Author Topic: PMC +P+ in 45/70 Handi?  (Read 900 times)

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
PMC +P+ in 45/70 Handi?
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:07:54 PM »

Searched, but my Google-fu failed me.  This ammo (PMC +P+, 350gr, in 45/70) has written in big letters all over it that it should only be used in modern 1895 leverguns, Ruger #1, etc.  What does that mean with respect to my new 45/70 Handi?

At $13 per box of 20 (on sale), it is very tempting. That's about what the brass and first loading is going to cost me (if I could find brass locally!).  This local shop also has the Leverevolution in 45/70 for $25.

Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: PMC +P+ in 45/70 Handi?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »
Better buy all you can, PMC went out of business last year, their .45-70 ammo was discontinued well before they closed their shop, it's loaded to levergun levels, shoots just fine in a Handi, I still have part of a box left, but started handloading, the load can easily be duplicated. ;)

Buffalo Bore loads their ammo even hotter, and it's safe in a Handi.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#4570

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:56:45 AM »
hey tim , i got one for ya on PMC goin out of biz , down to my local dealer last weekend  ,hes got new pmc  handgun ammo in , he says they never went out  they  just reorganized, hes able to order limited rifle also, he wentto a dealers convention in feb and they  told him they would be fully back by june

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 01:32:38 AM »
OK Shaner, thats good info, I hope it holds to be true, thanks for sharing....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline djw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:06 AM »
it's loaded to levergun levels, shoots just fine in a Handi, I still have part of a box left, but started handloading, the load can easily be duplicated. ;)
Tim

Thanks, Tim.  I'll go back and scoop some up.
Don

edit: p.s. I reviewed my math on this ammo vs. reloading, and unless I'm using lead bullets, this "on sale" ammo is a tremendous buy.  5 boxes for $65.  100 jacketed bullets is going to run $40 minimum, + $15 for powder, + a couple bucks for primers, + the $50 for brass the first time around.  I'm running back to buy it.  How good is the quality of the PMC brass for reloading?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 05:26:23 AM »
hey tim , i got one for ya on PMC goin out of biz , down to my local dealer last weekend  ,hes got new pmc  handgun ammo in , he says they never went out  they  just reorganized, hes able to order limited rifle also, he wentto a dealers convention in feb and they  told him they would be fully back by june

Going bankrupt and selling all their assets to Jamison International isn't what I'd call "reorganizing", I'd be more inclined to believe the handgun ammo is left over from old stock that was sold when they closed their doors in Nevada. ;)

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2006/10/25/news/business/news674.txt

If PMC ammo was still being made, Midway would have it listed, but it's not even in the Mfr list!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brandbrowse

And major distributors like Impact would have it listed.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/pmc.html

Those that do list it, have only limited stock on hand, most is out of stock. :'(

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=10480_14658_14659_14715

Tim

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »
well i dont know all the fact just what he told me , cause he knew i liked PMC  and  he said well u will  be happy they are startin to ship it again? heres what i got  its the first he got in

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
Give em a call and see what they say, things change. ;) Although their web site is somewhat moribund, it was last updated in 2005, it leaves me to believe the dealer is mistaken.  :-\

Tim

http://www.pmcammo.com/contact.php

(800) 456-9182

Offline bambis nightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:27:47 AM »
Do you mean the "Silver Series" 45-70 350 grainers?  I got a box when I first got my Handi and really liked them.  I remember emailing PMC and the customer service reply was not to shoot them in my Handi.  I later learned that Handi's were rated at 40,000 or so and the PMC's were at 37,000.  They still have one box left, but I like the Hornady Lever Evolutions better.

Offline djw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 10:23:16 AM »

bn,
If you were talking to me: I'll have to look tonight and see if it's silver series; I know it's +P+.  What did you mean by "They still have one box left"?
Don

Offline fknipfer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 06:56:09 AM »
If Buffalo Bore, and Garret both say their ammo is safe to fire in the Handi's and BC's,  I think it would be safe to use the PMC's in the same guns.  I have fired in my 45-70 1895 Marlin but I haven't shot any yet in BC.  I have about 14 boxes I bought up when I heard they were going out of business so I am plumb loaded up for a while.

fknipfer
Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 07:47:11 AM »
As I've said before, the PMC ammo is loaded lighter than Buffalo Bore ammo which is safe in the Handi. I've shot the PMC Silver 350gr ammo in my 22" Handi, it's very accurate, 200yd groups were less than 3", zeroed 4" high at 100yds, it was 6-8" low at 200yds. ;)

Tim

Offline bambis nightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 05:48:41 AM »
DJW, I meant that the ammo has been discontinued.  Like someone said, its easily duplicated by reloading, but since I am unable to get more, I just shoot the Hornady's when shooting factory loads.

Offline djw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 07:04:59 AM »

bn,
Oh, okay, gotcha.
I went ahead and bought the ten boxes that the local shop was clearing out. That oughta be a good start! ;D
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 07:13:07 AM »