Author Topic: .338 Federal in a Handi?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline macomb-rpj

• Trade Count: (0)
.338 Federal in a Handi?
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:19:46 PM »
Is there much of a chance that NEF will ever offer this  caliber as an option?

Would it be a suitable cartridge for this type of action?

If so are there other options for converting  a Handi to this chambering?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .338 Federal in a Handi?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:35:09 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! I think they may if they get enough requests for it. The only way to get there now would be a rechamber and rebore of a .308Win or other suitable donor barrel like a .24" 223 barrel. If you're gonna go to that expense(~$300), might as well go for a .338-06 A-Square from a 26" .25-06 barrel as Mac and I did,  instead of a .338 Fed in a 22"-24" barrel, the extra barrel length is worth a lot more in a single shot than the short action would offer in .338 Federal, IMO. A bolt gun would be different, but action length is a moot point with an H&R. The 26" .338-06 A-Square Ultra is capable of pushing the 180gr Accubond at well over 3000fps with 3gr less than max loads, and accuracy is superb!! ;)

Tim

EDIT: You'll see what I mean if you compare the 338 Federal data with the 338-06 data at the new Hodgdon site, we use BL-C2 in the 338-06.

http://data.hodgdon.com/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »

It wouldn't be a bad cartridge for them to chamber them to...I do like my A-square and it does offer quite a bit more than the Federal..... Having a 338 cal barrel of any design would be a good thing... ;)

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:35:07 AM »
I would much rather see it in .338-06, makes more sense.  Just like all the other short cartridges, they won't do anything that the longer cartridge don't already do.  And sometimes (like the .338 Fed X the .338-06) they can't even match the longer round.  And as Quick said, it is a mute point in a single shot.  Also compare the .350 Rem Mag to the .35 Whelen.  Ballistically twins, one short one long, The .350 will knock your socks loose with recoil, while the .35 is rather mild.  Same bullet, same velocity.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:23:06 AM »

I would rather see the 338-06 A-Square too....it offers more punch down range than it's smaller sibling...but I don't think they ever will. They have based their decisions in the past on what their polls around there give...not what the rest of the country wants. The 338 Federal isn't a bad cartridge,and there is a-lot of interest in it being shown with it in the gun mags..They are still sold on short actions...and the 338 Fed certainly fits right in there..It shouldn't matter in our single shots...One nice thing about it though....the ammo isn't going to cost about $50.00 a box...and if it does catch on..it's only a matter of time till the 338-06 A-Square gets look at again by many..folks always want a little more umph ;)

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00129F338FFS2

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=658767

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=987682

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=938061

Mac

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 05:40:25 AM »
Bigger isn't always better and the 338 Federal would be a good choice in the handi.  338x7BR or the 338 spectre would also be fun wildcat choices in that caliber. 
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:24:24 AM »
If longer was always better we would all be shooting 338 wm or lapua  (mind you I do shoot a 338wm but in a m77).  But it could be the right hammer for the right nail, matched up to the right gun it would make a good close in 200ish thumper.  And even if it is a commercial failure since it is 308 based you will be able to make ammo for it for the foreseeable future.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 04:31:49 AM »
I would rather have the shorter "tamer" round also.
More isn't always better.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:07:06 AM »
I would rather have the shorter "tamer" round also.
More isn't always better.

true, it's not and I think the 338 Fed would be a good round for any brand of rifle.

I just converted one rifle of mine to 338-06 and it will thump you.  This will be the first season for hunting with it but I cannot imagine there is anything in CA it would not put down with authority.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 01:10:42 AM »
.338 Fed interests me, too, but I have to take recoil into consideration. I've shot a .338 Win in a M70 with a full-size scope, and it kicked with authority even tho it weighed 9 pounds or more. It was tolerable, but I wouldn't shoot it for fun. Being much lighter, a Handi chambered for the "little" .338 Fed pushing a 200-grain bullet is gonna let you know when you touch it off.

While I'm daydreaming of perfect Handis, how about .250 Savage or .257 Roberts? I know Fred made a .257R, and it turned out well. It seems like the .25 caliber is a perfect balance of adequate bullet weight for deer and mild recoil, until you get to the bigger .25s. .25-35 might be worth reviving in the Handi, having a rim for good extraction.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 04:13:37 AM »
I've shot primarily the 180-200-210  grain weight bullets with my 338-06AS Ultra Handi Rifle,and the recoil isn't bad at all with any of them.Yes they let you know you have shot them..but I have shot many a 30-06 bolt gun that kicked much worse and there is no comparison between the fastest/heaviest load with the A-Square and the 338 Win mag in any rifle..my 338-06 AS handi is a lot lighter than quite a few of my bolt guns and it is not unpleasant to shoot...even with the factory recoil pad on it...While some may not need all the power the A-Square offers..it is there if and when you do...and there are a-lot of folks who like to shoot the larger cartridges...I like to look at the 338 Federal /338-06 A-Square like other similar cartridges..There doesn't seem to be a problem having either one of these...the 7-08/280 Remington...or the 308/30-06..All great cartridges...All based on the same family of them..Each have their own following...each are comparable with the different weight bullets......The main point to remember is...If they would at least make 1..it would be much easier to offer the other..

Mac