Author Topic: Holographic, Holosights and Red Dot sights; good for rifle hunting?  (Read 519 times)

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I haven't heard any reliable comments on these non-telescopic sights and I am sure some of you have tried them.  I notice that most of the "dots" cover an area  larger than my groups at a hundred yards which I would think subtracts from accurate shooting.  I shot a friend's 22 Ruger Mk 1 with a Red Dot Sight and shot pretty accurately at about 25 yards.
Being as most hunters I know don't expect to hit anywhere near a minute of angle, I suspect that these devices are satisfactory for them.
Can anyone suggest which one is more satisfactory for rifle shooting?  Thanks.
Doc
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Holographic, Holosights and Red Dot sights; good for rifle hunting?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:45:46 PM »
I use a red dot on some hunting handguns, and on a Ruger MkIII .22LR for plinking.   I think the chief advantages are kind of infintessimal eye relief and easy target acquisition.  I like the 3 MOA dots for this purpose. which are fairly precise, but still short range propositions.  My longest shot on a deer with a handgun was about 50 yards.  I see our military now uses some pretty sophisticated looking electronic sights but I don't know much about them.
Compared to a typical riflescope though, you would sure give up a lot at the ranges which you generally use a rifle for.  A decent scope is brighter, clearer, more precise, and increases your accuracy potential far more. If mounted correctly on your rifle and chosen correctly for your use, eye relief and parallax are not issues.  If you like the advantages of the illuminated aiming point, you can get several riflescopes with dots or reticles that have various forms of illumination and even fractional MOA dots, so you get the "best of both worlds".
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.