Author Topic: NRA wins one for us & US.  (Read 855 times)

Offline thxmrgarand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
NRA wins one for us & US.
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »
Most people have probably heard by now of the DC federal court ruling (see below from NRA).  The NRA website has the entire ruling.  My belief is that this affirms the need for gunowners to be involved; it makes a difference who is elected and who appoints the judges.  Further analysis may persuade me otherwise but I think we are in good shape for this going to the US Supreme Court.  I will be sending another check to the NRA's ILA.

Fairfax, VA- The District of Columbia Circuit Court today affirmed that the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an inherent, individual right to bear arms. Today’s ruling should have a positive impact on the current D.C. gun ban, the National Rifle Association is fighting to overcome.

The majority opinion of the court states, "[T]he phrase 'the right of the people,' when read intratextually and in light of Supreme Court precedent, leads us to conclude that the right in question is individual." The majority opinion sums up its holding on this point as follows:  The D.C. Circuit Court went further in upholding individual freedoms, rejecting the claim that the Second Amendment does not apply to the District because it is not a State.

The D.C. City Council is expected to appeal the ruling.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Re: NRA wins one for us & US.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »
can you cite the case so i can read the whole thing?

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 06:10:02 AM »
There is a button on the NRA website story of this court ruling that shows the majority opinion - 75 pages.  The first page is (of course) the cite you need.  I tried to copy the button here but it didn't work for some reason no doubt related to the operator.

Possibly this matter will be a major battle in the public arena due to the timing with the 2008 elections even if this turns out to be quiet from a US Supreme Court standpoint.  I hope gun clubs decide to have fundraisers to help the NRA here.

Gunowners could win big here.    However over the weekend some of the major television networks tied this federal court ruling to different police organizations talking about growth in violent crime.  One of the violent crime examples was done with a knife, and in all examples the outcome would likely have been much different if the victim had been armed but mainstream media and Hollywood are not about to show that level of insight.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 07:53:56 AM »

D.C.'s Ban On Handguns In Homes Is Thrown Out

A federal appeals court ruled yesterday that the District's longtime ban on keeping handguns in homes is unconstitutional. The 2 to 1 decision by an appellate panel outraged D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and other city leaders, who said that they will appeal and that gun-related crimes could rise if the ruling takes effect. The outcome elated opponents of strict gun controls because it knocked down one of the toughest laws in the country and vindicated their interpretation of the U.S. Constitution's language on the right to bear arms.

Read About It: WashingtonPost.com

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=9047
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 08:08:15 AM »
I found the link and now I have a hard copy.  I'll read it this evening when I get some time.  Any lawyer will tell you not to trust media interpretation of a legal ruling.

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
TX Solicitor Gen in Wall Street J today
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 05:38:18 AM »
Second Amendment Showdown
By TED CRUZ
March 14, 2007; Page A14

Last week's decision, striking down the District of Columbia's ban on guns as unconstitutional under the Second Amendment, flowed directly from the text, history and original understanding of the Constitution. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit's decision rejected the Ninth Circuit's "collective rights" theory and embraced instead the Fifth Circuit's holding that the Second Amendment protects individual rights. In so doing, the D.C. Circuit took a major step forward in protecting the rights of gun owners throughout the country.

In some ways, the decision should not be at all noteworthy or surprising. After all, the text of the Second Amendment explicitly protects "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms," and the D.C. gun ban amounted to a complete and total prohibition on citizens owning operational firearms in the District of Columbia. The challenged city ordinances prohibit the private possession of all handguns and also require that all long guns (i.e., rifles and shotguns) be disassembled or have trigger locks in place at all times. This latter requirement has no exceptions -- so that even if a violent crime is underway in your home, removing the trigger lock in self-defense or in defense of your family constitutes a crime.

No state in the union has a prohibition as draconian. Indeed, the constitutions of 44 states, like the federal Constitution, explicitly protect the individual right to keep and bear arms, and the legislatures of all 50 states are united in their rejection of bans on private handgun ownership. Forty-five states go even further, allowing private citizens to carry concealed handguns for self-defense.

So how is it that the District of Columbia could be so out of step with the rest of the nation and nonetheless arguably comply with the requirements of the Second Amendment? The answer that the federal district court seized upon -- like an earlier ruling from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in California -- is a theory popularized recently by several law professors and gun-control advocates: Because the Second Amendment refers to "a well regulated Militia," the Constitution protects only the "collective right" of the militia and not the individual right of any citizen.

This creative theory, useful for advancing the policy goals of its advocates, runs contrary to the text of the Constitution, to the debates and original understanding of the Framers, to Supreme Court precedent, and to the widespread understanding of state courts and legislatures for the first 150 years of our nation's history. At the time of the founding, the "militia" was understood to consist of all able-bodied males armed with their own weapons; indeed, the Militia Act of 1792 not only permitted individual gun ownership, it required every man to "provide himself with a good musket or firelock . . . or with a good rifle."

If the "collective rights" theory were to prevail, the result would be that no individual in the U.S. could ever claim any right under the Second Amendment, but rather that inchoate right would exist only collectively and amorphously for state militias. Such an outcome effectively reads out of the Constitution what respected law professor Sanford Levinson famously described as, from the perspective of anti-gun advocates, that "embarrassing Second Amendment."

Because the "collective rights" theory is unfaithful to the Constitution and undermines the individual rights of all Americans, Texas took the lead among the states in supporting the plaintiffs in the D.C. gun suit. Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott assembled a collation of 13 states (Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Utah and Wyoming) who together supported the Second Amendment, and the amici states presented oral argument in the D.C. Circuit in the companion case to this one defending the individual right to keep and bear arms.

Notably, every state, including Texas, believes that some regulations on firearms are both permissible and advisable; for example, the states are united in supporting restrictions on violent felons owning guns. But all of the amici states are likewise united in the belief that the Second Amendment means what it says, that the individual right to keep and bear arms cannot be completely abrogated as under the D.C. gun ban.

The District of Columbia has pledged to appeal, and this case could well find its way before the U.S. Supreme Court. If so, Texas and the rest of the amici states stand ready once again to support the Second Amendment, and we are confident that the Court will in turn faithfully uphold the individual constitutional rights of all Americans.

Mr. Cruz is the solicitor general of Texas. He authored two briefs and presented oral argument for the amici states supporting the Second Amendment in the D.C. Circuit.

Offline Rvito

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »
That is great news! I wish that these stupid Politicians will realize that these anti gun laws don't effect the Criminals but effect the honest Law abiding Citizens in a negitive way....................................................