Author Topic: 243 Problem  (Read 605 times)

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
243 Problem
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:40:42 PM »
Well I got to the range for the first time with the .243 Superlight youth that I bought for my daughter. I think there is a problem....

The gun unlocks when fired! I am sure this has to be a bad thing. Anyway, I would like to know if others have had this problem and what the fix is. I am certain that I was locking the gun up when loading. After I noticed it the first time I thought it may have been me not closing the barrel well enough. I checked the next 3 or 4 shots and it was unlocking after each shot.

I didn't really notice the unlocking at first. I guess I shot about 20 rounds, which were scattered all over the place. Then I noticed the problem, verified it wasn't me and decided to wait until I could correct it to shoot it any more.

BTW, this gun does kick more than I expected. I may have to get a .223 barrel for my daughter to start with and work her way up to the .243

edited to add:  I forgot to mention that I did the google seach thing, but it basically sucks. I didn't find any usable info.

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
Re: 243 Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
Well I found some info in the FAQ section, but not sure how it affects my situation. If my gun shows good latch contact, then what can I do to keep it locked up under recoil?
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »
Follow the instructions in the owner's manual and close it with some force to make sure it's locked up good, when they're new, the latch and latch shelf need to get to know each other, until they mate well, you'll need to close it harder than normal. If it still opens after firing, return it to H&R for repair.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »
Thanks, will do.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »
My Handi 22-250 wanted to open upon firing for a while but eventually it tired of that and stays shut now.  I would do some more shooting with it and I'd bet it comes around.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 09:30:50 AM »
whiskey101

Make sure that the latch assm. is completely dry , No oil or lube of anykind , you may also take a candle amd smoke the latch shelf to check for proper lock-up.

As far as recoil , if you hand load try some of the youth loads from Hodgdon with H4895 , i have been using some for the sisters kids , cuts recoil by about 50% in the 243 . You can reduce their loads up to 60% with this powder .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:37:14 AM »
+1 for the reduced loads from hodgdon, I used the 30-30 load data for my son with a 125 gr bullet. He got his first deer this year, first time first shot. The low recoil does increase their confidence. Good luck & good shooting with the young ones
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 12:34:30 PM »
Thanks guys. I was afraid I got a bad one. I know the latch was very wet with oil. I also doubt that I was closing with enough force to completely secure the latch. I can see the wear mark in the blueing and it looks ok. If the problem continues about another 20 rounds I will smoke the latch and see how much I am getting on contact.

I will try the reduced loads when I get some brass built up.

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »
What round was you using in the superlight? I to have recently got one and have not had a chance to shot her yet.