The only reason they have to mandate these vacinations is to protect the kids from thier own parents stupidity.

Agreed.  It's also important to note that the general public pays a huge percentage of the medical bills in this country.  Much like seatbelt laws and no smoking laws, if we as a general public need to pay to medicare, medicaid, and subsidized insurance, we have an interest in avoiding expensive health problems like cervical cancer. 

I did think it was interesting that this came out of texas though, and outside of the legislative session. 

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »
IRONGLOW, BILLY. Well said sirs. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 06:11:52 PM »
There can be rare complications to a vacination but for every person sickened or killed by the vacination, there would be hundreds of thousands of people sickened or killed by the diseases.

If it is your kid it isnt rare enough. Until recently I didnt know that some of these vaccinations have or had mercury in them. They are  suspect of the rise in childhood autism.

That said I think it should be the parent who makes the decision. If they want to offer a vaccination that is fine but don't hide the information from us parents that like to make informed decisions. I, like a good parent, took my doctors advice and had my son vaccinated. I thought what parent in their right mind would not do this?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/09/autism.vaccine.reut/index.html
Scientists say it is possible that if it got into the brain, thimerosal could cause brain damage. Although it is no longer found in childhood vaccines in the United States, it remains in the influenza vaccine and in vaccines in other countries.

http://www.know-vaccines.org/autism.html

Also read this. This is what I gave to my son. Suddenly I dont feel as good about my decision.

http://www.know-vaccines.org/faq.html#3

The only reason they have to mandate these vacinations is to protect the kids from thier own parents stupidity

Maybe the government should come and take all my guns away just so I cant ever hurt myself because I do something stupid.  I am sorry but I don't feel the need for the government to protect me from myself. The last vaccination I had for my son he was sick for three days. You know the sad part, I drove him to the doctors office and held him down so the doctor could inject something into him that made him sick so hopefully he could be vaccinated against something he will probably never come into contact with.

I hear of drug companies being sued all the time because of side effects they didn't know about or they thought was an acceptable risk. As I said before if it is your child it is one too many.

http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/article.php?id=18

They say rarely is less than 1 in 1000. Pretty good odds if you are the 999. If your child is the 1 who gets to have febrile convulsions those odds stink.
...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 06:59:58 AM »
I'm not bothered by this "mandate".  You have the option, as a parent, to decline the vaccine for your daughter.  I believe people are naive when it comes to today's kids.  Yes, there are parents such as ourselves that have good communication and are involved with our kids.  However, there are far more parents that don't have a clue about what is going on with their kids.  Kids as much as we would like are probably not going to practice abstinence - some will, but not the majority.  The way I see it, if you have an opportunity to save your daughter the pain and mysery of cervical cancer wouldn't you do it?  My daughter is 14 so she is outside of the mandate window, but my wife and I have discussed this extensively.  We will probably go through with it. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 07:28:16 AM »
  "Mandates" are legislated by elected representatives..who author and vote them onto other people. Sometime these "big brother figures" screw up...and people suffer...( remember Jimmy Carter's swine flu shots)  !

When these people are suffering or in great financial hardship because of the effects of these "mandated" vaccinations..how many of these big brother guys that forced them upon folks show up at the hospital bed...or are seen at the front desk, paying all or part of the bill ?

I would much rather see informed choice...than an enforced mandate.

I like Will, went to school in the 40s and 50s when polio was raging. I lived on the outskirts of a small town of about 2500 people and it would seem that one would hear about every other week of a child sick or dying from it. Since it almost always hit the very young, it was originally called "infantile paralysis".
   Theories as to cause were all over the map... don't do this or don't do that..I remember not being allowed to swim during the hottest,  "dog days" of summer.

As I said, we did hear about others being struck with this disease...then one day, it came to our house...the summer of '44 , both my little brother and myself were struck. I was 8 and my brother was 4 yrs old...

We began to feel ill on Saturday afternoon/evening..by Sunday morning, I was feeling better and on the mend..my little brother got worse, was taken to the hospital and by Monday morning ..he was dead..

Still, informed choice should be the way of free societies inasmuch as we can do it !

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:08:50 AM »
I agree with informed choice. They can start by telling us what the vaccine is made of. It is funny that on a box of twinkies there is an ingredient list but it is hard to find the ingredients of the stuff we inject our kids with.

For example: Did you know that two recommended childhood vaccinations are made using aborted babies?

http://www.eadshome.com/vaccines.htm

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 01:51:36 PM »
I think the shots are a good idea and would suggest my granddaughters get it too.  But, having the government tell them they must have it for a personal illness is wrong.  Yes, it's somewhat different when it's a contagious thing that will affect others. 

Of course, the government wants force us to take the injections but they don't want to protect the companies who make the drugs!  It puzzles me that the makers would expose themselves to the excessive costs.  John Edwards got filty rich sueing medical people for doing the best they could under the circumstances but  he protrayed them as heartless criminals to get a bundle for the "victim".  Of course he took half of what was awarded the poor victim so they got victimized again but who's counting that little fact.  And the cost of medicine and health insurance continues to climb....

When the government uses the power of its guns to make us do anything "for our own good", I get angry.  And the blue-suit gun IS the basis of government power my friends.  That  kind of "benevolent" government isn't the one I served in the military for.

One step at a time, one liberty, and one dollar at a time, our elected politicians are moving us towards being a dominated herd of serfs.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 02:22:38 PM »
Another blow to individual liberty.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »
Seems Gov. Rick Perry has ties to Merck so his motivation may not all be humanitarian in nature.  How much do we really know about this vaccine?  What are the possible side effects?   Some 55 years ago woman with a high risk of having a miscarriage were given a medication to lesson that risk.  Years later it terned out that females born to these woman are at a much higher risk of uterine cancer.   Before the government sets any blanket mandate on this kind of thing we need to know a lot more about it IMHO.

http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/Non-f_ood_Things_27/020203452007_Perry_s_vaccine_order_saves_lives_but_at_high_price.shtml

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline sparsons

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »
Twenty some years ago I was selling insurance. One of my customers asked me for a parent and child policy. I explained she already had one. She then said for her daughter, at the time 13 years of age. I again said she is covered on your policy. "No" came the reply "I mean she needs one for HER daughter".  Seems her 13 year old daughter had given birth, like her mother before her  who gave her birth at age 13. That would take us back 30 years so do any of you really think it has gotten any better. Kids are having sex at a very early age and it is not the exception to the rule. I have no trouble with the vaccine. Truthfully we should not have to go down that path. Today with cable tv and the internet coupled with laws that tend to hinder the parent's control over the child we are left with little choice if we truely want to face reality. From what I understand sex has been around for years and if you think your school age children haven't learned or heard something about it you better wake up.  These people just didn't set around one day and decide to come up with the vaccine--there is a problem and they know it. Question is how many parents are aware of the problem!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:04:58 PM »
I think this and several other moves that Gov. Perry has made is about to result to an eye poke by several of the Republican Legislatures, one (R) from my area said she is not ion favor of the vaccination, not in favor of the NAFTA Super Highway, or in favor of selling the Texas Lottery to the highest bidder. 

I like some of the things Perry has done on border issues, but other than that he leaves a lot to be desired.  With the gay label placed on him before election, I am surprised that he was re-elected, but then again, this is 2007, and things have changed a lot over the years.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 04:05:41 PM »
I think this and several other moves that Gov. Perry has made is about to result to an eye poke by several of the Republican Legislatures, one (R) from my area said she is not ion favor of the vaccination, not in favor of the NAFTA Super Highway, or in favor of selling the Texas Lottery to the highest bidder.  

I like some of the things Perry has done on border issues, but other than that he leaves a lot to be desired.  With the gay label placed on him before election, I am surprised that he was re-elected, but then again, this is 2007, and things have changed a lot over the years.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 05:31:15 AM »
TM7, I don't know that the rumor is true, there were several web sites on the net that accused him of being gay, but this may have been an attempted smear tactic by the dumbocraps.

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 10:04:58 AM »
I believe in as little government interference in the decision making process of the American people as possible.  Immunization is an exception in my opinion.  Eradication of a plague is a noble endeavor that needs cooperation of everyone.  Cervical cancer aside, HPV is a common denominator in a vast majority of the cases of penile cancer.  There are certain things that the average person just isn't responsible enough to make the decision on, and immunization is one of those.  To take it a step farther, if it were enforceable, I think people that do not finish their regimen of antibiotics should face punishment.  The "superbugs" are the fault of those that don't follow simple doctors orders.

WylieKy     
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »
So who is responsible enough? Our doctors?

America's healthcare-system-induced deaths are the third leading cause of the death in the U.S., after heart disease and cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iatrogenesis

Matt

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 02:24:31 AM »
Pills wrote "I hear of drug companies being sued all the time..." and so are gun makers. That's because there are lawyers, not because there are good reasons for lawsuits.

He also wrote"Did you know that two recommended childhood vaccinations are made using aborted babies?" No, I haven't heard that particular myth, but it is typical of the c#%p that floats around on the web, especially on controversial topics. Some of the most shameless lies are told (or unthinkingly retold) by people who are supposedly motivated by their religious beliefs. Much of the Y2K scare was spread by fundamentalist preachers who hoped for the end of the world, so they could be proven right.

The connection of thimerosol to autism has never been established. The rise in autism is at least in part due to better recognition of the symptoms. Its cause is as likely to be a deficiency in utero as a toxin in vaccinations. The importance of B vitamins in neural development is only recently being stressed.

Abstinance is a nice concept, good for physical but maybe not mental health. There have been suggestions that part of the psychological problem with suicide bombers is sexual frustration. And anyone who thinks you can stop sexual activity by education is living in a dream world. The best we can do is teach kids what happens and why, and how to avoid the physical consequences of pregnancy and disease. As a surgical tech, I deal with the consequences of cervical cancer. The lucky ones get away with a hysterectomy. Of course, a 25-year-old might not consider that "lucky".

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 03:25:44 AM »
Gun makers don't recall their products like drug companies. Ever listen to the list of side effects on these drug commercials? I laugh at them and think man the side effect is worse than the original problem... :o

Can't believe you haven't heard this "myth". Well I don't know that I would ever be able to convince you of it with out giving web links. If you find one that contradicts it please by all means let me know. I am doing my best to be an informed parent. With all the resources of a surgical tech I am sure you can come up with information and sources that refute the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/concerns/gen/humancell.htm

CDC is aware that some, but not all, vaccines are made from human cell-line cultures, and some of these cell lines originated from aborted fetal tissue, obtained from legal abortions in the 1960's.  No new fetal tissue is needed to produce cell lines to make these vaccines, now or in the future.  Fetal tissue is not used to produce vaccines; cell lines generated from a single fetal tissue source are used--vaccine manufacturers obtain human cell lines from FDA-certified cell banks.

Having worked in the IT industry I would say Y2k had more to do with outdated code than religious zealots but hey what do I know, I am a religious zealot too.

Matt

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 04:01:46 AM »
Interesting article.  Thanks for sharing.

Of course things are on hold right now since the executive order has been rescinded.  Apparently Gov. Perry was in the middle east when this happened.  I think he took a wrong turn leaving the governor's mansion - what the heck is doing over there??   ???