Author Topic: New Baby  (Read 1889 times)

Offline DaveShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
New Baby
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:15:33 PM »
I was in a local gun shop when I noticed a great looking used rifle in mint condition It was an 1873 H&R 45/70 Little Big Horn Commenrorative. Well it didn't take me long to take the new baby home to a loving family.I would love to hunt with this rifle . Darn if she so pretty all that case-color and all.This rifle came with a bag of 405 gr cast bullets along with 12 primed cases 3 cases loaded with 55 gr of ff. Isit alright to shoot remington factory loads in this rifle? A friend of mine whom hunts and killed an elk this past fall says factory loads are loaded low in cup so they can be used in all 45/70's.This rifle had the box but no manul with it. Thanks for any input.
DaveShooter ;D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: New Baby
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:46:40 PM »
It is safe for all lever gun loads as well as Ruger #1 loads but you may not shoot to many of them off the bench. Standing and shooting #1 loads in a hunting situation is no problem as well as just about any load of BP you can stuff into the 45/70 case. Thats a great gun, congratulations and have fun, let us know how it goes....<><.... :)

P.S. - yes you can safely shoot all factory 45/70 loads up to the powerful private brand loadings like the Garrets. That is a very strong action and gun....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:51:20 AM »
Thanks MSP For the info. It is a new toy for me not that I haven't shot blk powder rifles before just not in this configuration.Question do you know where the set screws are for the cam latch  one fellow told me to keep them tight so I don't shear the bottom of the screw off. Gentleman even told me to take them out one at a time and use a dab of blue loc-tite and put them back in the rifle.Gonna have to get the puppy out and check it out.
Thanks again
SaveShooter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:08:43 AM »
Set screw for cam latch???? Doesn't sound like an SB2 frame to me, I wouldn't be sure that it's safe for modern loads, I'm not sure MSP knows what this rifle is, I've not seen one, but if it's the model I'm thinking of, it's definitely not safe for even levergun loads, but just trapdoor loads. What's the serial number on the frame? A call to H&R may answer your question as to what loads are safe. Just don't want ya to hurt yourself or the rifle, better to be safe than sorry. H&R's toll free number is below. ;)

Tim

866-776-9292
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »
Tim it is a trap door. It is a little big horn.I talked with a fellow at trapdoor.com today you can shoot remington 45/70 govn't in it. Don't shoot the Ruger #1 loads or lever loads. On the remington factory loads it says all sporting arms.
I also was given some or a blk powder load 2f 55 gr 405 cast do not size case.I found the 2 allen head screws on the cam I took them both out and placed a drop of blue loc-tite on them and screwed them back in the latch where they came from. You don't have a man or book on this rifle I still want to read all I can before I shoot it. Thanks for the input.
DaveShooter

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:32:10 PM »
Tim it is a trap door. It is a little big horn.I talked with a fellow at trapdoor.com today you can shoot remington 45/70 govn't in it. Don't shoot the Ruger #1 loads or lever loads. On the remington factory loads it says all sporting arms.
I also was given some or a blk powder load 2f 55 gr 405 cast do not size case.I found the 2 allen head screws on the cam I took them both out and placed a drop of blue loc-tite on them and screwed them back in the latch where they came from. You don't have a man or book on this rifle I still want to read all I can before I shoot it. Thanks for the input.
DaveShooter
Tim I tryed to call H&R at the # you gave me. They told me they don't have any info on the older H&R products.They told me to call the atf for info so I did and what a run around. The national # sent me to the state I live in to another # etc. So I finally called it quits. Tim thanks anyway.
DaveShooter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »
Dave, I was afraid of that, but it didn't hurt. I only found some nice pics of it, at least others can admire your rifle!! ;)

Tim

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=8289

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 02:48:22 AM »
Tim is correct, I was mistakeing it for one of the fancy SB2 frames. I do believe I now know what it looks like but I have only seen a picture of one, were they also called the Officers Model?. Tim is also correct on not shooting Ruger #1 loads in it. Boy am I embarassed, I spoke to soon after making a bad assumption, and we all know what that makes me, ass/u & me, sorry....<><.... :-[
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 06:17:11 AM »
The Officer's model had a longer barrel and a cleaning rod under the barrel apparently, at least that's my guess as to what it is!! The Little Big Horn is a carbine.

Tim

Officer's Model
http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/ggps/8241/

Little Big Horn

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
Tim it is the carbine mine dosen't have The tang peep sight also mine dosen't have that pistol type grip. Hey I sure do thankyou and MSP for the info. I know for a factory load it will be remington  405Gr loads as in factory loads.And if I do reload nothing for Marlin or ruger #1 reloads in this rifle. Heck I may not even shoot this one at all. I just had a wild thot about going after an elk or whitetail with this puppy. I have aso gotten not to long ago my 3rd savage 99 lever rifle One is 300sav the other two are 234 and 308 cals.Thanks again all for the input.
DaveShooter
The Officer's model had a longer barrel and a cleaning rod under the barrel apparently, at least that's my guess as to what it is!! The Little Big Horn is a carbine.

Tim

Officer's Model
http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/ggps/8241/

Little Big Horn