Author Topic: Looking for help--for a hunt  (Read 1650 times)

Offline theoldarcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Looking for help--for a hunt
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:01:10 AM »
My grandson graduates next spring from high school, and I've promised him a hunt.  We drew a bear tag this fall for Michigan's UP, but his mom and dad aren't real keen on him missing a week of school in his final year, which I understand.  So-o-o, I am looking for something next spring in the way of a fairly inexpensive bear hunt (I know, I know...inexpensive--it's a relative term, and I did add the disclaimer 'fairly'   ;D ).

I had thought about Quebec, but I know absolutely nothing about bear guides/outfiters in that Province--hunted caribou there, but never bears.  Any thoughts, experiences, names, contacts, etc., would be greatly appreciated.  This is something we could do in June after he graduates.

Another alternative might be a pronghorn hunt it we can get in early enough in the summer to clear his start of college.  Again, if anyone has experiences, names, etc., they would share, I would appreciate it.

He shoots a bow, but I think we'll do a rifle hunt if I can come up with something.

Thanks for any and all responses.

God bless, Arch

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Looking for help--for a hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:35:53 AM »
Bear hunts in Maine are less than 1/2 the price of those in Canada generally speaking. We used to have a sponsor who was a Bear Hunt Outfitter but they sold out the business, the new folks chose not to advertise here and I've heard no comments on them good or bad so have no clue about them.

#9 Lake Outfitters is one that has been used by several here and they seemed pleased with their hunts.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wipartimer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:53:01 PM »
Bear season opens , I believe, Aug. 15 in Ontario so you might be able to hunt before school starts. I've had a couple great hunts here: www.rockshuntcamp.com
Mike

How can one truly understand nature without participating?

Offline damascusblade5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 02:51:04 PM »
 Check http://auldreekielodge.com    Great camp
As my good friend William Lee Golden sings"Thank God For Kids"

Offline theoldarcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:36:44 AM »
Hey, Guys, thanks for the replies.  I really appreciate your help.  I found out that my grandson has never fished salt water, although he wades the St. Joe River and fishes the breakwalls along Lake Michigan.  So instead of a hunt at this time, I will be taking him to the Gulf for a week to chase cobia, trout, snapper, and whatever else wants to bite.  We have a three day charter for just the two of us, so that should work out well.

Thanks again for your willingness to share thoughts.

Arch