Author Topic: Bipods for 30-06 Handi  (Read 754 times)

Offline R Cubed

• Trade Count: (0)
Bipods for 30-06 Handi
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »
I'm think of using a bipod on my 30-06 Handi. What has the forum members experienced with various Bipods and bipod manufactures. What should I look for for and avoid. Please share your knowledge and experiences...

For reference - it is a plane jane SB2 with wood stck and fore arm.

Thanks

Rick
Old Man - No Teeth No Money

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Bipods for 30-06 Handi
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:29:26 PM »
I hope you don't laugh at me, but I just use shooting sticks.  My set are 3/4 by 3/4 Oak with a bolt in them.  To shoot sitting I use it as a bypod, to shoot standing I use it as a mono pod with them straight up.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:36:51 PM »
No laughing here, I use a Stoney Point Explorer. It can be used sitting, kneeling or standing, very versatile and makes for very accurate shooting. Weighs just 16oz, I carry it on my shoulder with a deerskin sling on it, so light, I've forgot I was carrying it, thinking I left it behind a time or 3! ::)

Tim

http://www.stoneypoint.com/bipod_index.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline COLT45

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 08:30:16 PM »
TROTTERIGs cross sticks will work well. I use 1" dowel cross sticks for Cowboy 200 yd side matches ,using a BC with a Marbles Tang sight.
Mine has a nail at each end-sharp nail to put in the ground and a headless nail in the top end with an old belt with more holes punched in it to form an adjustable 'saddle' and a screw in the upper one thilrd to hold the sticks together.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:51:22 AM »
I also have a set of shooting sticks and they work great. look up Bi-Fur-Pod on the net or go to:
http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
They are cheap and esay to make, I made mine from some mahoganoy left over from decking the front porches....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:30:54 AM »
I'm going to have to go along with these other guys. I have 4 bipods ... sitting in the gun cabinet. I have 2 Harris and 2 Shooter's Ridge Rock Mounts bipods. I have the Stoney Point Shooting Stix that fold up pretty nicely but the legs get stuck in soft ground and cannot be easily moved without the legs pulling loose. After all of that, I will make my own shooting sticks just like the ones trotterlg has. I will order this Stoney Point v-yoke to put on top of one of the legs which I will make longer than the other on the top end so I can use it as a monopod when needed ..
 http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=421895

5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline MTGlass

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 04:37:45 AM »
I too use Varmit Al's Bi-Fur Pods.  I made two sets.  Walnut for me and a shorter set of oak for the kids.  I killed elk & antelope off them last year.

I also have a Caldwell bi-pod.  Shortest model available.  Works good & sturdy enough.  No springs in the height adjustment, just telescoping twist lock sleeves.  I seldom carry them afield.

Another option is the Snipe Pod.  http://www.snipepod.com/  They're pretty cool, weighing about 6oz.  I don't find them good for shooting strings as I have to reset the feet after each shot and you can't use them as an unattented rifle rack like you can the Bi-Fur pod, Harris or similar models.  I have a "sitting" length and in a pinch have used the upper sections as a prone bi-pod.  I killed a whitetail off them last year too.  I usually have these on my belt, even if I'm carrying my Bi-Fur pod.

A friend of mine is the inventor, engineer, chief marketing rep, etc.  You can catch him at the SHOT show, FNAWS, Safari club Intl. shows too.  Cabela's was carrying them but I haven't checked lately.  I don't know if you can order them direct from him.  I picked mine up at the shop.

Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 08:33:41 AM »
I too use Varmit Al's Bi-Fur Pods. 

Me too,mine looks like trotterlg and they sure work great.I was just using mine today shooting pop cans at 100 yards with my 233 with reduced loads I've worked up,made it easy.Mine are made just taking furring strip and  cutting to lenght and cutting in half,then painted mine black.I use the Harris bipod on mine shooting prone while sighting in or working up loads.

Go to varmital.com and check out the bi-fur pods,real easy to make,plus the site has all kinds of info you will like
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
I made two bi-fur pods
One for me and one for my brother.
We both love them.
Oak scraps
about 1" x 1/2"
His has lock nut mine have wing nut.

Offline R Cubed

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:58:18 AM »
Thanks Fellas - I'm now looking at making a bi-fur pod.

Rick
Old Man - No Teeth No Money

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 01:06:28 PM »
I made a shooting stick with fiberglass tent poles & a piece of leather strap on top. This year I ductaped a small Y to the legs & used it from my treestand (rock solid) not real pretty though.
                                                                             JAY
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 04:31:04 AM »
Another vote for the bi-fur pod,especially for my handi.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline top

• first sergeant usa (ret).
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »
Bigjeepman what a great ideal, making one side a little longer to use as a mon-o pod ! (you just got to love this site), just like PartsMan, i too use a Wing nut.shooters helping shooters. bi-fur-pod grown men accessorizing sticks. Hey this spell check is first rate.