Author Topic: Which 10 gauge?  (Read 486 times)

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Which 10 gauge?
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:32:26 AM »
I am considering buying a 10 gauge shotgun for turkey hunting, and possibly waterfowl.

However, I can't decide which would be the most suitable...the PardnerŪ Turkey Gun (with Camo) with a 24" Extra-Full choke barrel, or the PardnerŪ Waterfowl Camo with a 32" Modified choke.

I'm not sure if the longer barrel on the Waterfowl gun will provide tight groups for comparitively close turkey hunting, or if the shorter barrel with the extra-full choke will provide decent long range groups for waterfowl.

Any ideas?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Which 10 gauge?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
Buy both! If I had to choose 1 it would be the 24" since it comes threaded for choke tubes. It won't swing as nice for wing shooting but the pattern won't be a problem.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »
My answer is basically the same as Markus'. Buy both, I did. Kind of, I bought the Waterfowl Special and sent the frame back to the factory to be fitted with the shorter Turkey barrel.

Here was my reasoning, the Waterfowl Special with it's 32 inch barrel and Mod choke was MADE for big geese needing big loads of steel shot! The 24 inch barrel with choke tubes was made for turkeys. The shorter tube of the turkey barrel is better for woods type hunting while the 32 inch tube of the waterfowl gun works great for field/blind hunting geese. Added benefit, the turkey barrel has removable chokes so you can find a load and choke combo that fits your hunting situation.

Hope this helps.

Nixter

PS, a quick search of this forum will yeild a pic of a goose hammered by my Waterfowl Special. If you can't find it, I'll re-post it.

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:41:20 PM »
You know, that's a great idea!

I wonder if I, or my FFL, could contact H&R and order the gun with the extra barrel, straight from the factory?  Then it'd come as a set and I'd get them at the same time.

If not, I could order one, and then send the reciever back like you did.

I don't know why I didn't think about that before.....