Author Topic: Pardner w/Screw In Chokes  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Pardner w/Screw In Chokes
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:31:22 AM »
I am looking to get a gun for my youngster and like the Pardner with the screw in choke tubes. However, when I look at their website, I don't see other chokes listed for the 20ga. I'd like to get him a 20 ga, but I would like to know that I can get a full choke for it so he can use it for turkeys and ducks as well as skeet, etc with the modified choke it comes with. Anyone know if you can get other chokes tubes for this gun? Thanks.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Pardner w/Screw In Chokes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 04:34:54 AM »
All 12 and 20 gauge H&R/NEF's that have screw in choke tubes use the Winchoke thread system so any choke that fits that system (Winchecter-Browning-Mossberg) will fit the gun. Any aftermarket choke tube in that thread will work also and I highly recommend gettinag an aftermarket tube, I do not believe the choke tubes given out with these barrels are very good. The info is located in the FAQ's....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 01:01:34 PM »
Good luck finding one. :-[  I haven't seen one anywhere since they came out and the factory only has barrels in the 28",12ga and 26"20ga.  None in the youth 22".

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
Cookieman - Is it only the Pardner with the screw in chokes that are hard to find, or all Pardners? I thought I saw a Pardner a while back (no choke tubes), but thought it would be better with the tubes. How would the regular Pardner be (without choke tubes) for kids first gun? I figured the choke tubes would certainly give him a little more versatility, since I would like him to be able to use if for turkeys as well as clay pigeon shooting. Would the regular pardner handle turkeys?
NRA Life Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 03:47:07 PM »
Leatherstocking and Cookieman,

I had to order my Pardner Youth Model with 22" screw in choke and it was worth every extra penny! For the youngster I will suggest getting the Pardner with screw in choke. In the gun locker I have two 22" Mod. barrels. One is on the daughter's 20 ga. TJC and the other I had fitted to the wifes 243/50 cal combo. I'm seriouly thinking about have them fitted with screw in chokes. Yes the screw in choke guns are very verstile and I wish H&R had produced them along time ago!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:52:29 PM »
A week or so ago, they were out of stock on those barrels at H&R.  I just dropped off my Tracker I barrel tonight for a "Tube Job".  It will cost me $75, but it will have the sights on it and if you figure ship/fitting and the barrel from the factory, price almost the same.  If my smithy wasnt so busy I would have it in a week, but this time about 2 weeks.  Turkey/Deer 20ga...what a deal ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 02:48:53 PM »
glad I ordered mine when I did. just picked up Pardner turkey barrel today. 7 weeks from sending it in, to my gun cabinet.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:44:27 PM »
A friend at work (with a FFL) says he can get me one. Now my only question is whether I should get the Youth model or the regular one. I figured on getting the regular one because I thought my boys would grow out of it so quickly, but I just measured my son's length of pull and indeed it is only ~12" (he is small for his age - 10).

Would the youth model (with only a 22" barrel) be useable on turkeys/ducks? Or am I wasting money on something they will quickly grow out of?
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 03:29:09 PM »
Can't really grow out of it...just change the butt stock and he's ready to keep goin'.  You won't find an easier carrying gun than a 22" Pardner.  And, if ya want more punch, you can always send it in for the 22" 12ga barrel.  I have one, a little kick to it, but its a great carry gun.  My next modified Pardner will be that 22" 12ga getting tapped for choke tubes, I THINK. ;D

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »
Leatherstock, barrel length won't make much (or any) difference on the effectiveness of the shotgun. In the old days you needed the extra long barrels to burn all the powder, not so anymore. Modern ammo has reached it's peak at 22". Most of us old guys shoot long barrels out of habit and the fact that they are a little more user friendly (better follow through). Get him the youth model to start with, it's inexpensive and easy to change the stock and forarm later.
A side note, I spent a BUNCH of money trying to find a shotgun for my wife, (she's a little gal), I finally got her a youth model Pardner 28ga, she loves it, you couldn't talk her out of that gun. Wish I'd have thought about that first...

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 03:02:01 PM »
Thanks again. Yeah I think about things too much. As long as the 22" barrel with a full choke can take a turkey or duck out to a reasonable distance (ie. 30-35 yds), I'd be happy.

By the way Dave - nice looking dog in that pic. I had a Brittany until December when I had to put him down. He was 14 and I had lots of great hunts with him.
NRA Life Member